• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 - The Farm

Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

NzpDT8g.jpg

TrugNBb.jpg

From up on the roof, when I was doing some roof repairs on the outbuildings. Not much as far as the eye can see, but cornfields...

BZXHqMp.jpg

Has a 4 stall garage and a horse stable on the property

dHjylEo.jpg

GCjcX18.jpg

2N9v0Yf.jpg

Probably do my grow room upstairs here after I insulate it

HYVOyF0.jpg

Built some doors for the horse barn and patched the roof last month

NNO9Tcg.jpg

zfOwha1.jpg

Anyway just dropped a cold grand on seeds from pepperlover and buckeye, going to hit a greenhouse supplier up for other materials next week.

Have plans to build a 30x72' greenhouse in the spring, and a ~1200 sq foot dedicated grow room. Too late really to help with this year's grow, but next year it'll save me a lot of hassle on hardening off. 

The greenhouse, I am going to do a piped infloor heat slab, with a horizontal loop geothermal system (I own a mini excavator) that is solar powered. So heating should be nice, uniform, not create heat / cold bubbles, and not dry out plants like forced air would. I build circuit boards in my day job, so I will also build a microcontroller to handle the automated watering system with soil moisture monitors and actuated plumbing valves on the water supply.

Also plan on building a "deep winter" greenhouse for year round production. Got blueprints I made from a couple of years back, those are walled on three sides with heavy duty insulation, with the glass wall side angled to face winter solstice, so you can grow in the deep freeze months of the north. In the summer, those get hot enough to use as a natural dehydrator, replace the tables with racks for bulk drying.

Only doing a half acre or so of peppers to start with this year, the balance will be put in corn. I can't manage more than that with the labor I have available. (When you start talking thousands of plants, simple tasks like up-potting grow in to hundreds or thousands of man hours...)

Going to hire some local kids to help, school has a good ag co-op program for high schoolers, they can get school credit working on local farms. Since the plant out and harvest doesn't conflict too badly with corn, shouldn't have a problem finding labor around here.

Anyway, that's the plans.

We'll see how it goes.. er.. grows.

Still working on getting these tomatoes strung. Was too cold today for it, was snapping the branches, so I spent all day weeding instead.

They are a TANGLED MESS so this is very slow going.

CgmBIjA.jpg

Ot9B4xO.jpg

VRh4TZQ.jpg

NguX1MF.jpg

Straw getting deployed, too.

Cantaloupe and muskmelons;

G2jXJ7Y.jpg

Okra
tO0k2Ed.jpg

What hasn't been eaten of my cucumbers. We replanted seeds there today for the THIRD TIME.

yaNGUeu.jpg

And somewhere in that mess of straw, is my wife's wedding ring. She lost it today tossing straw around. 

We looked .. and looked.. and looked. and finally had to tell everyone to get back to work because we'd burned 6 frigging man hours looking for a lost golden ring in a field of golden straw.  (Scale is hard to tell those rows are 56' long)

I dont know how long the season is in Delavan, but if you did a open field growing like that in here, there would be pretty much zero change for the c.chinense to ripe any pods in time before the first frost would come and kill the plants.

Chilidude said:
I dont know how long the season is in Delavan, but if you did a open field growing like that in here, there would be pretty much zero change for the c.chinense to ripe any pods in time before the first frost would come and kill the plants.

Usually I can run plants until late October outdoors. October 24-26 is when I've normally had fatal frosts in the past. Around the first week of october I'll cut back all growth that doesn't look like it will ripen in time - just wholesale slaughter on the plants, every rogue branch with immature pods, any non-producing branches, etc - just to hasten the last of the pods along so they finish before the first fatal frost. 

I should have a pretty healthy chinense harvest in about 4 weeks. I'm already starting to pick early pods off of some annuums, but most of my chinense are just setting flowers. Reapers, MOA Scotch Bonnets, Big Sun Habanero, and others - all of them *just* opened flowers today, in fact! So in about a month those will be the first ripe pods. 

With these unexpected cooler temps we have right now as that first batch of flowers are opening on the chinense, I should get fantastic pollination rates. The field literally HUMS with bees now!

TrentL said:
With these unexpected cooler temps we have right now as that first batch of flowers are opening on the chinense, I should get fantastic pollination rates. The field literally HUMS with bees now!

At the moment we do not have that much bees or other insects flying around, however we do have plenty of mosquitos for everyone and yesterday i killed the first damn horsefly that was biting my foot, also soon the blackfly too comes to annoy everyone.

Chilidude said:

Here's the 90th percentile on our 32F frost date (~ Oct 25).

Green cross denotes approx location of the farm, right on the southern edge of Tazewell county

lCD1aSt.png

And the 90th percentile of the first 28F (hard) frost date; which is around Nov 2.

