• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7 pot brain strain

I think some supers have awesome flavour like yellow 7pot. The heat kicked my ass but the flavour left over was great and what I remember most.

I notice a pattern with new growers being intrigued by supers at first but eventually settling down to grow less hot and more approachable varieties after that.

I'm a rookie for sure; been cooking with supermarket/farmer's market/CSA/mercado chiles for a long time, and I grew some chiles when part of my job was job coaching at a mostly-organic farm where disabled adults worked, but 2017 will be my first season with a garden at home, unless you count my mom's somewhat productive gardens back when I was a kid.  (She'd make me pull weeds; i didn't help much beyond that...and eating stuff.  She grew bells, but that's the only peppers.)  And, as a rookie, I intend to grow one, maybe 2 Supers in 2017.  I'm mostly focusing on stuff in the 100,000 to 400,000 SHU range, plus Jalapeños, Serranos, and i want to try some mild/sweet chinense varieties, like Ecuadorian Sweets, NuMex Suaves, shit like that.  

The fact is, something at the standard Hab level is probably right around my comfort zone for most dishes that I make, and for the occasional whole&raw pod sampling.  But, I want to grow some Supers b/c I wanna push at the boundaries of my comfort zone a little bit, plus I find that Superhots are far more manageable within the context of a meal or within a complex sauce or salsa or whatever.  Sure, we've all seen vids of guys just popping whole & raw Supers in our mouths, and most of us have probably tried it ourselves, but that's probably not the "proper" way to enjoy those pods.  (No disrespect intended to those who do enjoy eating Supers that way; by all mans, keep it up!)  But, trying a Super as an integral component of a recipe you find on THP, or as a means of spicing up one of your old standby dishes?  That kinda allows one to enjoy the flavours and character of the pepper without melting one's face clean off.

Whenever I get some pods in a box that are a bit too hott for me to devour straight-up, I usually dice one of'm up and add it to a 2-egg omelet with onions, garlic, and whatever cheese I have on hand.  Plenty spicy, but the eggs'n'cheese cut down on the sting a bit.  And, it's such a familiar and simple dish, I really get a sense of how the chile in question compares to others I've had...

And they are delicious!

I think supers tend to have amazing flavour in comparison to milder pods. But yes, accompanied by much more cap, of course.

BrainStrain is amazing!  I found a jar of puree in the back of the fridge last night.  Put a tablespoon into some coleslaw for chicken burgers.  Soooo good!  Awesome flavour.  Damn good heat.

This morning was fiery :onfire:

Yeah, y'know... one of my first posts here was asking ppl for opinions and comparisons between Scorps (in general) and 7Pots (in general).... that's where everybody told me to try both and see for myself.  Well, I did... and as much as I enjoyed the Scorpions I've tried, I think the 7Pots have a flavor that I prefer.  Haven't had the courage to try the BrainStrains, but I believe I'm gonna grow 7Pot Brainstrain Yellows in 2017.  Should be fun!

Brains are the absolute hottest thing I have ever eaten. So much pain. I can't imagine a hotter pepper to be honest, I know people say they are out there but holy smokes... Brains are ridiculous.

I've been growing a few things this year, all the way from the supermild Trinidad Perfume to Scorpions and Bhutlahs. I haven't got the hang of it yet and results have been poor but, for me, the comfortable thing to add to a meal would be a tad below Ghost. 2 of the Caramel Bhuts I got from Helvete seemed perfect in last night's pasta sauce.
None of my Habaneros have made it to the kitchen before meeting my mouth, though I'll admit I wouldn't mind them a tiny bit milder (150k maybe?) for pure snacking purposes.

My non-supers are for flavour, my Bhuts are for a good cooking heat and my hotter supers are primarily a novelty. Even those though, I will not grow again unless I like the taste. Trinidad Scorpions are likely out.

An acquaintance brought some dried yellow 7-pots to share a while back and I'm definitely keeping seeds if they'll grow. Less heat than expected but wonderfully citrusy.
Will definitely be keeping an eye out for Brainstrains to try.

Yea, reapers and primos are both hotter than brains. They have a different type of heat that feels more like a chemical burn. Red brains are just under though. I haven't found anything between these in heat. Primos are my favorite! The chocolates are great too. Tom

I think superhots are leagues above other peppers for taste. I've tried many and perhaps the yellow fatalli pepper has a comparably pungent flavor. But when I go to the garden to grab a pepper to eat it is almost always a red or brown round golf ball shaped pepper. Trinidad round and crinkley. The superhot just make a meal incredible. I think about them almost all year and can't wait for superhot season. My fatalli peppers are all over ripe and never got eaten. Don't really want them mixing in the gene pool. Kinda a shame they didn't have a better burn because they actually have a stronger yellow flavor than the yellow superhots I've tried. I'm not into those either...disapointing burn. Same with the ghost. Cheap weak burn. In fact I'm either cutting or moving any pepper out of the garden that has a boring Burn. Brain strain is just a very well selected Trinidad style superhot.

Back