• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce 357 wing sauce

I know by now you guys have Defcon as the best but I have an unopened 357 Mad Dog Wing Sauce. Has anyone tried it? I am wondering if its any good and if I should mix in Jersey Death with it?

Cheers,

Did a batch of wings with it tonight - not bad. 7 out of 10 on taste, 8 out of 10 for heat ( my heat scale - 7 is most restaurant's suicide, 8 makes me sweat, 9 makes me have a drink, and 10 - I have to stop and regain my will to live...).

Still not what I'm looking for ( 9 for both heat and taste ), but better than anything else I've tried. Level 10 in heat is for nachos and curry only...

Defcon 1 is next on the hit list.

DEFCON Creator said:
And your seat at the Deathmatch table next year in Toronto awaits you.

Yeehaaa !!! :( ( Wait, can I say that north of the border ??? )

I notice from your site speed is also a determining factor. I'll need to work on that, but I am definitely there. Any idea when ? I want a shirt...:D

Hot Canuck said:
Yeehaaa !!! :rolleyes: ( Wait, can I say that north of the border ??? )

I notice from your site speed is also a determining factor. I'll need to work on that, but I am definitely there. Any idea when ? I want a shirt...:lol:

"What's this about???"

Yup, speed is a factor. 10 cute & cuddly wings in 4 minutes. After the time is up, both hands down on the table for 5 minutes (no drinking or eating anything). Those who survive, whoever finished the wings first, wins. Sounds simple, doesn't it?

We haven't come up with a date yet for the next visit to Toronto, figure sprindtime.

Along with the Defcon order I ordered Big Dave's Devil Dust - it had the highest heat rating of the powders. My thinking is maybe I need to tier the heat levels to get where I want to be. When it arrives, I am going to dry rub the wings with Dave's, and then sauce them when cooked with the sauce...The only thing I can see going wrong is the flavours not combining well..I'll do half the wings without the rub to compare.

Re the Deathmatch - I think there are some secrets to success...I've got 3/4 of a year to work on my theories...Told the wife about the contest - she says you should just mail me the shirt...:rolleyes:

Defcon 1 is a very good sauce and nice heat. Combine that with Defcon 0 is a nice heat treat. Honestly the flavor has won me hands down.

I dont think if the powder would give you the level as the extract in 0 because of its a creeper and hangs on but it would help to get acquainted to the level of heat.

LUCKYDOG said:
Defcon 1 is a very good sauce and nice heat. Combine that with Defcon 0 is a nice heat treat. Honestly the flavor has won me hands down.

I dont know if the powder would give you the level as the extract in 0 but it helps to get acquainted to the level of heat.

Unfortunately the site I ordered from did not have Defcon 0 available - that is why I opted for the rub. I have enough extracts ( Bomb, Insanity, Endorphin ) that I've used to ramp up my previous sauces. I am looking forward to trying Defcon, and we'll see how my little experiment works...Half the fun of cooking is trying something new.

"Defcon 1 is a very good sauce and nice heat. Combine that with Defcon 0 is a nice heat treat. Honestly the flavor has won me hands down."

Thanks man, it really doesn't take much skill to make something hot, it all has to do with the flavor.

"Told the wife about the contest - she says you should just mail me the shirt"

I can tell we've never met. :drooling:

DEFCON Creator said:
"
"Told the wife about the contest - she says you should just mail me the shirt"

I can tell we've never met. :beer:

:drooling: :pray: :drooling:

Ah well, it's all in fun till someone loses a tongue...We have a chain up here called Wild Wing. Made me sign a waver for their hottest wings. I bet the bartender a beer I could eat all 10 without drinking...I won the beer...Hurt like hell, but I won...I have to find some Defcon 0 to see what I'm in for...

Cheers.

Ken

Hot Canuck said:
:drooling: :beer: :drooling:

Ah well, it's all in fun till someone loses a tongue...We have a chain up here called Wild Wing. Made me sign a waver for their hottest wings. I bet the bartender a beer I could eat all 10 without drinking...I won the beer...Hurt like hell, but I won...I have to find some Defcon 0 to see what I'm in for...

Cheers.

Ken
Was this when they still offered the million scoville wings or their now weaker wings. Not a slag towards you if they were the weaker wings, more a slag towards that bartender. If it was the million, good on you man, I never made it past 7 without dying.

Chris Kewley said:
Was this when they still offered the million scoville wings or their now weaker wings. Not a slag towards you if they were the weaker wings, more a slag towards that bartender. If it was the million, good on you man, I never made it past 7 without dying.

It was 4 or 5 years ago at the Keswick location. They used the real stuff - unlike Newmarket, which has always woossed out. Don't get me wrong - they were damn hot - but so was the bartender ( if you've been there, you know who I mean - I think she's one of the owners ), so I wasn't losing...I'm sure the site of sweat cascading off my face like flippin' Niagara Falls impressed the hell out of her...:drooling:

But the real question is how did they taste was it a chemical/coppery taste? Defcon 0 has virtually no taste or aftertaste actually I found it quite sweet. Ive had wings at wing cookoffs and they use the hottest worst tasting extracts they can find and taste like garbage but the taste isnt what they are looking for.. just heat. I ate a few of them I dont care if they offered a shirt or 100$ I wouldnt want to eat them because they tasted like total crap nor were the cramps worth it.
I would love to go to a D-match myself some day when it is near by again

There was very little flavour. This is why I said earlier I reserve the blistering heat levels for curry or salsa - there is a flavouful base already there - you just ramp it up to where it's painful. Because there is so little sauce on wings compared to the volume of meat, you need to use almost pure extract to get that level of heat, and it just doesn't make them tasty. Now drop down one level, or two with a bit of extract added, and you might get blistering wings that are tasty as well.

That is my quest...Maddog 357 is the closest I've found. I'll know by next week if Defcon is my Holy Grail...

"Because there is so little sauce on wings compared to the volume of meat, you need to use almost pure extract to get that level of heat"

Huh? Nope.

"That is my quest...Maddog 357 is the closest I've found. I'll know by next week if Defcon is my Holy Grail..."

The #1 is very hot, but not so hot as to blow your face off, I'd rather people be able to taste stuff as well. Even the Deathmatch wings, which are full of ancient Chinese secrets have flavor, however, the post-consumption is always a lot of fun to watch...From a distance.

DEFCON Creator said:
"Because there is so little sauce on wings compared to the volume of meat, you need to use almost pure extract to get that level of heat"

Huh? Nope.".

Just to clarify - I don't slather my wings in sauce. Pull em from the grill, put in a bowl, pour in sauce, toss and serve. I don't like super sloppy wings. I noticed the guys in the competition looked pretty messy - my guess is there is a lot of sauce per wing.

Back