• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

#3 nursery pots

Anyone here ever grown in a #3 0r 3 Gallon nursery pot?
I couldnt help but notice that the numbered nursery pots look smaller than 3-5 gallon buckets.
Any ways, just out curiosity. Wondering what one could expect when growing in a smaller than 5gal/#5 container.
It'd be nice to see some pics. Or be directed to some.

Thanks guys,

-Quezada

The number does not refer to volume. #3 pots are roughly 2.3-2.4 gallons, #5 pots are roughly 3.7-3.9 gallons. 

I just bought 500 #3 pots and yes, you can grow in those. I bought them as an intermediate between seedling pots and #20 or in-ground. You limit the size of the plant in smaller pots, as they get root bound faster. That makes it tricky to estimate water and fertilizer needs, although the plants do tell you, to an extent. Don`t have photos right now, but maybe later on in the summer.

OKGrowin said:
Are those #5 nursery size pots? or literal 5 gallon volume pouches?
Nigel said:
The number does not refer to volume. #3 pots are roughly 2.3-2.4 gallons, #5 pots are roughly 3.7-3.9 gallons. 

I just bought 500 #3 pots and yes, you can grow in those. I bought them as an intermediate between seedling pots and #20 or in-ground. You limit the size of the plant in smaller pots, as they get root bound faster. That makes it tricky to estimate water and fertilizer needs, although the plants do tell you, to an extent. Don`t have photos right now, but maybe later on in the summer.
Ok, I'm using solo cups as my intermediate pots right now since I have short growing season. Im in Salinas valley. perfect for lettuce and berry growing cause its almost always overcast. The sunny weather typically lasts from April- late august hence why I'm going for 3gallon pots. Not too much time for vegging out here, last season my plants podded up way too late and frosts started early, these were five gallon smart pots.

7pq - I used to flower some other plants indoors in 3gal containers,  worked out great.  Never had any experience with #3s outdoor though.  

It's my understanding that peppers veg and fruit simultaneously throughout their life.  If that's true, the roots will keep growing and you might want something bigger to pot up into.

Still following your glog, stoked to compare/contrast this season!

unk3390 said:
7pq - I used to flower some other plants indoors in 3gal containers,  worked out great.  Never had any experience with #3s outdoor though.  

It's my understanding that peppers veg and fruit simultaneously throughout their life.  If that's true, the roots will keep growing and you might want something bigger to pot up into.

Still following your glog, stoked to compare/contrast this season!
RIght on man, I have an led flowering light 240w so maybe i'll end up podding indoors if im forced too. But I'm considering getting a 300+watt hps.

And yes the roots are a concern. I'm not gonna use a lot of mychorizae mainly tons of bacteria that breaks organic nutrients down. And thanks man, sorry I havent updated it yet been a hectic few weeks since I'm going to college full time midterms and final research to do...plus getting the greenhouse ready outside lol...been fun though. I just got a couple bhuts and a red savina too man. A nursery around here carries them. lol they're experimenting i suppose.

Back