• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 - The Farm

Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

NzpDT8g.jpg

TrugNBb.jpg

From up on the roof, when I was doing some roof repairs on the outbuildings. Not much as far as the eye can see, but cornfields...

BZXHqMp.jpg

Has a 4 stall garage and a horse stable on the property

dHjylEo.jpg

GCjcX18.jpg

2N9v0Yf.jpg

Probably do my grow room upstairs here after I insulate it

HYVOyF0.jpg

Built some doors for the horse barn and patched the roof last month

NNO9Tcg.jpg

zfOwha1.jpg

Anyway just dropped a cold grand on seeds from pepperlover and buckeye, going to hit a greenhouse supplier up for other materials next week.

Have plans to build a 30x72' greenhouse in the spring, and a ~1200 sq foot dedicated grow room. Too late really to help with this year's grow, but next year it'll save me a lot of hassle on hardening off. 

The greenhouse, I am going to do a piped infloor heat slab, with a horizontal loop geothermal system (I own a mini excavator) that is solar powered. So heating should be nice, uniform, not create heat / cold bubbles, and not dry out plants like forced air would. I build circuit boards in my day job, so I will also build a microcontroller to handle the automated watering system with soil moisture monitors and actuated plumbing valves on the water supply.

Also plan on building a "deep winter" greenhouse for year round production. Got blueprints I made from a couple of years back, those are walled on three sides with heavy duty insulation, with the glass wall side angled to face winter solstice, so you can grow in the deep freeze months of the north. In the summer, those get hot enough to use as a natural dehydrator, replace the tables with racks for bulk drying.

Only doing a half acre or so of peppers to start with this year, the balance will be put in corn. I can't manage more than that with the labor I have available. (When you start talking thousands of plants, simple tasks like up-potting grow in to hundreds or thousands of man hours...)

Going to hire some local kids to help, school has a good ag co-op program for high schoolers, they can get school credit working on local farms. Since the plant out and harvest doesn't conflict too badly with corn, shouldn't have a problem finding labor around here.

Anyway, that's the plans.

We'll see how it goes.. er.. grows.

Table 5 - Passive Hydroponics, growth science A+B; these are the EXACT same transplant age as table 3 (two posts above), so it's clear how much ass-kicking that organic mix is doing vs. calibrated, precision passive hydroponics.

KcNvY9c.jpg

Ezx8Lrd.jpg

7rkiSP1.jpg

8dMGSxh.jpg

I mean, they're not BAD, it's just that the organics table is *massively* more mature than the passive hydroponics table; comparison photo here so you don't have to scroll up:

QdnIMHy.jpg

I'm glad I went through all of the frustration of working up an organic soil mix.

I'm not unhappy with the passive hydroponics, but holy shit, compared to the organic grow??? WOW.

Table 7 - Amish paste (right group), various mid-February heirloom tomatoes (left)

GuNRMGq.jpg

slro21X.jpg

Gd8cOR1.jpg

The left side is going to 1 gal pots this weekend, hopefully. The right hand group (amish paste) are ready to go in to the dirt....

I would like to see the Bio nova coco forte A+B in action, can you do a side by side test with some of the hydro table plants to see how it compare to the other stuff?

TrentL said:

BioNova did even worse... 

Strange, how much did you put that stuff in the water?

Do you have the EC meter to see how strong the fertilizer mix is and the ph should be around 6 to make the fertilizer work at it's best.

More transplants; right of the screwdriver done Wed Apr 4, left was done Tues Apr 10, last half of last table done Wed Apr 11

sVbnLMF.jpg

5VwoU8X.jpg

2rN01b4.jpg

wTaXIJu.jpg

EFfITTb.jpg

F5ScXvs.jpg

XBA0jUb.jpg

S63bsYq.jpg

About here is where Apr 11 transplant starts, can see dirt color change (more recently fertilized)

wvRqzXN.jpg

rHGQGkd.jpg

(about here is where Apr 10 starts)

TrentL said:
I am starting another round of tomatoes, if you want to see side-by-side bionova, growth science, and canna I can set it up

Yes, i would like to see that comparison and try to keep the fertilizer solution ph around the 5.8-6.0 mark for best nutrition uptake in coco coir growing.

Out of pure curiosity i will have to buy a Ghe ph test kit to see what is my fertilizer solution ph range with the B'cuzz A+B using the tapwater.

Here's the rest of the photos from that shoot above; didn't have time to get them uploaded yesterday. Most of these are transplants from the 'big pot up day' where I had 7 people out there.

eZ5yuZg.jpg

ZzEtYH1.jpg

WZzKvqD.jpg

b2ry0qQ.jpg

GOKBt99.jpg

1q7QYhO.jpg

y4y2ucM.jpg

AbJVaTe.jpg

2y25r77.jpg

zh8pfrC.jpg

SI6i5Wn.jpg

LWLdIeq.jpg

lMoQkVT.jpg

These are transplants from a week ago;

XAVIAdd.jpg

XVy24g9.jpg

4YOvTOC.jpg

These were potted up about 1.5 weeks ago

bn0eBuu.jpg

00OloTP.jpg

EKA17DR.jpg

bE780x4.jpg

Have a few more still to upload...  too many damn plants. :)

I feel so triggered seeing so many unburied stems in the pictures, if you transplant any of the chilis in bigger containers can you please tell them to bury those stems below the surface of the growing medium. :rofl:

Ok so two new problems.

First, one tray got a whiff of 2,4-D herbicide while being transported from my house to the farm. A half dozen plants were exposed to a very faint dose of 2,4-D. The squiggly center vein and rapidly deformed leaves are a dead giveaway, seen it before; the year my garden got wiped out, about this same time of year;

m210Hmr.jpg

iL6gQ3s.jpg

Second, SOMETHING started cutting leaves on my plants, and then, last night, I discovered it was EATING WHOLE PLANTS.

Thurs night I found about a dozen plants that'd been chewed on; searched, and searched, no pests visible.

Examples of the carnage thursday;

95mALoP.jpg

OE2OHsm.jpg

I3rWXJg.jpg

Friday evening I found new spourts had been eaten, cut in half, chewed up. And SOMETHING had been DIGGING in the soil.

9eZjXqT.jpg

FOrtunately ... rodent teeth marks Friday eve positively ID'd the culprit

G9yYEfV.jpg

So countermeasures were employed.

M2lZ5q4.jpg

1Trq9uI.jpg

upN4Mg3.jpg

Chilidude said:
I feel so triggered seeing so many unburied stems in the pictures, if you transplant any of the chilis in bigger containers can you please tell them to bury those stems below the surface of the growing medium. :rofl:

Those *were* transplanted clear to the bottom of the pot, dude. That's just how tall some of those annuums got.

Back