• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2018 - The Farm

Well, I've been gone a few years from the board, and away from growing peppers, but looks like life is pushing me back that way again. 

I recently (last month) closed on a 25 acre farm in Central Illinois with some primo soil, and I'm going to give a commercial grow a test run. 

NzpDT8g.jpg

TrugNBb.jpg

From up on the roof, when I was doing some roof repairs on the outbuildings. Not much as far as the eye can see, but cornfields...

BZXHqMp.jpg

Has a 4 stall garage and a horse stable on the property

dHjylEo.jpg

GCjcX18.jpg

2N9v0Yf.jpg

Probably do my grow room upstairs here after I insulate it

HYVOyF0.jpg

Built some doors for the horse barn and patched the roof last month

NNO9Tcg.jpg

zfOwha1.jpg

Anyway just dropped a cold grand on seeds from pepperlover and buckeye, going to hit a greenhouse supplier up for other materials next week.

Have plans to build a 30x72' greenhouse in the spring, and a ~1200 sq foot dedicated grow room. Too late really to help with this year's grow, but next year it'll save me a lot of hassle on hardening off. 

The greenhouse, I am going to do a piped infloor heat slab, with a horizontal loop geothermal system (I own a mini excavator) that is solar powered. So heating should be nice, uniform, not create heat / cold bubbles, and not dry out plants like forced air would. I build circuit boards in my day job, so I will also build a microcontroller to handle the automated watering system with soil moisture monitors and actuated plumbing valves on the water supply.

Also plan on building a "deep winter" greenhouse for year round production. Got blueprints I made from a couple of years back, those are walled on three sides with heavy duty insulation, with the glass wall side angled to face winter solstice, so you can grow in the deep freeze months of the north. In the summer, those get hot enough to use as a natural dehydrator, replace the tables with racks for bulk drying.

Only doing a half acre or so of peppers to start with this year, the balance will be put in corn. I can't manage more than that with the labor I have available. (When you start talking thousands of plants, simple tasks like up-potting grow in to hundreds or thousands of man hours...)

Going to hire some local kids to help, school has a good ag co-op program for high schoolers, they can get school credit working on local farms. Since the plant out and harvest doesn't conflict too badly with corn, shouldn't have a problem finding labor around here.

Anyway, that's the plans.

We'll see how it goes.. er.. grows.

Market Saturday was another disappointment. Only had a bushel of peppers and of that, sold a half bushel total for $60 revenue.

Booth was $20, those quart baskets are 55 cents, so gross profit was only $31.

It took me 3 hours to pick, 1 hour to wash and dry, and my wife and I both put in 5 hours at the market for a total of 14 hours of labor. 

So we made $2.21 an hour.

C5UuCHL.jpg

I brought home the half bushel that was unsold, sliced 'em up, and stuck all of it in the dehydrator.

Do you do any advertising? Maybe try marketing your products as “must have “ ,“ limited quantities “ or something like that. Maybe educate potential customers on how to use your products? Free samples? Recipes with your products?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PtMD989 said:
Do you do any advertising? Maybe try marketing your products as “must have “ ,“ limited quantities “ or something like that. Maybe educate potential customers on how to use your products? Free samples? Recipes with your products?

When we get our little retail space done we'll do some advertising. Should be open first week of August. After that we do "organic" marketing.. road signs with arrows, etc. It's a small close knit community around here so word should spread pretty quick.

Can't believe I can fit a half bushel in this dehydrator...

U3NSmoL.jpg

cGmbsFJ.jpg

It's been running 24 hours now, very humid so taking a while. The trays were absolutely STUFFED when I started it yesterday. They've shrunk a bit. 

Picked a peck and a half of pickling cucumbers today, and a couple ripe cantaloupe. My kids ate the cantaloupe, the cucumbers went to my mother who wanted to make pickles.

4UH5XxK.jpg

Next time some idiot decides to do cucumber rows 3 feet apart, beat some sense in to him ok?  It took me a half hour to make my way up one damn row today, getting vines out of the way as I went. :)

rWwmTxy.jpg

Walchit said:
Nobody buying sfrbs on here? Or you not trying to do the shipping?

Really don't have the variety for it right now. Just got 4 types ripening. In a few weeks? Sure.

But unless someone wants a 1 1/9 bushel box of Billy Biker Jalapenos or something, well.. kind of limited on shipping options right now. :)

I have 3 3/4 rows of Yellow Fatalli (100' rows, ~190 plants) and the plants are ALL getting loaded up.

1NQHHhj.jpg

YWuayDr.jpg

9SYyr2v.jpg

We will be harvesting many bushels of those this year. There's hundreds of flowers on each plant, just waiting to pop pods.

Lots of Fresno finally putting on color.

0Nt8wsp.jpg

Xti6lIk.jpg

Those are some mighty fine snacking peppers. I tossed a few in my pocket to munch on as I went through the rest of the field.

Oddly enough, Poblano don't seem to be very heat tolerant. We had LOTS of flower drop off of them during last weeks' heat wave.

Yn9uR8B.jpg

Very few pods but the poblano that are producing, are doing pretty well.

bFj9VSm.jpg

Here's a world of hurt: a couple hundred row-feet of frigging Moruga x Reaper podding up like crazy

BeZNg5i.jpg

The rows of Serrano (drying serrano, specifically) are doing pretty well. I had a lot of these NOT grow true, not sure what the deal was with that. Might have been one of the temp workers mixing up tags or something.

uUhKd8k.jpg

ljJvuCX.jpg

The Farmers Jalapenos are doing well. I've taken to calling these Woodies. I think they might be great stuffers, the batter should stick well to that skin.

ExlV7JH.jpg

OsOR4B0.jpg

4vPqGvq.jpg

The Turkish Cayenne (250+ plants) are doing PHENOMINAL amounts of production.  Every single plant is loaded to the hilt.

tQ4qwaI.jpg

Kl5VAxo.jpg

6qnn9Zz.jpg

Didn't really look like the MOA scotch bonnets were doing much of anything until I laid down, lifted up their skirts, and took a peek.

bqvg48v.jpg

pJYHC7v.jpg

jmQ7ayt.jpg

I have NO FRIGGING IDEA how in the hell I'm gonna get in and harvest these damn tomato plants. I gave up on stringing them after I got done with 6 rows, too much other stuff got priority. So 9 rows are not strung, and just.. kind.. of ATE THE WHOLE FRIGGING PASTURE.

LzoyEM4.jpg

SCQrCC5.jpg

uz6X69n.jpg

Thanks for the update.
Great early morning reading.
Good motivational material for us at the lower end of the world, 6 months behind you

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

TrentL said:
Aji Limo

FQ43g7E.jpg

ntB3IfN.jpg

ntB3IfN.jpg

I have a little over 100 of those planted, I have no idea what the hell I'm gonna do with all those pods. 

If those pods have any lemon taste to them, then perhaps they would be useful for chicken or seafood as dried flakes or powder.

Wow!  Thrilled to see the plants doing so well!  Just out of curiosity, how many acres did you end up having planted and how many people does it take to harvest?

nmlarson said:
Wow!  Thrilled to see the plants doing so well!  Just out of curiosity, how many acres did you end up having planted and how many people does it take to harvest?

We had a little over 2 acres planted, will have another half acre tilled up soon for some fall crops.

Don't know about how many it'll take to harvest, not there yet. Right now the first picking are glacially slow as the first ripe pods are very low on the plant, which means lots of crawling down 100' long rows to pull off pods.

Glad to see everything coming together. Plants are looking great [emoji106]. How many farmers markets do you sell at? Does the weed blocker keep the mud down when you get the heavy rain fall?

Back