• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce 2ndary effects of hot sauce or peppers?

I guess this isn't the most appealing topic but I am wondering how many find they are adjusting in more than tolerance to the initial burn..

My first intro past Tabasco, frank's, and similar mild sauces was Marie Sharps hot and Firey hot sauces... while I quickly adjusted to the mouth burn.. the other side.. well it did not adjust... the stomach did not really like it and well the exit had a rather high burn factor as well..

But since then I've progressed to finding her Comatose Heat level Beware to be pretty mild and I did have a lot of trips the the crapper and a high exit burn.... now, while the Raw Habaneros burn going in.. they don't have the same digestive effects, nor the exit effects..

Granted.. I am glad I don't have the secondary side effects anymore.... but I am wondering how many others have noted the same thing...

I often see people saying it will burn as bad or worse the next day when taking about chillies...

It is so weird.. when I visited Belize I had Marie Sharps in the more mild varieties day in and day out on EVERYTHING but nothing past the mid heat level.. now I go to her Hottest and don't feel the same burn going in.. and nothing going out... previously after a couple days my insides did not care for what I had been eating...

Do you think her Exports are toned down from the in-country stuff????????

As far as some other hot things go.. I do still feel it in the stomach until I eat something... but I am guessing what I am eating before or after the habaneros or hot hot sauces seem to be negating the other effects...

Is this something you all have experienced or am I an anomaly??? the only bad effect I've had recently other than a bit of a good mouth burn is the stomach churning effect of the crap extract in Dave's Insanity sauce.. and even now I have become immune to it as long as I eat somewhere within an hour or two before having it... no exit burn and no running to the can every 5 minutes as I once experienced...

I love the taste of Habaneros and Scotch bonnets and I would pop them like candy if I could.. but they do still present a bit of discomfort if I have more than a couple at a time.

Perhaps it is time for me to move on to the hotter sauces... but that said.. I think I will avoid the extract crap and go all natural for a while.. the natural peppers and sauces seem to have a nicer effect in all ways.. not sure about the Jelokias perhaps I'll try them in a few months...

The weird part is I still found my habs at home pretty hot... not like before but still hot.. but this past weekend I had some JapapeƱos at my sister's place and they still did pack a bit of a punch.. perhaps not as before, nor as hot as the Habaneros but they were close...

Am I just becoming quickly tolerant to Habanero compounds that the JalapeƱos don't have or am I just getting weak Hab sauces and peppers?

It is like any drug. You need more as you build tolerance. Now you just need a bigger line....errr hotter pepper. lol. It happens to a lot of us. I am surprised I don't have a callus around the exit. lol

Welcome to the pepper life.

I'm lucky, I've never really experienced this "exit burn" people speak of, but occasionally I do get what I call "ghost finger" (not quite a burn but feels kinda like a violation or something.... kinda like a ghost has just come along and stuck it's finger up my.... :shocked:.... yeah, you get the picture).

As for extracts, I won't touch them! They wreak havoc on my insides and I refuse to go through the pain of feeling like I have just blown a hole in my stomach ever again. No matter how tolerant I have become to heat, something about them still stuffs me up. That aside, I really don't have any need for them either.... sure it is fun to munch down on a superhot from time to time but when it comes to food, heat is fantastic but not to the point where I can't enjoy it (due to both the taste of extracts and their ridiculous heat). If I am in the mood for something extra extra extra hot, I just reach for my bottle of Skobiyan or some Scorp or Naga powder or something....

welcome to the life of a chilehead, now the only thing you havent experienced yet is when it burns when you pee :lol:
like has been said, you build up a tolerence to chiles.

Yeah I've experienced the exit in the past before I had much of a tolerance(still don't compared to most here but getting there).. never when I take a leak though... yikes...

I rarely get heartburn... and not with natural sauces... but even with the weaker Daves Insanity Sauce my stomach never likes it and I get a bit more exit burn... the natural stuff isn't really doing that though...

I guess with time the body can pretty much get used to almost anything

Yeah other than the mouth burn... most have been not too bad... the only negative other than the pain before I build tolerance is with the extract sauces... I now won't touch those things again... the horrible taste and painful indigestion/acid reflux kind of effect I get from it is not worth it... the peppers burn more before I get used to them... but I never get much exit burn.. (just mild warming) and I never get indigestion or the acid reflux kind of feeling from them...

I thought extracts were just made from the natural peppers... but perhaps some use a synthesized chemical to do the same thing... the same goes with beer to me... I don't care if it has more alcohol.. if it tastes like a$$ then I am not going to eat/drink it...

