• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

6-30-09 Pickin's

From top left clockwise:

Fatalii, Giant Thai Hot, Red Hab, ???, Black Pearl, Naga Morrich
6-30-09-Harv.jpg

Very cool SS. I was thinking Datil too but take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm still rather new at this pepper thing.

Silver_Surfer said:
I think so too. :D

Waiting on my two properly labeled Datils to ripen pods for a side by side comparison.

Don't you think they are a touch large for datil?

You harvest is mouthwatering!!!!!!!!!!!:mouthonfire:

patrick said:
Very cool SS. I was thinking Datil too but take my opinion with a grain of salt. I'm still rather new at this pepper thing.

Thanks patrick, we'll see soon enough.

Katrina said:
Don't you think they are a touch large for datil?

You harvest is mouthwatering!!!!!!!!!!!:mouthonfire:

Well, they are the first ripe pods of the season from that plant and the first to ripen are usually my largest. There are many smaller pods on the plant. I thought my first ripe Fataliis were on the large side too. :)

good selection of pods there SS...what are you plans for these?

Beautiful peppers, SS. The black pearl reminds me of the Inca Red Drop I grew a couple of seasons ago. Is it a baccatum?

Thanks ya'll

AlabamaJack said:
good selection of pods there SS...what are you plans for these?

Got enough sauce for a while so I think I'll add a few greenies, some maters and make salsa.

Bob_B said:
Beautiful peppers, SS. The black pearl reminds me of the Inca Red Drop I grew a couple of seasons ago. Is it a baccatum?

I believe it is an annum. Here's a link on it's creation and history.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2006/060426.htm

Apparently the black pearl is an f8 and its parents are the royal black(annuum) and an un-named plant with green foliage and round red pods(very likely an annuum)

From what I've read the seeds grow true and the plants will easily reseed themselves when the peppers are left to ripen and fall in the bed.

For a pepper classified as an ornamental this is a surprisingly tasty pepper and thick fleshed for its size. The taste is sweet, followed by a sharp burn that soon fades. The pods are really loaded with seeds (plenty to trade :)) so this is one I'd definitely recommend removing the seeds from before eating.

Looks like 6/30 is a popular day for harveting. :D

All beautiful and shiny. Let me know how the black pearl taste and what you can do with them. I think they're going to be on next year's grow list.

[edit] D'oh!
Already answered the question. My connection has been crap lately.

You really liked the taste of the black pearls? I thought they were terrible but the mother/father, the royal black wasn't quite as bad

POTAWIE said:
You really liked the taste of the black pearls? I thought they were terrible but the mother/father, the royal black wasn't quite as bad

They tasted fine to me, far better than a cayenne. At what stage did you eat them. I waited till they went from a bright red to a darker red color.

I'm glad you liked them. I tried them in different stages but found them bland and full of seeds, but they had good heat

POTAWIE said:
I'm glad you liked them. I tried them in different stages but found them bland and full of seeds, but they had good heat

Mine were anything but bland and like I said above, REMOVE the seeds first before eating cause these seed sacks are LOADED. ;)

Back