• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

68mudstud's failed 2010 pepper patch?

Well, I got off to a very late start this year, didn't start any seeds until the end of May.... and now I am kicking myself in the ass for it. Oh well... I'll let the pics do the talking.

the patch...

42f4a698.jpg

42845c19.jpg

a96278ff.jpg

Got a little bit of everything this year, but I have almost lost all hope for my habaneros.

The List:

42 habanero
46 jalepeno
4 thai hot
1 hungarian hot wax

2 Chocolate bell
23 Big Chile Sahuaros
11 Serrano
12 sweet bells
8 Anahiems.

Next year will be MUCH different...

I was kind of in the same boat. That's why I bought a bunch of live plants just in case. But I think you should be getting peppers either way. Maybe not as much but hey.....you still got that nice looking patch for next year.

Well, I have pretty much given up on it this year. I have a couple jalepeno and thai hot pods growing but that's about it. I'm just stoked for next year.

bc88387f.jpg

476b5a46.jpg

d1a15c23.jpg

c66a3b12.jpg

Hang in there, don't give up yet. You have a while before even Montana has a frost, who knows what the peppers will do in the meantime? You can't help but be surprised by peppers, they are amazing! There's always next year to correct mistakes but I think you will get more pods than you expect yet this year.

Don't give up. I don't think I am going to have much of a harvest because of the cooler than normal weather we have had in Washington. My plan is to take the best potted plants I have and try to overwinter them so they get a great start for next year. This will be the first time I try this, but all the great info on this site has given me confidence I can pull it off. I'm starting to look at this year's crop as a "2 year plan". Good luck!

I am in the same 2 year plan. My habs and bhuts are just starting to make flower buds, I might get lucky a get a couple pods just as this season ends. Do not give up, it will get better with time as you learn more about peppers and gardening.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. With a little help from a certain product earlier thiss month, I now give you....

1c0b71e7.jpg

e89115ea.jpg

Carribbean Red PODS!!!! :woohoo:
f2cfc8c8.jpg

Long Slim Cayenne
7d0a8480.jpg

Hungarian hot wax.... How do I know when these are ripe?
c721f712.jpg

Habs that havent grown over 2 inches.... From a local nursury
6e6b3911.jpg

Baby serrano
1496b9a7.jpg

Ok, the only chinense I have in my garden is those carribbean reds... What is wrong with them? They all have yellowing on the outside of the leaves. all of the annuums and pubescens look great though.

hab leaf:
a59ba9db.jpg

It's been a bad year for a lot of people. The heat on the East Coast has crushed my crop. I won't do 1/3 the # of pods I did last year. And a bunch of mine were overwintered so they supposedly got a head start. Next year will be better, I'm starting my seeds in January. Live and learn.

I'm fairly certain your Caribbean Reds are not Caribbean Reds. :( Caribbean Reds tend to be rounder with a pointy tip and a much lighter green until the ripen.

Sooooooo.... whats the certain product??? BTW the roof on the Bronco (?) is falling off :beer:

maybe to much water on the Caribbean Reds ? if not you can use some epsome salt in your watering 1Tbsp to 1 Gallon of water can even do a foliar feeding of it

I'm fairly certain your Caribbean Reds are not Caribbean Reds. :( Caribbean Reds tend to be rounder with a pointy tip and a much lighter green until the ripen.
I see... That's how they were labeled from the nursery. What do you think they are?

Sooooooo.... whats the certain product??? BTW the roof on the Bronco (?) is falling off :beer:

maybe to much water on the Caribbean Reds ? if not you can use some epsome salt in your watering 1Tbsp to 1 Gallon of water can even do a foliar feeding of it
GA3. mixed at about 350 ppm. And, there is no roof on my Blazer. it's tarped. for cruizing topless in the summer. I don't think it's too much water, because all of the other peppers are doing great. I'll try the Epsom salt. Thanks! :beer:

Yeah those Caribbeans don't look like Caribbeans. Seem way too slim.

The Hot Wax peppers are ready when they're at least 4 inches or so. Best when they're still yellowish but still consumed when they ripe to red. They can get awfully big though, had one of mine this year get around 7 or 8 inches and was a downright monster that weighed down the plant. Just try one and see how it tastes to get a gauge on when they're ready for ya.

Back