I think there is a difference between what Daves Insanity uses and what others use... I've had some sauces say they add capsicum oil and while they are hot... they had no ill effect or taste.. yet Daves Insanity is the absolute worst tasting hot sauce I've ever had... and while still hot.. it is not as bad as munching on raw Habaneros for the mouth burn... but that horrible taste put me off ever trying anything that guy ever makes again... nasty! Honestly I think Battery acid and week old coffee grounds probably has a better taste than Dave's Insanity sauce...

I'm tempted now to try some of the Hippy Seed Company sauces... as they seem to be anti extract... but damn hot... and probably way hotter than I'll ever need... but they also sound real good tasting and I don't think anyone has said they weren't tasty yet.... I wonder if Neil has to wear Depends undergarments... that dude goes through insane amounts of peppers and sauces by the giant spoonful... again I guess it comes back to build up of tolerance... but I get a bit of a sweat going just thinking of some of the things he eats without flinching... ouch!

each variety of pepper has a different burn. it also affects each person differently.

Rear exit visa burn is one thing but the front is scary as you think it's from something/someone else. Also not big on when it feels like an alien is growing on the south side of the stomach.

Zokambaa,

I think it is indeed the chemicals used in extraction that causes the adverse reactions on your insides and gives them their vile taste. I have heard that Def Con extract sauces are different and don't have the same chemically taste but after my experiences with other extract sauces, I am not willing to try at this point.

Definitely get your hands on THSC's Skobiyan sauce if you want something both massively hot and that tastes good. Yellow 7 Turkey Slap and NagaSav are also fantastic but personally I like the Skobiyan just that bit more....

It's because we don't use any chemicals in the extraction. The stomach cramps, as far as i'm concerned, come from the traces of chemicals used in most extractions.
No chemicals you say?

:think:

Perhaps the time has come for me to reconsider my stance! I also believe the cramps to come from the chemicals involved and had I done my homework I would've learned that you didn't use chemicals in your extraction process. :oops:

My mouth can definitely tolerate more heat than my insides can. Dave's and other "extracty" sauces like that tear up my insides until you can get it all out, one way or another. Raw peppers, natural sauces, thai restaurants, etc. don't really bother my stomach much, if at all anymore. If they do, it's usually fairly mild. Extracts though, seem to always bother me.

Also, you might want to stay away from all the crazy hot wings challenges, unless you really want to pay the price with your insides for a day (few days?). Pretty much all those are with extract sauces. Around here's we've got: Quaker Steak & Lube Atomics (now triple atomics) & Caliente Stupid Wings (Man vs Food did). Atomics I did & could handle the heat eating them, but they really tore up my insides & caused end burn for two days. Caliente I'm scared of. :-)

That Man VS Food guy is insane... not even just for the heat.. but the volume of saturated fat that guy sucks back in one sitting... and he does it multi times a month... the heat is kinda crazy too on a couple of the changes he did... that one with the hot wings where they poured the extra cooked sauce in a tub and kept reusing it time and time again.... I would think that would be one hell of a health code violation.. even if it is re-cooked

Perhaps recooking and all the extract in it kills any bacteria... but still....that thing looked NASTY!!

My mouth can definitely tolerate more heat than my insides can. Dave's and other "extracty" sauces like that tear up my insides until you can get it all out, one way or another. Raw peppers, natural sauces, thai restaurants, etc. don't really bother my stomach much, if at all anymore. If they do, it's usually fairly mild. Extracts though, seem to always bother me.

Also, you might want to stay away from all the crazy hot wings challenges, unless you really want to pay the price with your insides for a day (few days?). Pretty much all those are with extract sauces. Around here's we've got: Quaker Steak & Lube Atomics (now triple atomics) & Caliente Stupid Wings (Man vs Food did). Atomics I did & could handle the heat eating them, but they really tore up my insides & caused end burn for two days. Caliente I'm scared of. :-)

mmmmmmm, burning when I pee.....Yeah, its kinda weird when it feels like you have a VD, and when you look in the toilet, your urine looks like a gel. Happened to me after eating a WICKED extract sauce. NOT FUN!!!
As far as Skobiyan goes...well, Im a HUGE fan. Its a great blend of LOTS of heat, and GREAT flavor!
Like its been said, different sauces cause different effects for different people. I personally LOVE the QS&L Triple Atomic wings. Nice and sweet flavor. The best restaurant sauce I have had yet. Not much of a gut-wrencher for ME, either.

I'm finding that the exit wounds are decidely less than when I first started eating the hot stuff.

Must be building an immunity on the flank-side as well.;)

dvg

Never had the burning stream except when I was young and that was from chemicals coming out after a hard, hard party weekend(who knew the sun could rise and set 3 times in one day) not from sauce. I assume though that the burning stream after extracts are the chemicals coming out.

Back