• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant 3 plants. 3 possibilities. Can you help me?

Hello, and good evening to all,

So with myself being the unorganized fool that I am, I neglected to label 3 of my pepper plants. Three possiblities are, Kung Poa hybrid, Scotch bonnet, and Santa Fe Grande. The dern leaves on so many pepper plants look so alike, so I have no hunches. Anyone wanna take a shot at it?

Plant 1:
DSCN4042.jpg

DSCN4052.jpg

Plant 2:
DSCN4051.jpg

DSCN4043.jpg

DSCN4049.jpg

Plant 3:
This one clearly has some issues. The leaves are wrinkly and do not look like they're doing well. Also leaf miner!
DSCN4044.jpg

DSCN4047.jpg

DSCN4054.jpg

DSCN4055.jpg

At least its a multiple choice question and not a fill in the blank! Any ideas?

PLant 3 looks in need of some help. Looks like a scotch bonnets leaves to me, i'm not an expert. Plant 1 and 2 looks too close to me. But if i had to guess i would say that 2 is the Grande and 1 is the Pao.

Looks like mites look at the bottom of the leaves, a bronze well water coloring is the dead give away for mites, you need at least 30X scope to see em. They hide on the underside next to the midrib or on newly forming shoots for the most part.

I would say the first two are anuums, so agree #3 is likely the scotch bonnet, since it's a chinense. But to me it's really hard to tell one annuum leaf from another, unless you are comparing, say, purples to non-purples.

Thanks guys. The scotch bonnet was really the one I wanted to pinpoint. Wouldnt you know it's the one doing the worse.

The cause most likely is pest of some sort. They have been a huge problem. my lawn consist of sand and weeds. There are millions of ants, grubs, and other things out of horror movies. I need to control this some how.

I really can't tell exactly which is which by the leaves but you seem to have a bad mite infestation.
You want to try and treat that as soon as possible if you want them to recover. Mites are BAD news!

On another pepper plant I have, I have constantly been fighting, whatever these things are on the underside of the leaf. Are they aphids? I have had so many pest problems I don't know which is which. At one point the underside of the leaves were covered in white little bugs, which I was led to beleive those were aphids. Now these black things. I can't win.

What's the best way to control mites, and is there preventive measures I can take to stop an infestation before it begins?? I've been battling these things since day one.

DSCN4079.jpg

For prevention I spray my plants with Neem once or twice a week.
By the looks of some of your plants your probably gonna need to use a stronger pesticide to get rid of them at this point.
When I had a bad infestation I few years ago I keep using malathion untill they started to recover.
I would remove all the damaged areas of the plants as well if possible. Keep in mind they may take a while to recover.
When you have them under control you should start to see new healthy growth start forming.

BTW the white bugs under the leaves are most likely white fly, which are the transporter of the broad mite.

Good Luck
Hope this helps

Brent

I agree with harry, none of the plants have leaf sets of a c.chinense. I see alot of squash or mushroom annuums popping up in apparent "Scotch Bonnet" photos.

Broad mites are more difficult to eradicate than spider mites. Sometimes organic methods fail. You need to find a treatment that will last over a week or so, which means no harvesting. Try a search, this topic makes its way back faster than 3 generations of an aphid...

Hmm interesting about none of them appearing to be c.chinense...

Well, I did only plant one seed of each, so this could have been due to my own error. My next step will be to plant a couple more SB seeds and go from there.

Hmm interesting about none of them appearing to be c.chinense...

Well, I did only plant one seed of each, so this could have been due to my own error. My next step will be to plant a couple more SB seeds and go from there.

I recommend obtaining Scotch Bonnet seeds from another supplier to increase your chances. The photo of the pods of the Scotch Bonnet Hot Pepper on pepperjoe.com resemble the C. Annuum Jamaican Yellow that I ended up with from elsewhere. PepperMania has a Scotch Bonnet - Jamaican for example.

This is disapointing :/

Does anyone have a picture of a young scotch bonnet plant to share?

I haven't had luck finding a photo of plant grown from seed that originated at the same supplier.

There's 4 Scotch Bonnet TFM plants among my late starts in the following photo:
JtKr7.jpg

Late starts:
  • 1st Row: Seven Pot, Scotch Bonnet TFM;
  • 2nd Row: Ebony Fire, Scotch Bonnet TFM, Not Limo Blanco;
  • 3rd Row: Scotch Bonnet TFM, Scotch Bonnet TFM;
  • 4th Row: Morouga Red, Not Fluorescent Purple.
In this shot you can compare the leave shape of the C. Annuum Ebony Fire to that of the C. Chinense Scotch Bonnet TFM. My Scotch Bonnet TFM seeds were courtesy of JungleRain.

IMG_4489.jpg

Here's 4 plants that I intend to winterover. These are Jamaican Scotch Bonnets, I planted the seeds almost 10 weeks ago. They are are c.chinense. The typical growth habit is more lateral and shrublike. Well that's at least the Jamaican's. Trinidads and South African Bonnets can
grow tall,

Greg

+1 in annuum
B4A1684E-A400-47E4-836F-B220B209013D-34352-00000B775B2387A8.jpg

5D3048B6-BC85-4D29-B1F8-F39F9234D903-34352-00000B776EF2A4D6.jpg

Greg mine are a little leggy due to them beig covered from the light for about a week. Yours look so bushy. The one in te middle. Is they the "march" JSB?!

Mine are 6 weeks. (July 15)

On another pepper plant I have, I have constantly been fighting, whatever these things are on the underside of the leaf. Are they aphids? I have had so many pest problems I don't know which is which. At one point the underside of the leaves were covered in white little bugs, which I was led to beleive those were aphids. Now these black things. I can't win.

What's the best way to control mites, and is there preventive measures I can take to stop an infestation before it begins?? I've been battling these things since day one.

DSCN4079.jpg

Its hard to see, but aphids or white, and what it looks liek you have are darker color. I am not sure if you live near a hydro store, but there is a product called Azamax, which is made by general hydroponics. Its not the cheapest stuff in the world (4oz for 26 bucks, and had my bottle for 3 years now), but you mix 5-7ml per gallon onf water and spray. I have used it for all my pest control and it seems to work great. I do get aphids, and they hit me hard, but i spray, than spray 2 weeks later and they are usally cone. They also control alot of different pest.

Here is a link to the website http://generalhydroponics.com/site/index.php/products/maintenance/azamax1/

Here is the insturctions, and on page 3, list what it targets. http://generalhydroponics.com/site/gh/docs/prod_labels/AzaMaxLbl.pdf

Back