• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

5-gallon pots are not 5-gallons.... word!?

Yeah... if its a bucket it should be five-gallons... some of them even say on the bottom: "5 US Gallons".... that's what I used to confirm the pots were too small in the photos i sent in to verify my complaint.

I guess its good to always remember to watch out for "Trade Gallons".... US Gallons are what you are looking for.

Fill the big pot, then pour it into the smaller pot until it is full. You pour out the smaller pot completely. You then pour the stuff from the big pot into the smaller pot . Then, you fill the big pot and pour it into the remaining space of the smaller pot, leaving you with X amount of stuff in the big pot.

OR

Fill up the smaller pot and pour it into the big pot, refill the smaller pot again and top off the big pot. Dump out the big pot and pour in the stuff left in smaller pot. Fill up the smaller pot completely again and pour it into the big pot to make X amount of stuff.

X=4 gallons or you got screwed.

http://youtu.be/fEkWH8DB7b0

Phil, what kind of production did you get from the 3 gallon planters?

Not too shabby for only 2 hab plants and a naga... but I could definitely benefit from larger pots, that's why I was looking at the 5 gallon pouches

(edited for punctuation)

8102530130_f925097712_b.jpg

8235436342_f415282be9_b.jpg

Sounds alot like the hard disk drives for computers also

They say X amount of Gb space but it is not actually that size
reasoning is that a Gb is 1024Kb For HD sizes they basically round it down to 1000kb as 1Gb
so if a drive says that it is 100 Gb it is actually 102400Kb

Just to add to this discussion, last year I grew several chilies in 5-gallon Orange Homer buckets that I had drilled drain holes into. After the night chills we had this past Winter killed many of those peppers (I had to be selective of what to put in my small greenhouse), I pulled up the dead plants out of those buckets. What I discovered is that the roots did not go down all the way to the bottom of the bucket. In fact, they would have done just fine if those buckets had been 50% more shallow.

This year I am purchasing #5 containers (aka 5-gallon) from a local hydroponics store for a couple of reasons. First, I get them for about $2.00 a piece, which is less than even the Homer buckets at Home Depot at $2.75! Second, while they are about the same diameter, they are a bit more shallow than the Homer buckets. And what that means for me is that I don't need quite as much growing medium in a #5 pot as I do in a Homer bucket.

I have no way of knowing for certain but, it's possible that your soil was likely not draining well enough and, because of the soggy soil, the roots were being "water pruned". Every pepper I've ever grown in a 5 gallon bucket filled the entire bucket with roots. In fact the bottom of the buckets always had the circling you always see in a "rootbound" plant. Here in SE Louisiana we have a long growing season and maybe my roots have more time to grow than yours do? I am gonna plant about 20 plants this year in Walmart bags. Hoping to get results similar to the commercial geotextile bags.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

OK a simple wrong would've done just fine.

Because the plants were full of flowers again, and I wanted to make room for the new fruit. All of those green ones ripened on their own after picking. They did fine.

I've had pods ripen off the vine myself, but only when they had a little of non-green color—starting to ripen. I didn't know that pure green pods could fully ripen off the pod as well. I'm always worried that those seeds will be less viable than seeds that ripen on the vine.

Nursery "trades" are slightly smaller then "true" sizes. Does anybody really fill the soil to the top ? If you're happy with 5 gal containers, I'd recommend 7 gal to allow for soil erosion an other factors (topping off during the year with compost).

I've had pods ripen off the vine myself, but only when they had a little of non-green color—starting to ripen. I didn't know that pure green pods could fully ripen off the pod as well. I'm always worried that those seeds will be less viable than seeds that ripen on the vine.

They sure will! Bonus! But with them being habs, and seeing as how I was planning on keeping the plants anyway, I wasn't too worried about keping seeds. I'm sure that as long as the pod is mature, the seed will be mature and viable as well. I guess you could say it's the "green banana" scenario.... set them out, and they ripen and finish ripening on their own. Tomatoes, bananas, peppers..... all apply. Plus, if you let them hang on the plant until they fully ripen, it forces your plant to put energy into ripening fruit that can ripen on its own instead of producing more... which is one of the laws of nature. Plants want to reproduce as much as animals do!

Anyway, with the varieties I'm growing this year, I'd like more production, so I was looking into the larger grow bags so I could possibly keep seeds.... I was hoping these bags would be a true 5 gallon, but I don't think 4 will be THAT much of a sacrifice.... some, but hopefully not much

I have no way of knowing for certain but, it's possible that your soil was likely not draining well enough and, because of the soggy soil, the roots were being "water pruned". Every pepper I've ever grown in a 5 gallon bucket filled the entire bucket with roots. In fact the bottom of the buckets always had the circling you always see in a "rootbound" plant. Here in SE Louisiana we have a long growing season and maybe my roots have more time to grow than yours do? I am gonna plant about 20 plants this year in Walmart bags. Hoping to get results similar to the commercial geotextile bags.

This thread is starting to veer way off of the original post, but I have to admit that I'm curious about what you mean by "Wal Mart" bags....

They sure will! Bonus! But with them being habs, and seeing as how I was planning on keeping the plants anyway, I wasn't too worried about keping seeds. I'm sure that as long as the pod is mature, the seed will be mature and viable as well. I guess you could say it's the "green banana" scenario.... set them out, and they ripen and finish ripening on their own. Tomatoes, bananas, peppers..... all apply. Plus, if you let them hang on the plant until they fully ripen, it forces your plant to put energy into ripening fruit that can ripen on its own instead of producing more... which is one of the laws of nature. Plants want to reproduce as much as animals do!

Anyway, with the varieties I'm growing this year, I'd like more production, so I was looking into the larger grow bags so I could possibly keep seeds.... I was hoping these bags would be a true 5 gallon, but I don't think 4 will be THAT much of a sacrifice.... some, but hopefully not much

This thread is starting to veer way off of the original post, but I have to admit that I'm curious about what you mean by "Wal Mart" bags....
Wally Bags

Walmart

IMG_20130104_170523.jpg

Back