• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

20gal brutes

It was my understanding that you planned to move them indoors? And I just thought you may have trouble with the ceiling. I know in my setup I would thanks to an old house with low ceilings.

HP22BH said:
Headroom?  You lost me.

Most Chinense(mine) get 6+ feet  in the ground, 7.5+ in containers, so you can imagine how tall they would get in trashcans that are already 2.5-4 feet tall.

millworkman said:
You still want drain holes. 20 gal isn't large enough to regulate the moisture level like that. I would say 150 or larger might but Def not 20.
Sometimes we have to just do things the hard way and give you credit later for knowing better, but I DO appreciate the continued criticism.

kgetpeppers said:
if you get a heavy rain it will be soaked for like a month
I can at any time employ a sump type system to purge the trashcan of excess water.

If it is a nice and tall/narrow container, such as this trashcan, you may be ok.  But if you start seeing issues I would pop holes in the bottom ASAP.  Maybe not at the bottom, but like 2-4 inches from.  That way you have a nice reservoir for the roots to suck from but not too much to cause drainage issues.

MrBubblehead said:
It was my understanding that you planned to move them indoors? And I just thought you may have trouble with the ceiling. I know in my setup I would thanks to an old house with low ceilings.
Oh, OK. no, these will probably just go this season. I don't know if I will ever bring plants back indoors again once they have been outside.
millworkman said:
If it is a nice and tall/narrow container, such as this trashcan, you may be ok.  But if you start seeing issues I would pop holes in the bottom ASAP.  Maybe not at the bottom, but like 2-4 inches from.  That way you have a nice reservoir for the roots to suck from but not too much to cause drainage issues.
sounds like a plan. but till then, I will from time to time be up to my shoulder in potting soil checking moisture levels at the bottom of the trash can. :)

Be careful, a good sized plant in a container that shape can tip over fairly easily from a strong gust of wind if you don't have some kind of addt'l support in place.

Another option for a 20+ gallon container is to buy used food-grade 55 gallon plastic drums and cut them in half to make two containers.  Around here they go for about $10 ea. on craigslist, or less in volume.  The diameter may seem large but a healthy plant will be that wide anyway and as mentioned above a lower profile will be more wind resistant.

Brown Moruga in 20gal brute

Brown Moruga.jpg

i thought about doing this, i have a couple extra 90 gallon rain barrels, but i dont think ill use them for this, to heavy to move around lol. im interested in how this works out though, looks like it might be good, and the plants are looking pretty healthy

So far, So good.
Today is the first day in the last 4 that it has not rained. Sump pump ran quite a bit so that should be a pretty good indicator of somewhat significant rainfall. I checked the Brutes and although the soil is moist at 12" depth, it is also well drained. A good first trial.

Buds are starting to appear all over And I will probably give it a little food tomorrow. Temps are supposed to be increasing this next week and I anticipate some growth spurts when that happens.

No can do. I won't bring into the grow room, anything that has been outside.
Now, I may pull one of my nicest specimens and leave it indoors as permanent indoor grow.

Proud Marine Dad said:
Looking good but don't mock science or you will lose. :rofl:
Oh no, I am walking a tightrope and know it. watching for any signs of excessive water ie yellowing of leaves or enema. So far though, seems like a ways to go.

Headroom - garbage can + plant growing crazy = you will need a ladder to harvest. It'll be like apple picking.

This IS ambitious. I'll look forward to seeing the results. 

I have a question though. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to control and care for 10 plants than one that size, producing what the ten would likely produce?

Back