• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

50+ year old mountain bikers

Back in the day.....................................  I used to ride what I would call "off-road".  In my late 20's and early 30's I rode almost every weekend that I had free.  Trails along the Minnesota River bluffs mostly. A lot of the trail system was un-kept and natural. There were a few "club trails" that were amazing, but when I say "few", that's where the sport was at the time.  Finding other to ride with wasn't easy and my wife wouldn't have anything to do with off-road once she had her first crash on the trail. So I quit and found other things to do in my free time.

Getting into my 50's now and a few weeks ago I watched some videos on You Tube.  I was impressed. Also, discovering the number of bike parks that are now available and growing in Minnesota... I just couldn't shake the excitement  :P

So now I've ordered a new MTB with 27.5+ tires and am actually getting off my a$$ and training !!!  I am "stoked" ! Seriously STOKED !!!!! (not sure if a 50 year old is allowed to use that word lol) I haven't had this level of intention and determination in so damn long. YES !

I haven't done any real exercising in many... many years. I got lazy and a tiny bit heavy from sucking down the beers and burritos. But more than that I lost all the cardio capacity and endurance I ever had. I've been running on a track, and biking on a machine for the last three weeks and it's a whole lot harder to pump out the miles now that I'm 50+ .  I can feel it in my bones too.  Damn joints !!  Sore shoulder and knees are the most prevalent. Neck too I guess. But I'm not going to let that minor irritation deter me from my first downhill !!! 

Happy Growing !

Jeff

I haven't ridden in a very long time because the bikes now are hard on the neither regions, heard theirs been a huge upswing in medical problems since at least twenty years or so. Knee and neck issues too.

Voodoo 6 said:
Cycling is awesome, once you get the bike dialed in, and you pedal, its like riding on a cloud. Get a good music player and just crank.  

Negative.

The sound of the bike on earth is the music.

As your breath matches the beat.

Its like fishing.

The water is the music.

The fish is the fanfare. 

Because nature.

The best band ever!

texas blues hit it right on.  no head phones  for me neither.

the voices inside my head call  cadence..  

Back