• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

300 gallon aquaponics system

well i took a water test and the PH seems to be a bit high...
I just joined because this thread is kind of just like what I started. I've been mainly into keeping fish and herps, but have been starting to dwell in aquaponics and just put 5 pepper plants from a friend into my turtles sump. I can't really tell what your ph is from the pictures, but most of the time it's not the most important thing in the world.

I'm kind of new to growing peppers, but not new to plumbing fish tanks, maybe we can swap tricks. My setup is a 300 gallon rubbermaid with a 100 gallon rubbermaid as a sump and my peppers in the sump, with a 12" shell snapping turtle making fertilizer. I'm also running a continuous drip system, which I need to throttle down to let the nitrates come up.

Just kind of cool to see someone doing the same sort of thing

I just joined because this thread is kind of just like what I started. I've been mainly into keeping fish and herps, but have been starting to dwell in aquaponics and just put 5 pepper plants from a friend into my turtles sump. I can't really tell what your ph is from the pictures, but most of the time it's not the most important thing in the world.

I'm kind of new to growing peppers, but not new to plumbing fish tanks, maybe we can swap tricks. My setup is a 300 gallon rubbermaid with a 100 gallon rubbermaid as a sump and my peppers in the sump, with a 12" shell snapping turtle making fertilizer. I'm also running a continuous drip system, which I need to throttle down to let the nitrates come up.

Just kind of cool to see someone doing the same sort of thing

yeah for sure man... do you got pics?? just hit me up if you need any kind of help ... i am no pro or anything ...

Here's the full setup, and the old plant that was in the sump
P1010012.jpg

pepper plants and sump pics
P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

and a pic of my turtle on the initial fill, back 6 months or so
P1010187.jpg

I'm running 2 2" bulkhead fittings for the drains, and 3 1" bulkhead fittings for the returns, with 2 pumps running around 1800-2000 gallon/hour. I have a 1/2 gallon/hour continuous drip system on it too, that I need to throttle back some. I'm hoping that the plants will get enough sun from the window, as the last plant did fine, but have some lights ready if they seem to need it. Right now I'm just waiting to see if they bounce back from the transplant.

looking good man !!!!

here is a update on my system i have added some carrots some green cabbage, broc. to the system .. so far they are doing great its been 4days... enjoy

IMG00701-20101005-1643.jpg

IMG00703-20101005-1643.jpg

IMG00700-20101005-1642.jpg

IMG00702-20101005-1643.jpg

Any updates on your systems? Are you still using them? Results, thoughts, rejoices.........regrets? How was your results compared to growing in the soil or regular containers..... Inquiring minds and all that. :halo:

I'm about to start building a VERY SIMPLE (and small setup) using an old bathtub and some other recycled containers to grow a couple of plants and (excuse the pun) test the water. I'm interested in your comments on the experience/results so far. It looks like an amazing closed loop approach to grow organically. I've wanted try this for years and I'm finally getting around to make it happen.

Back