• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7 Pod or 7 Pot?

lilcholo

Banned
What is the true name for this species of pepper?

I heard it was called 7 pot because 1 pepper/pod had enough heat to cook up 7 pots of chili, stew, soup, etc...

7 pod? Makes it seem like they either come out in clusters of 7 pods or the plant only has 7 pods.

Anyhow, what is the correct name?

Both. One was first the other was lost in translation.

I go with Pot, as the original.

Both. One was first the other was lost in translation.

I go with Pot, as the original.

+1 on that one, I usually say 7-Pot, and when I label my seeds/plants, I go with that name, as well. Since pepper fruits are called "Pods", and the name for 7-Pots is often shortened to "Sevens", 7-Pod is just as viable of a name in my book.

From what I understand,both work...The first logical explanation I heard,was "it's like 7 pots of chilli,or one pod could heat up,7 pots of chilli"..Something along the lines of that.

And to be honest,Depending on who I'm talking to,depends on how I say 7pod/pot. You just know some people who will completely lose their damn minds,even at the word POT(OMG HE SAID POT)...It's only happened to me once(noob),but I got a reaction from someone I didn't like...Nothing to crazy,just enough to make me think I should choose my words better. We all know these types....Complain,Complain,bitch,and then complain.

This may all sound like crazytalk to some...LOL

But ya either or

Cardi(Caribbean agricultural research and development institute) has always called them 7 pods, so I go with that. The 7 pots of stew story has become very popular over the last 6 or 7 years but Trinidadians I talked to many years ago called them 7 pods and had never heard the 7 pot story

Hmmmm, still really doesn't answer the true question.

My real name is Michael but I've been called Miguel (In Spanish) by my mother, Mike by my stepdad a long time ago and I stuck with Mike ever since because I thought Michael sounded a little too eh...for me as a boy.

Mike, Miguel, Michael, etc... are all interchangable but only one is true which is Michael.

So although both would be semi-correct in terms of the 7 Pod/Pot, there can only be one true name to this plant.

I can understand the CARDI explantion but it still doesn't make "Pod" the real name to this plant unless they developed it.

For instance, the 1015 Onions here in Texas....some say that name originated because they were developed down the road from me here on FM 1015 in Weslaco, Texas but some say they're called that because they are supposed to be planted on Oct. 15. The latter being the real reason why the 1015 Onions are called that. It was weird though cause they were developed at a Texas A&M Ag Research facility on FM 1015 so it's easy to understand the confusion on this onion and it's 1015 title.

Oh well, I noticed 7 Pod on some seed sites as well as 7 Pot on other sites. The confusion continues...sorry to have started another thread on the same topic and thanks for all the replies.

CARDI did not develop it, it is an old Trinidad landrace chile. They have been calling it 7 pod before any of us here knew about this pepper so I would trust them over a now popular hear-say story

7pot/pod hasn't been /developed/ I wouldn't say... It was found on Trinidad as a landrace, and not that far from a number of other unstable landraces. Seeds have been going around for long enough that there are a number of stable (and unstable) strains all descended from the original.

Who has naming rights? Well I say look back to the islands they came from - as Potawie pointed out Trini's call them 7pod. Which makes me feel like thats probably what we should call them now.

However I DO like the story behind the 7pot. Guess I should change the names on my seed lists.

I could see a native saying “Ah, heres one of those pods that can spice up 7 pots of stew” never actually calling it a name and somewhere down the line people start calling it 7pod or pot depending on how they interpret said comment. It’s amazing how fickle things like this can be.

Because it’s so messy, I opt to recognize either…though I admit I’m very partial to pot.

….we still talking about peppers right? :D

Now you've taken here-say and elevated it to the same level as documented proof.

Just call it 7pod or if you must 7pot/pod and be done with it. The trinidadians call it 7pod, nuff said. Just because some vendor changes the name of a chili and adds a cute story doesn't mean we should all adopt that name as well...

Tomato/tomoto, who really cares.

But those are spelled the same. :P

Now you've taken here-say and elevated it to the same level as documented proof.

It's ALL hearsay unless you were there ;)

We all accept chile chili chilli. But pod/pot causes an argument! Either is fine!

My guy from Trinidad and his family in Trinidad call them 7 pot, it was written on the baggies of seeds I received.

[7 Pot Douglah x Trinidad Scorpion Butch T] x 7 Pot Barrackpore = ?

Whatever to call that... that's what I'll be growing in 2013... so many mixed up plants really, I may just stop using names at all...

Edit: this is my 777th post, maybe the 777 pepper.

777 Pod or Pot? :lol:

:rolleyes: Oh right, how could I forget.

For years Moruga was spelled Morouga online, but Cardi always spelled it right

Seems to be a maintaining fidelity to whomever gave you the seed vs. the idea of a "correct" name. Perhaps as some of these peppers get more mixed up the categories could be redefined. For instance two of my favorite peppers this year are a Yellow 7 x Bonda ma Jacques and a Yellow 7 x Fatalii, as I grow these, over time I may just give an indication of the gene pool... eh... this will probably all get lost before too long anyway...

Many of the seeds I've gotten from Trinidad did not have a known name or proper spelling. Many farmers/growers just name their chiles with a simple name, often a discription of the pod shape like the Trinidad cherry, lantern, and nipples, or after regions like the Moruga red/yellow

Back