• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod 7 Pod Jonah?

These are peppers i grew in 2010 which were labeled 7 pod Jonah. I got the seeds from a trade with a friend.
I saved some seeds from a few pods but unfortunately they wont germinate. I guess they got too old.
After looking at pictures of what Jonah's are supposed to look like, they seem to small and have a different shape.
The flavor is fruity and great and the heat is absolutely NUCLEAR. Even after being frozen for 2 about years they are still insanely hot.
Any idea of what variety of 7 pod it may be?

P1000255.jpg

P1000251.jpg

There's a few with the classic Jonah shape, while there are a few with a Brain/Moruga shape as well. Tough to call it. Almost all of my Jonahs have the shape of the one that is on the very far left.

Here is are a few pics with the average size pods I still have in the freezer.
The Bahamian quarter is the same size of a US quarter.
Gonna try some of the frozen seeds in the hopes I might get lucky.

P1000415.jpg

P1000418.jpg

These are my Jonah's. Some of yours have the shape, but others don't. My Jonah is pretty stable, as all of the pods are almost identical in size and shape.

e614c19b.jpg

The Nuclear heat is a good sign, mine made me see Jesus.

+1 That's what my Jonahs look like and yes, the big pods on my plant pack a TON of heat.

Yeah I'm definatly thinking its a different strain of 7 pod.

These are my Jonah's. Some of yours have the shape, but others don't. My Jonah is pretty stable, as all of the pods are almost identical in size and shape.

e614c19b.jpg

The Nuclear heat is a good sign, mine made me see Jesus.

Even the color looks different. Your's look like more orange/red and mine were more blood red and maroonish on some pods.

I'm going to say moruga or butch-t ish.

But I'm starting to think unless I get into biogenetics, it sure seems like a lot of these formal names from this tiny Island are more alike than different. I'm new though, so I imagine it takes a long time to really learn to detect the nuances. But so often I think, maybe it's a Moruga + 7 pot, or I'll think - wait - this Moruga ? Why not just call it a 7 pot, after all it surely will flavor 7 pots of food.

I would wager if given a DNA test, the moruga and 7 pots would all show very similar ancestry.

I'd LOVE to see a map showing how various species evolved, haven't found it yet, I DO have a nice chart showing what can cross with what- it's a rather complicated chart but implies SOME history.

I'd even love to know where the Capsicum itself derived from, what progenitor was the first capsicum from ? That has to be millions of years back though.

I bet some forest monkeys had some REAL surprises when Capsicum chinense started to emerge.

"Hey - what's wrong with larry, he's totally flippin' out - screamin ' - what's his problem, I've not bothered his mate ALL season and he's STILL posturing- I bet he's been eating those giant red berries we told him not to again"

Back