• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2019 Hay Bale Pepper Patch

I've been a member for a while but never posted a grow log. My usual garden is too boring for that. I use 20-30 pots and overwinter my mama plants in a hillbilly winter shelter. Our ground here isn't good for in soil gardening and I've not been enthused enough to undertake the work and expense to build raised beds.

Now I have my peppers working the way I want and have the need for a much larger grow to supply a project. The main peppers I'll grow will be reaper, douglah and fatalii. For a couple of years I'll do hay bale gardens and heap tons of organic trash into the area. I have monumental amounts of pine straw, oak leaves and bonfire ash every year to dump in the walkways. I think this will do a world of good to make this new garden area mo'betta for eventual in ground growing.

I closed off a 38x38 patch in the NE field that gets full sun. This is the area I chose. The big painted guy is my fertilizer supplier.

The little painted guy is my running buddy and load inspector.

Attachments

• layout.jpeg
    layout.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 6,279
  • cody hay inspector.jpg
    cody hay inspector.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 273
Yes, I'm definitely gonna be compressing my bales. Here's what they look like inside from the top down. Yummy.

I'll plant my pole beans outside the garden area and let them climb the cattle panels on the fence to the left. Tomatoes will grow at all the row ends so the end posts can act as very sturdy supports for the indeterminate vines. Whaddya think about them maters Matty?

RpXdItB.jpg

The mater pics you posted the other day you mean Dee?? And unless I missed something from then to now they looked fantastic. Most of your stuff is dirt ready once your weather calls for it, which I assume should not be too long eh....

The above bed you have is just astounding and your plants are gonna thrive hard in those bad boys Dee, isn't going to matter what you toss in there.

This fatalii tuned out to be my "coal mine canary"  so to speak. I did a "let the suckers go dry" test and this fatalii is the one that folded. Literally.

When I went out to check on things Monday, she was wilted like spinach leaves cooking in hot bacon grease. Even worse, the stem had a serious lean within the sockpot and she couldn't stand up. Like it all broke loose inside. I quicklike gave her some water, gave her something to lean on and fed/watered everything else after that.

She was recovered by Tuesday but was still all floppity in the sock and I couldn't rig up an adequate stick support that had a prayer of working. I went ahead and buried the sockpot as deep as possible in a 6" nursery pot and banked up the stem. Then I got the idea of making a coffee can kindasorta kratky rig to store her pot in until I plant her outside in a couple weeks. I put 8 cups of 25% MasterBlend in the coffee can and stuck the pot in there. She seems to be rather pleased with herself at this point.

LhUOczt.jpg

CDNmatt said:
The mater pics you posted the other day you mean Dee??

That was more of a "whaddya think about that shit" type of question. Like, what do you think of growing a mater plant on the end of every row and using the double posts as a mater ladder? Most of those posts are 6 ft or so and fairly sturdy.

DWB said:
This fatalii tuned out to be my "coal mine canary"  so to speak. I did a "let the suckers go dry" test and this fatalii is the one that folded. Literally.

When I went out to check on things Monday, she was wilted like spinach leaves cooking in hot bacon grease. Even worse, the stem had a serious lean within the sockpot and she couldn't stand up. Like it all broke loose inside. I quicklike gave her some water, gave her something to lean on and fed/watered everything else after that.

She was recovered by Tuesday but was still all floppity in the sock and I couldn't rig up an adequate stick support that had a prayer of working. I went ahead and buried the sockpot as deep as possible in a 6" nursery pot and banked up the stem. Then I got the idea of making a coffee can kindasorta kratky rig to store her pot in until I plant her outside in a couple weeks. I put 8 cups of 25% MasterBlend in the coffee can and stuck the pot in there. She seems to be rather pleased with herself at this point.

LhUOczt.jpg
I like it, plant is nice looking buddy and thats a lot of maters

DWB said:
Yes, I'm definitely gonna be compressing my bales. Here's what they look like inside from the top down. Yummy.

I'll plant my pole beans outside the garden area and let them climb the cattle panels on the fence to the left. Tomatoes will grow at all the row ends so the end posts can act as very sturdy supports for the indeterminate vines. Whaddya think about them maters Matty?

RpXdItB.jpg

OH...tha' shi' gots ta smell ge-e-e-e-e-e-e-wwwwd!!

I for one cannot wait for your plant-out....

Dee those damn maters shot right up in the past week man....Are the roots coming through the sides of the bags yet??

I ended up getting a refund for the orig ones I bought (22x20s) and bought some others aboot a week ago. At least this one has tracking on it, still not super fast but should be here by the time I need them for my maters at least, will be too late I figure for the peppers.

Back