• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2'x6' Grow Closet With 8 Tube 432 Watt Quantum BadBoy T5 Fluorescent Light - An Ongoing Log

I live in Las Vegas, and for a long time i've been wanting to try growing some full size vegetables in my house over the winter. I do have a garden in my back yard with four 4'x8' raised beds, but it can get down to 20 degrees here (with snow) in December and January. So during the cold season, growing Summer veggies like peppers, tomatoes, and basil indoors during the winter is the only option for me.

Since I had limited space in my house, I figured i'd pull out the wire shelving in one of my 2'x6' closets and hang an 8 tube fluorescent light in there (Quantum BadBoy T5). I screwed two hooks into the ceiling and hung it using two ropes with ratchets at the bottom so I can easily move the light up and down as needed. This closet was too small to use a light that generates high heat like an HID. There would also be no way to vent that type of heat properly without cutting holes in my wall or ceiling, so an HID was not an option. Since the closet was already painted white inside, I decided not to go through the hassle of trying to hang mylar.

WQMX2.jpg

I'll be growing primarily tomatoes and peppers using soil. The tomatoes will be grown in these 5 gallon buckets. I'll drill holes at the bottom of the top bucket, then insert it into another bucket so it's able to drain. For peppers, i'll put them in smaller containers, maybe 2-3 gallon. They'll sit all around the tomato buckets along with some basil.

RNtaq.jpg

As for the tubes in the fixture, there are four cool 6400k tubes, and four warm 2900k tubes. This should provide a good balace of foliage and flowers. I thought about using all 6400k at first, then switching to all 2900k for flowering.. but we'll see how this goes first.

According to the Quantum Horticulture site (they make the bulbs i'm using), here are the stats for the bulbs:

Bloom Bulb - 93.5 Lumen / per Watt for 2900 Kelvin
Grow Bulb - 88.Lumen / per Watt 6500 Kelvin
High Lumen Maintenance: 90% over 10,000 hours

The bulbs are 54 watts each, so that gives me 20196 Lumens from the Bloom bulbs, and 19008 Lumens from the Grow bulbs, which is a total of 39204 lumens for the entire fixture. The closet is 2'x6' and the fixture is 2'x4'. That gives me a total of:

-4900.5 lumens per square foot directly under the 2'x4' light

or

-3267 lumens per square foot across the entire 2'x6' closet.

eijqI.jpg

For the growing method on the tomatoes, i'll be setting up a "scrog" which means "screen of green". I'll put a grid with 4.5" squares across the entire closet, about 2ft up from the edge of the buckets. Once the tomatoes start hitting the grid, i'll train the branches outward along the bottom of the grid for maximum light exposure.

l5Hhu.jpg

So that's about it. I'll post my log here and we'll see what I can grow with 432 watts of fluorescent tubes :)

Week 5 Update:

I got my humidifier and set it up last night. I also removed the closet doors for better circulation. It's made a really big difference and i'm happy with it. Temperatures are lower, everything is already looking more perky. My humidity now fluctuating between 40-50% which is really nice.

Before the humidifier, my humidity was staying around 20% which was pretty bad. It was causing the lower leaves on a couple plants to look rugged and leathery, and i think that was also contributing to low potassium. (purple veins, etc). I think a lot of people may not realize how badly low humidity can effect their plants. It can cause the leaves to die, nutrient lockous, stunted growth, and all sorts of bad things. I'm glad I got this figured out early.
1Gptw.jpg

EE15F.jpg

I just went into my grow room (2:30 AM) and it felt like a rainforest in there :) Humidity at 60%, and a nice cool breeze from my oscillating fan. I bet the plants are loving it now. I won't let humidity get any higher than that to stay safe from mold, etc.. but it sure feels nice. It makes me realize how dry the rest of my house feels.

Week 7 Update:

Oops, I missed my week 6 update, but here's an update for week 7. Everything has gotten much larger and lots of tomatoes are already setting. The gardener's delight tomatoes look particularly cool with the nice sets of tomatoes. The peppers are a bit slower, but they're still moving along ok. I did have some issues with the fox farm Ocean Forest soil. It just seems to be too hot of a soil. A few of my peppers got some pretty bad nutrient burn before I even added any fertilizer. I think they got somewhat stunted, and are now recovering. I'll show you an example of this in the photos. I've been snipping off the buds on the peppers to allow them to spend more time recovering and veging a bit more. Next time I think i'll just use the normal Fox Farm Happy Frog soil instead of the Ocean Forest. That way i'll still have a great soil but without the added fertilizer and i'll have more control over it.

Here are the photos. The light has been raised to make it easier to take the pics.

