• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

3/5King's 2013 ZING!-Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 "If The Boat's a Rockin'....."

we're still Alive!.....now let's get back to growing peppers.

So I decided to start Peppin' Ain't Easy 2.0 instead of continuing last year’s Glog. This way everything can stay nice and tidy.

If you want to see my shenanigans from last season, CLICK http://thehotpepper....sy35kings-2012/

I’m excited…the season is upon us! (Well except for those that live on the other side of the hemisphere; you bastards have been growing for months!)(Mezo…lol)

Let’s see, where to start….well, I hope everyone’s year is starting out right. I know everyone’s year can’t be going well, so a prayer will go out to all of you that are having a not so good 2013. Me…I’m alive and still ambitious, so I’ll be alright.

On to the plants; well, I started some plants back in November…here I was being hopeful to the extreme..thinking I would have some nice plants to give away around Christmas or the new year….that was my first mistake circa 2013..

I did something wrong (like usual) listed below will be the list of seeds I started and what my setup consists of....(Like it says above…peppin’ ain’t easy)

Seeds 2013 (started Nov. 17, 2012)

Carolina Reaper
Bubble Gum 7pot
Explosive Ember
FireCracker
Red Missle
Purple Puru
Orange Starbust
Cappezoli
Brazilian Starfish

More coming…

Soil

Pro-Mix Organic with sea based compost

Nutrients

General Organics-Bio Thrive (gave first feeding at around 60 days old)

Grow Box/Light Setup

5- 6500 Kelvin 2750 Lumen 1- 2700 Kelvin 2750 Lumen (CFL’s) (Total: 16,500 Lumens)

5- Square foot growing area

Sides and roof lined with mylar bubble wrap (Like the stuff you line your basements with for insulation)

Plants are 4-10 Inches away from lights (depending on how big they are)

Bottom Watered

Foliar fed with bio thrive (every two to three days)

Side Note: (I did water the plants at about 30 days with the used water from my fish tank. I used this water for about 2 weeks and then went back to regular water for awhile)

Temps- 80-90 Degrees

So there you have it, this is the start to my 2012/13 season. Now to get on to the hiccups along the way…dang I forgot to mention the overwinter…I’ll get to that debacle in a minute.

Problems encountered; The plants started growing fine but as they got older, they just randomly dropping leaves (although it seems that the leaves that drop are the older leaves) Not from the bottom up or the top down, just random. Sometimes they drop when they are green, sometimes they drop after they have yellowed and some…some even just shrivel up and die on the plant..lol. This is a funky situation.

Also a lot of the plants seem to be stuck…like the plants look like they are getting older (stems getting thicker, mature leaves) but they aren’t really growing in size anymore. Now I can say that they A. Should have enough light at 3300 lumens a square foot B. Maybe they are too close or not close enough to the light.

My thoughts about the leaf drop: Possible that they are A. Getting too little of light (which shouldn’t be the case) B. They are getting burnt by hot spots from the bubble mylar or C. I have no idea…

Well, if you have any input or ideas as to why my situation is bucked up, please feel free to inform me.

Now for my overwinter; I brought in one Moruga for the winter. When I brought it in, it was thriving. New growth was popping up left and right. It was growing fast, so I asked Pepperguru what I should do. He told me I could just clip it like a bonsai tree. Well…the plant had shot a lot of branched out of the main trunk, before the split. So I cut most of those branches that had shot out, off and left all of the foliage above the first main split. After I did that, the plant didn’t do so well anymore. There really wasn’t anymore new growth and what was there although did get bigger, started to die and drop leaves. As well, the branches started to die from the top down. So I cut them back….everything started dying back more…so I cut it back more. Then one of my last (new) green branches had a dead leaf on it, so I went to pull it off and with barely any pressure, the whole branch pulled right off the plant! Hahahaha…I laughed so hard and then immediately used some cutting gel and stuck it in some soil. The pics you see below are what’s left…..ah haha, It makes me laugh so hard.

So there you have it. I know this was/is a lot to read but I wanted to be thorough lol. This way everyone’s questions are answered before they are asked and you all get an idea of where I’m at and what it took to get here.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN 2013!! Now for the pics..