0PDBsdU.png

I'm hoping that next year, as we begin deploying more high tunnels, the growing season will be extended a few weeks. The high tunnels should hopefully buy me 1-2 weeks each way on the growing season; especially if I also deploy low tunnels inside the high tunnel (creating a dual micro climate).

I'd REALLY like to be the first to market next year with produce, I'm getting my ass kicked this year by other area vegetable growers who are getting to farmers markets faster than I am. :)

Your plants are looking great.
That sucks about your wife’s wedding ring. Maybe sweep the area with a metal detector? Are the stakes for the weed blocker metal?
Did you turn your worker into a pepper head ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Your plants are looking great.
That sucks about your wife’s wedding ring. Maybe sweep the area with a metal detector? Are the stakes for the weed blocker metal?
Did you turn your worker into a pepper head ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah my mother brought over a metal detector, no joy. She was flipping out about it because the ring was worn in her first marriage, and has been in the family for a while; my great grandmother handed it down to her when my mother got married young (18) and they were too broke to afford rings. So yeah, family heirloom, mom is PISSED.

Mother found every metal stake in the ground fabric though. The metal t-posts were likely also interfering with her readings.

The worker wants to try a Reaper when they're ready. He's leaving us soon to go work at a local auto dealership but said he wants to bring his dad out to see if he can get his dad to cry. :)

I'm quite relieved to see the farm Trent; all that hard work is paying off.

My wife lost her wedding ring in the garden back in the 90's 2-4 years later my son was playing in the garden and pulled a stick out of the dirt with LB's ring on it. I really hope 'yall find that ring. I'd be out there after every rain to look.

Ghaleon said:
Chocolate Bhutlah would be the way to go for that.

I grew a brown moruga plant a few years ago, damn thing was so hot it blistered the inside of my gums. The instant I took a bite I knew I was in trouble, mouth went totally numb like the dentist just shot me full of novacaine. I started walking back towards the house because I knew I was gonna be hitting the milk, and WHAM there it hit. Like getting punched in the mouth by someone holding a fistfull of razorblades embedded in gloves of salt. 

DAMN that hurt. 

I hit the hose instead. Flush my mouth out, head inside, it is hurting, like physical pain, not burning. Inside of my gums had little blisters on them.

That sonofabitch was HOT. 

Devv said:
I'm quite relieved to see the farm Trent; all that hard work is paying off.

My wife lost her wedding ring in the garden back in the 90's 2-4 years later my son was playing in the garden and pulled a stick out of the dirt with LB's ring on it. I really hope 'yall find that ring. I'd be out there after every rain to look.

Well, I sure can't complain about the health of the pepper plants. They're growing about as perfect as I could ever want. 

My tomatoes are growing fast, showing some signs of nitrogen deficiency, but I also hadn't pruned them like I should. Each tomato plant is losing about half it's vegetative mass as I string them up and prune off (now 2-3 foot long) suckers, and the ones I did earlier in the week have leaves that are darkening back up again and looking real good. 

Some of my indeterminates (Nepals, Rose) are looking more like bush tomatoes at this point! I never got around to pruning them so there's about 20 vines now on each, all a uniform 1.5' long, standing straight up, like a damn bush tomato plant - I actually have to check tags to tell those apart from my determinate Ace 55's! Very odd how these grow differently than others. Meanwhile those Amish Paste are some of the lankiest, longest, viney-est tomato plants I've ever seen. Some are 6-7' tall now, sprawling from row to row, tangling up with each other. It's a real mess I'm having to wade through. 

Like the ground cover, my wire rope was delayed over a month, so I'm WAY overdue stringing them and it's going 50x slower than it would have 5 weeks ago.

I ordered the wire rope for the tomato field back on 5/15 (we set posts that week).

Rope didn't arrive until 6/12! By then the tomato plants had grown several feet. They're now growing 6-8 inches *every day*, with some suckers growing from 3" to 15" in just two days. It's like you lit a match on 'em!

zQV3jQG.png

ewXKr1U.png

IHZbzGU.png

fVw5xl1.jpg

She sent me a pic and said "I know the weed on the left is buttonweed, but what's the one on the right?"

"Mom, you of all damn people know what marijuana looks like."

I think our park cop is blind, the damn thing is 8' from the road, facing the road, backdropped by white boulders, and every bit of 5 foot tall....

It's not hemp, that branches out way differently; this is marijuana.

Probably some local Yute dumped his stash there when he saw the park cops coming, or a couple of kids tossed a roach (unburnt end of a joint) over there while they were on a walk through the park.

Or it might be a senior prank, kids planting marijuana around town like little easter eggs?

Back