F5Q5M.jpg

Bell Peppers:
nMgsn.jpg

Red Robin Tomato:
bl3tN.jpg

Gardener's Delight Tomato:
G0DNw.jpg

Here's an example of the weird stuff that's going on. These two plants are both bell peppers from the same exact seed packet. They are both in the same exact soil, and have been watered at the same times. The one on the right has leaves that look like crap, but it actually has a lot more growth than the nice looking one, so we will see what happens with it I guess. It has lots of new flower buds hidden under the leaves, so i'll let them go without snipping them now.

dCXdO.jpg

Ahhhh chock it up to one being a prissy princess and the other a ditch digger! I'll bet mr rough n tough gives you more pods too. Good looking setup there :dance:

Ahhhh chock it up to one being a prissy princess and the other a ditch digger! I'll bet mr rough n tough gives you more pods too. Good looking setup there :dance:

I sure hope it does. It seems to be growing very thickly despite the damaged leaves. I'l starting to wonder if some sort of deficiency would cause that problem with the leaves instead of nutrient burn from the soil. That would still be weird though since everything was grown under the same conditions.

I read that calcium deficiency could cause torn up leaf edges, bumps, craters, etc.. so i figured i'd try doing a foliar spray using the CaMg bottle in my General Organics line. It seems to have actually helped somewhat. The plant grew more vertical in the last couple days, and the top leaves smoothed out. Compare this pic with the pic i posted a couple posts above this one, and it's already looking a bit better.

mOiYH.jpg

Week 8 Update:

Im getting quite a few tomatoes setting now. All the peppers are still falling behind somewhat. The first bell pepper flower finally set in the last couple days, and it looks like a purple one. I still feel like some plants got stunted because of the earlier problems, but I think things are recovering, especially now that I have RO water. I've been able to do a higher PPM nutrient mix, and i've been making sure to add no less than 5ml cal/mag per gallon. Oh and that mutant bell pepper plant is doing better and growing a bit more vertical now, and it has tons of flowers on it :) I can't wait to see how many pods I get off of it.

P8P7u.jpg

New Big Dwarf Tomato:
BsTcH.jpg

Window Box Roma Tomato:
23kev.jpg

Red Robin Tomato: (wow there's at least 20 tomatoes on this plant already)
N1EVp.jpg

Carnival Bell Peppers:
Uxsfm.jpg

First Bell Pepper showing:
LRCU7.jpg

Week 10 (almost)

More tomatoes and peppers are setting and growing larger. Not without continuous environmental challenges though. It's been getting much warmer lately, and i'm no longer able to blow cool air in through the window. I didn't realize just how much heat this T5 unit would build up with that window show as it gets closer to summer. Once i shut the window, it didn't take long at all for the temperature in the room to hit nearly 100 degrees. Keep in mind i've been running the light cycle at night too, with the lights off during the day. I've turned on my central AC in the last couple days which helps. While the rest of my house stays at 74F, this closet is still creeping up into the high 80s. OH and remember that humidifier I bought? well it's now having trouble keeping the humidity at 23-25%. A lot of times it still goes as low as 20%

I think the most important thing to learn from this is that you should not believe people who say T5s don't create heat. How much it will really effect you depends on where you live. The heat they make is dispersed over a wider area than an HID bulb so there's no hot spots like you sometimes get with an HID, but if you have an HID bulb that's inside an air cooled reflector, it's MUCH easier to keep cool because you can easily direct the heat out of the room via a fan and a duct. With this T5 fixture, all the heat basically just radiates everywhere and i can't do much about it. I do have several oscillating fans, but that's about it. Soon I plan on having a 24k BTU split AC unit installed in this room since the central air in my house has always favored the downstairs area anyway. It should help increase the efficiency of my air conditioning during the summer.

Even with all of the above challenges though, i'm getting some results. Here are some pics:

I raised the light for a better view. I've organized all the plants from tallest to shortest so i could angle the light for best exposure. You can also see i had to trim that jalapeno pepper plant in the front/middle because its lower branches and leaves were suffering from the issues I discussed. it's doing a bit better now
k0acM.jpg

New Big Dwarf Tomatoes
ZvRLE.jpg

Gardener's Delight Cherry Tomatoes
ASN95.jpg

Window Box Roma - This plant has suffered the most, with lots of crispy leaves. I've been cleaning up the dead leaves as they come. It's interesting that even though all its leaves are falling off, it's setting a good amount of romas, so I guess i'll keep letting it go and see what happens. The weird thing is that I have two more seedlings of this variety sitting in another part of my house where it's much cooler with better humidity, and even those little seedlings are already starting to develop crispy leaves. Maybe this variety just doesnt like the overall environment in my area?
aBGVi.jpg

Cayenne Peppers. You can see the plastic loops i've been using on this plant to try and spread out the top a bit. It grew tall and skinny so I wanted to give it a better canopy that was more spread out.
21DN0.jpg

Green Bell peppers growing on the mutant pepper plant. It's already set a couple peppers and it looks like it has a nice group of other flowers that will soon set (hopefully)
XrrFi.jpg

This is my nicer looking purple bell pepper plant. That purple bell pepper you see is the "first bell pepper" that you saw in my previous update. You can't really see in this pic, but there are two more peppers which have already set that are closer to the top as well.
b3OPy.jpg

Red Robin Tomatoes - Lots of little cherry tomatoes on this one. Some of them are starting to turn red already too.
5rb58.jpg

Week 11.5
I'm seeing lots of tomatoes ripening up this week. I've already plucked a few of them to give them a taste, and theyre really sweet and juicy. I still haven't had the additional AC installed because i'm waiting on approval from my HOA.

