• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 Southern Hemisphere Grow Down-Under

Hi All

It's getting to that stage where we need to plan the next growdown.

I can supply the Aji Cito seeds, but will need to get them posted pretty quick so get voting

I also have no issue if we go with something else, but will need to order in good time as it takes ages to get to NZ

If you vote 'Something Else' post a suggested variety

Poll closes Friday 27th April

General Rules
  • GROWDOWN BEGINS 21st JUNE
  • Seeds to be started on or after start date
  • Germinate and grow as many as you want
  • All grow styles and techniques welcome
  • Only one plant can count towards your entry
  • Nominate your growdown plant at first weigh in
  • Weigh each harvest, and post picture of pods on scales here
  • Heaviest total weight of pods in one year from start will be the winner
  • Honour system - If you cheat the Aphid Gods will know

KAOS said:
Two more join the party

Around 10 days to Sydney and Texas USA.

Good to have you on board. It would have been lonely beating Lewis by myself  :rofl:

Let the smack talk begin

PS: Don't forget to sterilise your seeds for at least 60 seconds in the microwave before using them. Coating them in SPF50 will aid in the transmutation as well.

Sorry, but I prefer the battery acid soak, just for 24 hours :D

I just got mine today.  :cheers:

Aji Cito.jpg

I could give this a go in my greenhouse in Wellington, I've been looking to grow other varieties. I was going to do reapers to add a bit of bite to my sauces. Couple of questions though, as I'm not an expert, I just put seeds in my growing containers and see what happens:
 - How do you germinate them in the middle of winter? My jalapeno plants are all 2-3 years old, I start them when it warms up a bit.
 - What is that variety of chill's good for? I mostly smoke my jalapenos and make chipotle sauce.

YAMracer754 said:
Too late to join the cito grow down?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Never too late. I'll try get some seeds in the mail for you today.

timnz said:
I could give this a go in my greenhouse in Wellington, I've been looking to grow other varieties. I was going to do reapers to add a bit of bite to my sauces. Couple of questions though, as I'm not an expert, I just put seeds in my growing containers and see what happens:
 - How do you germinate them in the middle of winter? My jalapeno plants are all 2-3 years old, I start them when it warms up a bit.
 - What is that variety of chill's good for? I mostly smoke my jalapenos and make chipotle sauce.

The Cito's, unlike some superhots, germinate quite easily so I suggest sowing them in some small pots and cover with no more than 5mm soil. Keep them in a warm spot and water from the bottom and you should have sprouts in a week or so.
All you need for winter start is a window that gets some sun during the day. By the time they get 'too big' for the window the weather should be ok for moving out to the greenhouse.
Cito's are same heat as Cayenne / Birds Eye with a fruity citrus taste. Great for any seafood dish or turning into powder for curries or to spice things up.

Seeds Received
KAOS - Hamilton New Zealand
Bob65 - Sydney Australia
High Country Crow - Victoria Australia
Dimensionz - Western Australia
Devv - Devine Texas
CSB - Xenia Ohio
UncleWalrus – Victoria Australia
Drathag - South Australia

Seeds AWOL
CarterKeynaee - Auckland New Zealand
DK Peppers - Denmark
Karoo – South Africa

Seeds to be sent (PM me your address)
YAMracer754 – USA
TimNZ – Wellington New Zealand

PM sent.

To germinate jalapenos I just cut a ripe pepper up into pieces and put it into a grow box. I did two a while back and even after thinning I got about 50 seedlings. I'll put a few inside and I'll put a few in the greenhouse, if they're easy they'll probably germinate in both places.

KAOS said:
Seeds Received
KAOS - Hamilton New Zealand
Bob65 - Sydney Australia
High Country Crow - Victoria Australia
Dimensionz - Western Australia
Devv - Devine Texas
CSB - Xenia Ohio
UncleWalrus – Victoria Australia

Seeds AWOL
CarterKeynaee - Auckland New Zealand
Drathag - South Australia
DK Peppers - Denmark
Karoo – South Africa

Seeds to be sent (PM me your address)
YAMracer754 – USA
TimNZ – Wellington New Zealand

I do want to post that I, and i'm all the others really appreciate you hosting this and bearing all the shipping costs ;)

That is very generous. Shipping in NZ is fairly expensive too - I can get a package from Amazon USA to Wellington cheaper than I can get it from Wellington to Auckland!

KAOS said:
Small price to pay for some community fun.

The cost of advice received on the forums far outweighs a few $$$

More than a pleasure
I hear that, the level of information here has saved me years of failures and led me to success my first year out instead of failures and loss of interest! Priceless!

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Back