• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2019 Hay Bale Pepper Patch

I've been a member for a while but never posted a grow log. My usual garden is too boring for that. I use 20-30 pots and overwinter my mama plants in a hillbilly winter shelter. Our ground here isn't good for in soil gardening and I've not been enthused enough to undertake the work and expense to build raised beds.

Now I have my peppers working the way I want and have the need for a much larger grow to supply a project. The main peppers I'll grow will be reaper, douglah and fatalii. For a couple of years I'll do hay bale gardens and heap tons of organic trash into the area. I have monumental amounts of pine straw, oak leaves and bonfire ash every year to dump in the walkways. I think this will do a world of good to make this new garden area mo'betta for eventual in ground growing.

I closed off a 38x38 patch in the NE field that gets full sun. This is the area I chose. The big painted guy is my fertilizer supplier.

The little painted guy is my running buddy and load inspector.

Attachments

• layout.jpeg
    layout.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 6,301
  • cody hay inspector.jpg
    cody hay inspector.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 276
DWB said:
Thanks guys. Our ground doesn't freeze but I think the plants would probably die with no light.

If any actually survived the recent cold, I may try a few by covering deeply only when the cold is here.

You may be surprised man, they can definitely go dormant or semi-dormant even outdoors.  My buddy overwintered a Sugar Rush, B. Goat and Fatali this past winter outside in ground. They went gangbusters this spring. I think if you can keep the rootzones insulated you have a shot. The plant will still be able to move water and nutrients, albeit much slower. If your ground freezes they are usually done. You will definitely lose some branches in the process, but I tend to treat it like frost bite and just clip em if necessary. Mulch super deep and maybe a frost blanket on the coldest of nights? Im in CA and we get only a handful of sub-freezing nights a year, so take that for what its worth. 

This has been cool to follow along with man. I think you redefined "hay bale gardening" for a few. Lol.

NorCaliente916 said:

You may be surprised man, they can definitely go dormant or semi-dormant even outdoors.  My buddy overwintered a Sugar Rush, B. Goat and Fatali this past winter outside in ground. They went gangbusters this spring. I think if you can keep the rootzones insulated you have a shot. The plant will still be able to move water and nutrients, albeit much slower. If your ground freezes they are usually done. You will definitely lose some branches in the process, but I tend to treat it like frost bite and just clip em if necessary. Mulch super deep and maybe a frost blanket on the coldest of nights? Im in CA and we get only a handful of sub-freezing nights a year, so take that for what its worth. 

This has been cool to follow along with man. I think you redefined "hay bale gardening" for a few. Lol.

Do you think the plants could be cut off above the first forks and survive if buried deeply in composting material? I know I can keep them from freezing but I wonder about them being in the dark for so long and not being able to show any green to the sun. Any exposed green or brown will never make it. The plants will have to come back from the buried wood but all I need is one sprout per plant.

Thanks for following along and thanks for the advice along the way. I know I've redefined my idea of growing in hay bales. Fresh bales just don't work that well.

PaulG said:
Do you have chickens? They are a super nutritious
source of protein and the chickens love 'em.

No chickens but it sounds like fun. Gather around the slop bucket and feed with chopsticks ;)

My neighbor grows the chickens and supplies the huge amount of eggs I use in the pups meals. I told him about the BSF months ago and he expressed no interest at all even though they're one of the richest sources of protein and fat.

DWB said:

No chickens but it sounds like fun. Gather around the slop bucket and feed with chopsticks ;)
My neighbor grows the chickens and supplies the huge amount of eggs I use in the pups meals. I told him about the BSF months ago and he expressed no interest at all even though they're one of the richest sources of protein and fat.

Not sure I'd want that feeding duty!

I have read that when they pupate, they crawl
up the sides of their containers and fall to the
ground, where the chickens slurp them up. I 
have also read they could be a  potential protein
source, sort of like crickets.

PaulG said:
I have read that when they pupate, they crawl
up the sides of their containers and fall to the
ground, where the chickens slurp them up. I 
have also read they could be a  potential protein
source, sort of like crickets.

Here's what the sleeved and socked bucket looks like. 15 gallon exterior bucket with 5 gallon perforated interior bucket sitting on concrete to set the proper level. 5 gallon paint strainer to hold all the goo and the larvae. Loosely fitted 5 gallon and 15 gallon lids cover the top. Ramps available for the pupae to escape but all you see climbing around here look like larvae to me. Maybe they don't turn black in the colder weather?

There's about a foot of liquid in the outer bucket. Seems like that has to be liquid gold for a garden.

I think these critters are around 40% protein and 30% fat.

qS1cVdL.jpg

No signs of life.

1QRratn.jpg

Thanks. If it weren't for those 11 hours below freezing, I'd be out picking peppers. It's 75° today. It's a real pisser because the plants are loaded with ruined pods.

Cleaning up should be simple. Since I have to pull the posts and roll the fence wire to rearrange for next year, I think I'll drop the cable, drive in with the Kubota and just shred everything right back into the garden.

DWB said:
Thanks. If it weren't for those 11 hours below freezing, I'd be out picking peppers. It's 75° today. It's a real pisser because the plants are loaded with ruined pods.

Cleaning up should be simple. Since I have to pull the posts and roll the fence wire to rearrange for next year, I think I'll drop the cable, drive in with the Kubota and just shred everything right back into the garden.

Sounds like a great plan, DW.

That should produce a lot of mulch/compost
for you.

Sorry to see the jungle get hit with the cold. I was halfway to Murrells Inlet when the front hit in Mississippi. Last Tuesday (12th) was supposed to be 22° there @ wake up. We lucked out and it was 31°. I will say the weather in SC. sucked with all the wind.

We only had a mild frost here, some damage to the green beans and the Chinense, but no real losses. It's been my experience the BSF kind of go away once the cold starts, but manage to kick back in once it warms.

This may well be a blessing in disguise, now you have a break and can prep for the next grow.

DownRiver said:
Thanks for the ride DW. Had a lot of fun.

What's next? :whistle:

Not sure. The plants are showing signs of life outta the lower wood. Some sprouts are a foot long already. I have to learn more about overwintering buried plants that have little or no light. My next season will be dirt simple if the current crop of jungle monsters can come back for another go. I have cut off some of the less desirables at ground level but otherwise, I'm watching and waiting.

Devv said:
Sorry to see the jungle get hit with the cold. I was halfway to Murrells Inlet when the front hit in Mississippi. Last Tuesday (12th) was supposed to be 22° there @ wake up. We lucked out and it was 31°. I will say the weather in SC. sucked with all the wind.

We only had a mild frost here, some damage to the green beans and the Chinense, but no real losses. It's been my experience the BSF kind of go away once the cold starts, but manage to kick back in once it warms.

This may well be a blessing in disguise, now you have a break and can prep for the next grow.

I'm glad it ended when it did. Too much time plus I got another full-time project two weeks ago today. Our 15 year old tortoise shell calico was gravely injured and I'm nursing her back to health.

So now that we've determined what can happen late season in a hot and miserable climate, we need to figure out what's up with your late season pepper crop in similarly miserable conditions. My mother said she heard on the news this was the hottest summer in lower alabammy... ever.

It would be awesome to see those grow all winter.
What are your typical low temps in your part of
Alabama? If they can just stay alive, you could
always trim the lanky new growth a bit come Spring.
Will be an interesting experiment.

Back