All Plants:
6aRsS.jpg

Habaneros: - No peppers set on this plant yet.
4THmv.jpg

Thai Peppers: Look closely, a bunch of flowers are starting to set and peppers are emerging.
4Gep4.jpg

New Big Dwarf Tomatoes:
h2KC7.jpg

Green Bell Peppers:
mqed2.jpg

Purple Bell Peppers:
msFpQ.jpg

Gardener's Delight Tomatoes:
4vI0L.jpg

Cayenne Peppers:
QkL4y.jpg

Red Robin Tomatoes:
4xkER.jpg

I really don't know how I missed this thread. How are things going, still, or is this grow over with. They were starting to look really good in there.

Oops, I forgot to post the last update here. Sorry about that. I've been updating in multiple places.

So after the last update I made, it just started getting WAY too hot to continue running that 8 tube T5 HO light. It was getting warmer outside and that light was literally causing my entire upstairs area to go into the high 80s to low 90s even with the central AC on. These 8 tube T5 HO lights generate a lot more heat than you'd expect. I suppose it would be ok to do this in a very cold climate, but for a place like Las Vegas, it's really not a good idea to use a light like this that can't be properly air cooled.

I think if i tried to do this again, i'd need to use an LED light, or a sealed, air cooled reflector with a 400-600w HPS light. That way I could vent the hot air out the window or into the attic.

Once I realized it would be way too hot to continue doing this test, I moved all the buckets outside to let them continue growing.

One more thing I forgot to mention, is that very soon i'll be starting another grow test using:

HydroFarm Emily's Garden:
2x Cayenne peppers
1x Habanero Pepper
Hydroponix brand nutrients
Penetrator 126X LED light prototype from HydroGrowLED

The layout in the Emily's Garden is:

(2ft long, 15" wide)
X X X
X X X

So my plan was to put two cayenne peppers on the top row (one in each corner), and one habanero in the center of the bottom row.

My seeds are have just been germinating in their rock wool cubes over the past couple days, they'll be going into the emily's garden soon. I'll make a new thread for that one once everything is ready to go.

Awesome closet I have a very similar setup with 2 shelves and 2 4 light fixtures I really enjoy experimenting with. I need to get some small tomato plants like those, mine took over the whole tent so I just do peppers now. Thanks for sharing and If you have any outdoor pics that would be sweet.

Wow looks good so far. I think I would have pruned all those early flowers and focused on getting the plant much bigger first. I ran my setup during the winter when it was cold which helps keep the house warm and the temps down in the closet. I couldn't imagine growing them in the summer when it's already hot especially in Vegas!

Awesome closet I have a very similar setup with 2 shelves and 2 4 light fixtures I really enjoy experimenting with. I need to get some small tomato plants like those, mine took over the whole tent so I just do peppers now. Thanks for sharing and If you have any outdoor pics that would be sweet.

I actually have another thread going with pics from my outdoor garden. I just updated it with some of my most recent pics. Here's a link to it:
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/22143-my-organic-back-yard-raised-bed-garden-in-las-vegas-four-4x8-raised-beds/

Wow looks good so far. I think I would have pruned all those early flowers and focused on getting the plant much bigger first. I ran my setup during the winter when it was cold which helps keep the house warm and the temps down in the closet. I couldn't imagine growing them in the summer when it's already hot especially in Vegas!

Thanks. Since i had planned on growing these peppers to full size indoors, i didn't want them to get too tall. I wanted to keep them around 2-3ft and more bushy. Anything more than that would be pretty inefficient with a T5 light.

Just yesterday it was 108 degrees outside, so i'm sure if i tried to run this light now it would bring my stairs area to at least 100 degrees hah.

I actually have another thread going with pics from my outdoor garden. I just updated it with some of my most recent pics. Here's a link to it:
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/22143-my-organic-back-yard-raised-bed-garden-in-las-vegas-four-4x8-raised-beds/

Thanks. Since i had planned on growing these peppers to full size indoors, i didn't want them to get too tall. I wanted to keep them around 2-3ft and more bushy. Anything more than that would be pretty inefficient with a T5 light.

Just yesterday it was 108 degrees outside, so i'm sure if i tried to run this light now it would bring my stairs area to at least 100 degrees hah.
With my tent the building it is in is climate controlled at 72 and I have an exhaust fan sucking hot air out...check out my blog in sig, and I have a thread around here somewhere. Our plants look a lot alike . I will update it this weekend as I am moving things outside as they get to big for tent.

I prune all my plants to grow wide and not tall regardless if they are inside or out. I think it has to do more with the way your groom the plant then anything else. My 2 overwintered TS where started indoors 2 years ago and are only 2' tall, but are 5' wide. I just added a couple of pics and you'll see what I mean.

I prune all my plants to grow wide and not tall regardless if they are inside or out. I think it has to do more with the way your groom the plant then anything else. My 2 overwintered TS where started indoors 2 years ago and are only 2' tall, but are 5' wide. I just added a couple of pics and you'll see what I mean.

Where did you add the pics?

Back