• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

48-LED White Light Bulb (110V AC) 3w $7.95

I'm tempted....no specs though.

http://www.fruper.com/

yhst-80416428269672_2050_3529725

Here's one with some specs with it:

http://plasmaled.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2400151

$7 for the light, $9 for shipping.

Household LED Light Bulb 110V E27 (any USA normal socket)
NEW! STATE OF THE ART! 2008 The latest and most exciting product to be introduced by us. Saves power and gives you usable light. Do not compare this with other LED light bulbs on the market, these actually work! They should give you as much light output as a standard 25 watt light bulb, but consumes 8 times less power!
Specifications:

E27 110V standard US socket
3 Watt High Power LED giving you Super Light output 60 lumens
40 Degree lense shines a nice beam.

Features:

High Brightness WARM WHITE COLOR = 3200K similar to normal bulbs
Environmental protection
Saves Power (only 3 watt, 5% of the average 60 watt bulb)

millworkman said:
White light is not ideal for growing.

I thought cool white light around 6,000k is best if you used a CFL type setup? This is of course assuming I don't have the money for MH or HPS. The reason I'm interested in this is because of it's efficiency and bang for the buck.

I think you need to do some research and get to understand how LED's work. I've done quit a bit of research on MH, LED, and CFL setup and they all have their places along with pros and cons of each. I read a really good article on LED's in Maximum Yield. It's a magazine that focuses on the inside gardner. Here is a link to the article. CLICK HERE!!

Make a note on the bottom of the article that reads "LED's are great, but will NOT yield the same huge crop that MH/HPS lights will."

Here is another VERY well written article by the same author Erika Biksa written back in 06, but very helpful and informative on understand how lights effect plants at different stages of growth. CLICK HERE!!! It was this article that made me realize I need to start with CFL for the first week, move up to a 400 watt MH the next few weeks and then upgrade to a 1000 watt MH just before the plants go outside. So far I have been able to get a crop of about 50 seeds to grow as much as 6-8" in 6 weeks and will be putting them outside to harden off before going into the grown. I will be sure to keep a few favorites inside and will continue growing them under HPS lights when they are ready.

SnakeDoc said:
I thought cool white light around 6,000k is best if you used a CFL type setup? This is of course assuming I don't have the money for MH or HPS. The reason I'm interested in this is because of it's efficiency and bang for the buck.

Where is Omri when you need him.
If you were to go with LEDs I think it is best to do a mixture of blues and reds, and not colored lenses. From what I understand, white leds actually output a specific wavelength that is unusable by plants, or barely usable. Plants use mostly blues and reds. Do some searching on this site and you can find some led setups by members that can be cheaper than what you would pay for a couple of those bulbs anyway.

To each their own, but I was able to get plants more than 8" tall in eight weeks using a 105 watt CFL.

As for LEDs, GreenPineLane has shown they can indeed be used to raise plants through the fruiting stage - it's just they are not cheap initially.

Mike

millworkman said:
Where is Omri when you need him.
If you were to go with LEDs I think it is best to do a mixture of blues and reds, and not colored lenses. From what I understand, white leds actually output a specific wavelength that is unusable by plants, or barely usable. Plants use mostly blues and reds. Do some searching on this site and you can find some led setups by members that can be cheaper than what you would pay for a couple of those bulbs anyway.
He's probably drunk somewhere...
Anyhow white light is not a specific wavelength, but a whole bunch of them. plants don't use red or blue light, but light from the blue and red ends. in practice it's more like orange and teal.

To get that 6000K light or any other light you need to mix different wavelengths. different bulbs usually use different wavelengths for the same color. plants react to those wavelengths, and that's part of why some bulbs are better than others. the whole idea behind LEDs is using the exact wavelengths you want, and not a wide spectrum that only some of it is useful for plants (and all of it consumes electrical power). using white LEDs kinda defeats the purpose.

To sum it all up. white LEDs will work. red and blue LEDs will work as well... but to REALLY get the full potential, you need something a bit more complicated. a wider spectrum if you wish.

Interesting. I've always wanted to try those big panels of LED's for both efficiency and lack of heat. Those look really cool, but I wonder how practical they'd really be in mass quantities.

Back