SOME LEAVES THAT DROPPED
IMG_6587.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6586.jpg

CAROLINA REAPER
IMG_6584.jpg

EXPLOSIVE EMBER
IMG_6582.jpg

ORANGE STARBURST
IMG_6578.jpg

BUBBLEGUM 7
IMG_6575.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6573.jpg

INDOOR GROW
IMG_6572.jpg

MORUGA OVERWINTER
IMG_6571.jpg

MORUGA CUTTING
IMG_6570.jpg

Trippa said:
Great Burger !!  And the lake looked pristine !!  Nice updates bro!

Thanks Trippa!

UPDATE:

Alright, now back to the garden....(I know, I've been slacking) This update will be on my personal home garden. Things are starting to pick up a little, I've got poddage.....glorious poddage. Ok well, it's not that GLORIOUS yet...but seeing signs of life is a great feeling, especially on some of the plants that I really wanted to see pod up.

So, I had my first ripe pod. It was off of the McStunty plant that looks like a head of cauliflower but decided to shoot out some peps! hahahaha, it tasted like a pickled pepperochinni (spelling?) Pretty good tasting, I think it will go well on a hot dog for sure.

My second ripe pepper that I'm about to taste as we speak is off of what I believe is a Capezzoli plant. Don't know much about it other than it's supposedly nicknamed "Monkey Nipples"......mmmmmmm sounds delicious...and the verdict is..very seedy (loaded) but it tastes pretty damn good. Almost exactly like a jalapeno, flavor and heat level wise. I liked it.

Let's get right to the pics. 

This is a Capezzoli pod

This is McStunty....aka "Pickled Pepperochinni"

The infamous Carolina Reaper

Brazilian Starfish "Heirloom Baccatum"

Not sure what this is but I think it is deficient on Mag. or Cal. I already checked it for mites

BUMP PLEASE

Thanks Homefry,

I believe this is one of Cmpman1974's Not Black Naga Mean Red Cross.....cannot WAIT for these pods to ripen up!

BubbleGum7pot is starting to beast out and throw some pods.

Here's an overview of the pepper side of the garden.

My container Maui Purple and Explosive Ember's just loaded with pods....too bad the EE are an ornamental because they put out hundreds of pods.

Time to go to my buddies and see if I can get some pics....oh wait, I did go over there and get some pics lol but everyday is a new day, better go take some more!

Thanks for hangin' around errybuddy!

Thanks much Joyners! Everything is chugging along. Wonder if I should try one of those Explosive Embers just to see how nasty they taste.....hmmmm...maybe they are delicious.....lol

I just went back and checked out last year's glog......I shouldn't have done that. Wow, looks like the gardens are a month behind each other. Oh well, there were a lot of things that came into play on that. Wicked to see the difference though.

3/5King said:
Thanks much Joyners! Everything is chugging along. Wonder if I should try one of those Explosive Embers just to see how nasty they taste.....hmmmm...maybe they are delicious.....lol

I just went back and checked out last year's glog......I shouldn't have done that. Wow, looks like the gardens are a month behind each other. Oh well, there were a lot of things that came into play on that. Wicked to see the difference though.
Yeah I did the same but mine is 1 month ahead due to all the rain and heat here. I have only watered twice all season!

Perfect lakeside campsite. √
Outrageous burger. √
Great poddage. √

Yup.  Everything's here!

Very nice looking pods! I've always loved the look of the brazilian starfish. The explosive ember and maui purple looks exactly like a plant I grew last season but could not identify. It was sold to me as jalapeno of all things--lesson learned about the importance of picking seed sellers carefully. Hope the reaper works out for you!

thats the pepper in the ornamental I said I liked. Looks like its booming
Dot Com said:
I like the Ornamental pot w/ the hummingbird :P
3/5King said:
My container Maui Purple and Explosive Ember's just loaded with pods....too bad the EE are an ornamental because they put out hundreds of pods.

3/5King said:
Here's my ornamental tote with two explosive embers and one....umm lol dang it I don't remember now. Maybe a Maui Purple.

10E69D2A-F5EC-4EE6-AE24-3035EF66DE49-5077-000006BCA88666F8.jpg

PaulG said:
Perfect lakeside campsite. √
Outrageous burger. √
Great poddage. √

Yup.  Everything's here!
YEP! Everything was pretty sweet. Can't wait to do it again.......oh how the rich must love life.

