• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting 2nd Attempt: Fermented Naga Varieties and Mango

Hey guys, my powdered jalapeno hot sauce fermentation experiment did not go very well.

I ended up cooking and reducing it into a salty sauce that is fit only for use as an additive to a marinade maybe.

I decided to get some of the peppers that SmileyGuy697 sent me to make a new sauce.

I stuck mainly to the naga strains including naga bengal, naga viper, naga morich, and burmese naga. I also added some inca red drops and a small primo. 

To give it some character, I added an entire under-ripe mango and got the salt and lactobacillus with an airlock on top

Here is what it looks like currently:

anxQZAh.jpg

Wish me luck! I will update with hopefully good news! 

Thanks for the help guys!

now were talking, nice job. No worries with the other sauce, all part of the learning process. May want to put that jar on a saucer or in a bowl, it is a little full so may have an overflow once the ferment gets going. Not a big deal just let it keep going.

I flicked it a few times when I got up this morning and a few bubbles floated to the top. I believe that is a good sign.

I will place it in a bowl just incase an overflow does happen!

Thanks!

I will hopefully have some more progress to show in a couple days!

If your just after finishing the ferment then let it go for at least a week or a so. Yes bubbles will stop when ferment is done. If you have added enough fermentable sugars (which u have on this one) then your ph should register below 4.0. However, after the ferment is finished, the mash will start to age and the flavors will mingle so u will end up with a better tasting sauce. With this one if your wanting to move fast and accomplish both. I would go at least 1 month minimum. Good looking sauce tho!

Have fun!

A watched pot never boils. Im sure your fine, just need to forget about it for a month. Its normal, fermentation will slow with each passing day until all sugars are consumed. All normal, give it a little jiggle you'll get some gas through the airlock and see that the mash is still active.

Update!

I checked my fermentation this morning and the airlock was floating, but not too many bubbles visible on the outside. 

Later in the day I checked it to see a ton of the vegetable matter had floated to the top (something I was waiting for).

Here is a picture! (notice the separation about 1/3 of the way up)

HwwMyjd.jpg

looks tasty!

one thing with those white lids is that they can leak a little bit, so the airlock is not always a good indication of fermentation. i'm sure all's good!

Back