• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

3 Year Search - Finally posting here - Please Help!

Ok... I have been searching for this pepper for years.  I have found it in jars, as spreads, on pizzas, but I cannot find anything on the topic of what kind they are!  I've tried to grow them from dried peppers to no avail.  I've tried contacting TuttoCalabria and other Companies whom make the pickles and all they can tell me is that they are "100% Italian and come from Calabria".  

Please help me identify what type of peppers these are and where I can get seeds.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 106
smackasalmon said:
I hope to try an oil pickle with all the different peppers and see which one tastes the most similar.

I have been following this thread and have been trying to decipher this pepper, more on that later.

But after your post above I wanted to jump in and advise about the potential problems with home canning in oil. I have bought and consumed commercial products as above and have made my own chili oil and wanted to share some info. Make sure you use a tested and proven safe recipe as there are many "My family has used this recipe from  the old country for centuries." out there.

The concern is Clostridium botulinum. While rare, think of the family recipe above, the danger is real and deaths are extremely rare in the 100 or so cases reported on average yearly, the symptoms are very distressing (13 Things You Should Know About Botulism), "Symptoms of botulinum poisoning can begin between six hours and two weeks after eating. They include: double vision, blurred vision, slurred speech, difficulty swallowing, dry mouth, and muscle weakness that starts in the upper body, descends down the arms, down the torso, and then down the legs. Breathing muscles can become paralyzed, and death can occur if emergency medical treatment is not given.". Click on this link for an informative, and entertaining, analogy of factoids about this danger.> How Not To Die From Botulism

To close, I'd spend some time looking for recipes that have been posted by organizations that can be trusted like CSU Extension with a nice illustrative version of one of them here.> How to Make Homemade Canned Hot Peppers with Oil

NECM

EDIT: Here's a perfect example of, been doing it for years!> Canning Peppers In Oil

"I live in a small town that has famous peppers canned in oil "Old Italians recipe". They have been doing it for years and everyone in town cans in oil."

`Double EDIT! OMG, I just read through that thread!

You can buy tickets all your life and never win the lottery. That's bad luck. You can preserve peppers in oil for 80 years and never get botulism. That's good luck.
But all that means is so far you came out ahead. It doesn't mean the process is risk-free.

Back