Dot Com said:
thats the pepper in the ornamental I said I liked. Looks like its booming

Yes sir! It's overloaded with pods. Time to eat one.....I'll report back later.

Another UPDATE:

Well, I didn't make it over to my buddy's to take pics today  so I'll just use the ones from Friday.....lol 

It's a jungle over there. Talk about out of control.....I need to find the time and a machete to make my way over there and get things handled.

PEPPER WEEVIL? I don't know but there was an oval hole in the pepper and this thing came crawling out of it....bastard. I think I forgot to kill him too.....tisk tisk

Deep into the jungle 

The Pumpkin is a masochist! (Broken limb is self inflicted) (Plus picture of mini pump...lol)

PEPPER SIDE OF LIFE

Not sure what these are (Maybe Scarlet Lantern Habanero??) but they're packing in.

2nd year BrainStrain 7 Holla!

Needs me a bump

That garden is off the chain crazy.
King, your troubled plant from the first update looks like a mite infection. I would cut the top infected areas off and also remove any leaves with bronzing on the undersides. Then look into some treatment before they spread. Sorry to bring bad news. :(
Seem like mites are going off this year, which sucks. Way more infection popping up.

Things are moving at the 3/5 joint! BAM...your jungle shot is killer! Pods everywhere too! Keep the pics flowing brother! Your humble aphid infested beginning is turning into one BA season! So stoked for you brother!

By the way...the EEs are a little tough, but ain't horrible tasting. I have flaked them out before and it ain't disappointing. 

homefry319 said:
bump again  :dance:
Thanks again Homefey319 and welcome to THP BRUDDA!
stc3248 said:
Things are moving at the 3/5 joint! BAM...your jungle shot is killer! Pods everywhere too! Keep the pics flowing brother! Your humble aphid infested beginning is turning into one BA season! So stoked for you brother!

By the way...the EEs are a little tough, but ain't horrible tasting. I have flaked them out before and it ain't disappointing. 
Yes'sir! I am actually pretty stoked that we actually squashed that freakin' aphid problem...thought it might plague us the whole year. Thanks Shane, I can't wait until some more of the pods ripen! We need to address the pumpkin sitch' though....it's becoming as bad as a virus...it killed our ancient sweet plants by blocking the sun! Hahahahaha..now that's just nutz! I am definitely going to try some of those EE's. I tried a Maui Purple tonight and they were pretty good! Hope all is well with you and your fam.

I know, I asked for a bump and got distracted...what an a'hole...

Some type of moth...pretty cool looking.

IMG_7071.jpg

IMG_7070.jpg

2nd Year Chocolate Scorpions bouya!

IMG_7068.jpg

IMG_7055.jpg

Briggy! He is about 5ft tall and loading up! I'll bust out a ruler next time.

IMG_7065.jpg

Non-shot

IMG_7076.jpg

Mini harvest....wha wha whaaaaaa. The long peppers are really cool, they grow purple and lime green verigated and then the purple changes to red and the lime green changes to yellow. They're sweet with very faint heat. The other two are Jalabaneros....which taste amazing!!! I like em' I love em' I want some more of em' (alright that will be my one and only country reference....NOT)

IMG_7079.jpg

Nice shots ... that choc scorpion looks like it is going to be a nasty pod!

Explosive Embers are not bad ... not good but not bad.  Pretty hot, but have a bitterness to them that is the bane of most ornamentals unfortunately apart from the purple tiger in my experience.

As Shane said ... not bad dried though (as is the case with many bitter pods it seems)

Great updates King! That second year Choco Scorpion is killing it...as is your Birgits! That moth looks cool...but they always make me wonder what they're up to, and what their little caterpillars look like!

Looking good Dave,the hard work is paying off this year. Your plants might be alittle behind last years,but healthier. The funky plant,what did you feed it? Could be a number of things.

caught your "wink" a little late...will get a box out to you next week. All this weeks peps are either saucing, dehydrating or in the freezer. You looking for massive heat..or just crazy hot? Send me a PM with what you'd like. A little of this and that...or a bunch of this with a tad of that?

Back