• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 Super-hot Grow Log - Ghost & TM Scorpion

Just kicking things off with a small intro, and then logging current progress.

I've grown hot peppers before.  Mostly habaneros and jalapenos, but also some datils and some variety of caribbean peppers from a seed blend.  I've also done some hot jelly and hot sauce-making, but nothing too serious.

Since moving to Colorado, the drier air and more-intense sun have challenged me the last couple of seasons.  Particularly, since I don't have an in-ground or raised-bed garden, I only have pots to grow in.  I have a feeling that my primary nemesis is the sun, causing the pots and soil to heat up and scorch the roots...  I'll need to come up with a solution for this conundrum, because last year I barely got any fruit before the plants started getting spots and fruit began to blister or wilt.

This season, I plan to grow red habaneros, ghost peppers, and Trinidad Moruga Scorpions.  I got my TMS seeds from last season, when I purchased a plant from a local nursery.  The plant only provided a small amount of fruit before it also began to die off.  But I did save some of the seeds for this season.  I hope they're healthy!

• Initial planting for ghost and TMS seeds was 2/5/18.
  • First seedlings sprouted on 2/11/18
  • I just noticed a second set of leaves on some seedlings.  I imagine they're only a day or few old..?  Today is 2/26/18.
Seedlings were sprouted using Jiffy potting soil mix in plastic planting containers.  A heating mat was used beneath the pots and a low, clear cover kept moisture in.  Now, the seedlings are uncovered.

As I go along my journey with these plants, any suggestions, advice, and feedback you may have to offer will be greatly appreciated!

I don't have a lot of experience with growing anything, let alone in pots.  I know soil is important, as is fertilization.  But I just don't know much about where to begin conditioning soil for pepper growing.  I'll have to do some research.  Any advice here would be awesome!

Let's cap things off with a few photos....  ghost seedlings in the left containers, TMS in the right containers.

Initial planting (back container/dome is cacti seeds):
38696546560_c01f5224a1_o.jpg

First seedlings:
38696546400_eb3dda2864_o.jpg

Current photo, 2/26/18:
38696546200_e7c5f3b93b_o.jpg

I've been pretty bad at updating this grow log. Overall, things have been going okay, but not fantastic.

The plants definitely overheat in the hot summer sun, even with the cloth pots. Giving them cold water over lunchtime has helped keep the roots cooler and get them to peek up again. But I wonder if that repeated overheating has caused issues throughout the growing season.

I've also had some pests recently. In not sure what they are, since I never see anything on the plants. But we do have a lot of moths and I've noticed grasshoppers around. Symptoms have been pretty noticeable rounded bites out of the leaves. I didn't jump on it as soon as I should have, but a bit of neem oil seems to have settled things down a bit.

I also see leaves that are faded and not as green as I want to see. I've been lazy with the feeding schedule, which I think is the cause there. New growth leaves and buds look dark green. I'm guessing there aren't enough nutrients to feed the entire plant. Especially with two plants in a pot. I need to feed more often.

But I've gotten some fruit from all my plants. Seeds have been saved for next year already. Now I just need to figure out what to do with TMS peppers...... hot pepper jelly, I'm thinking.

Back