• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

7 Pot Dougla

Okay. First off, new to forums and new to all things sauce and salsa making. That said, let's get to the rookie questions:

I like weird stuff. I want to make some sauces with weird stuff put together (namely hot peppers and stuff like star fruit, dragonfruit, etc) and hopefully good stuff is a result. So let's start with the 7 Pot Dougla.

I have read that when you de-seed,de-oil, se-...stem? Basically neuter most, if not, all of the peppers insane spiciness; you have a really tasty pepper as a result.

My questions are this:

-if you were to 'neuter' the pepper, would it still be insanely spicy? Is the whole pepper spicy? Or is it just the seeds, oil, and stem?

-is it really a good tasting pepper to utilize for taste?

The seeds aren't hot. You would probably want to remove all the placenta material to reduce the heat.
The Douglah has a unique taste that I haven't tasted with any owner chocolate pepper. It's a nutty, smokey taste that is hard to explain. I think it was rated at 1.8M, so it is hot.
I'd say just jump in and do it. Start eating this stuff for 6 months and it will taste a lot less hot. If you want to wimp out, maybe start with a chocolate habanero. They have a good taste and more of a mellow burn. I always take the seeds out when I use these because I find them adding a bitter taste. The Douglah tastes better though. Tom

Most 'Brown / Chocolate' Peppers are well used as they have good flavour, especialy for 'Powders' or 'smoked' products.. The douglah is a VERY hot variety and well liked, however the less gnarly 7 Pot Brown is by most I find more well liked for flavour and only slightly less hot.

If you remove all the placenta etc and rinse the pepper to rid external oils, yes you will reduce alot of its heat but those same oils are in its walls and it still will have lots of kick...

In relation to your question its all about, did you want lots of pepper flavour... if so use more peppers and remove placenta / rinse them.. If you just want that background taste but still keep some heat, just de-seed the peppers and use the rest to keep some kick without overpowering the flavour..

This all changes if you use them fresh / dried / smoked / fermented  etc as the flavour profile changes and more / less pepper needs to be used to get flavour but as a rule heat remains high in these processes.

To be more precise - Will it still be spicy..  Yes..    Is it  a good pepper ?  Personal preference, a lot would say its good for certain recipes and not great for others.. Depending on what you want flavour your going for... Sweet / Rich / Smokey / Fruity etc.  Chocolate peppers I find are down the smokey rich path, sometimes fruity depending on the variety.

Thanks for the replies! If the 7Pot Dougla is best for a smoky flavor, than I should work with it. I'll try the exotic fruits in another recipe. For some reason, I'm hellbent on using the Dougla in something.

As far as fresh, dried, fermented, and smoked. I'm going to need to research those processes. It seems like it the Dougla works as a smoky flavor, wouldn't placing it through a smoking process work best?

Smoking a smoky pepper, makes sense to the rookie.

Wear gloves, seeds are bitter and I deseed any pepper i'm using except the tiniest of peppers. Even deseeded and placenta cut out it really doesn't change the heat much. It's still going to be hot as hell. 

Jase4224 said:
If you can get yellow 7Pot or yellow CARDI scorpions they are great for fruity sauces :)
Oh man! Why did you say that?! Now I MUST make a fruity hot sauce!

I'm now researching different exotic fruits and the peppers and making notes as we speak.

I think I'm going to be making more recipes than I thought
KrakenPeppers said:
Most 'Brown / Chocolate' Peppers are well used as they have good flavour, especialy for 'Powders' or 'smoked' products.. The douglah is a VERY hot variety and well liked, however the less gnarly 7 Pot Brown is by most I find more well liked for flavour and only slightly less hot.
You bring up the 7 Pot Brown and I started looking that up as a pepper alternative. I'm going to be maybe using my brother-in-law's friends as 'testing grounds'

I don't exactly want to 'destroy' them, and I'm starting to think that the 7 Pot Brown would be a better alternative. And you mentioned the taste of the 'Brown is better then the 'Douglah.
As far as taste goes between the two, is it a significant difference between taste? Or is it a taste that you pepper-connoisseurs would only know the difference? I'd much rather move towards a rich flavor, and work with the taste of the pepper; in the case from what it sounds like--rich, smoky flavor.

You guys mentioned that the 'Douglah and the 'Brown have a rich and smoky flavor. Would it work best to oven-roast the rest of the vegetables? Should I smoke the rest of the vegetables?

My wife is the kitchen guru in the family, so I'm picking her brain too on cooking methods; I've been a firm believer that if you can fit it in a microwave, it's edible.

Circle of honesty. This is my first try at making something from scratch. While it's exciting to give it a try, I have a 'measure twice, cut once' mentality about it. That, and it's quite overwhelming at what you CAN do. I can see where you good folks are coming from in whichc the experimentation has a degree of fun. I want to be able to get as much of it right as I can and just 'fine tune' it from there.

I would hope to use the Douglah so I can name the thing 'WITNESS!'

Spray paint like 1/3 of the jar chrome, silver lid, chrome lettering.

It's an idea.

Again, I apologize if I'm asking too many questions about methods and whatnot. I'm new to making things from scratch; I can make the kids lunches for school, eggs, cookies, toast, waffles, and what I call 'food-wads' for me.

That's my cooking resume.

Damn. If you oven roast a buch of 7 pots you better hope the rest of the family can take it!!!

Measure twice cut once. While that is a good motto doesn't usually work in the kitchen for me. I usually Lear from trial and error. And it usually the error part that teaches me most.

Good luck

Be very careful about cooking and blending superhot sauces inside your house. My family had a bad reaction to the smell and had to leave our house. They started coughing really bad. It doesn't effect me like that but it does everyone else. So now I cook and blend anything hotter than a serrano pepper outside on my portable burners. 

sirex said:
Damn. If you oven roast a buch of 7 pots you better hope the rest of the family can take it

Good luck
It'll be one of those days where the kids are at school and the missus is running errands; oven fan working at maximum. I'll probably choke on it too.

Would wearing one of those cheap face masks at Home Depot be enough of a 'blocker' so I can stay in the kitchen? Or do I need something with a legitimate filter/gas mask.

The Douglah and the 7 Pot Brown are often reffered to as the same pepper but a different Pheno (grew out differently) however I have found the douglah to be less flavourful and more bitter.

If your planning on cooking Douglahs especially in high quantities or by open heat ( fry pan / oven ) expect ALOT of capsascin gas to be floating around the house.. and people to be coughing. Cooking them in fluid (sauce) etc doesnt help much eaither but it can minimize the intensity..

An outdoor cooking station is recomended.. Portable burner etc, taken out to the garage lol

If you want to use fruit, a yellow Fatalii is hard to beat. Its only as hot as a habanero and had somewhat of a citrus taste, great with pineapple. Jays peach ghost scorpion for peach and mango type fruit.

Best "smoky" tasting pod I've found is a Choc Bhut. Earthy, natural smokey notes.

Agreed with above though, if you're cooking with supers inside, I hope you enjoy sneezing and having your eyes run wild with tears.

When I make jelly and jams, I often gut the super hots and flush them with water.  They are still hot, but not as hot.  This way I can use more and get more flavor out of them.  I am sure folk will agree most of the heat is in the oil and placenta around the seeds.  I am fairly sure there is little flavor other than hot there.  Maybe its just that the hot overwhelms the flavor, but it seems like the flavor comes from the flesh of the pod itself.  Is also why I prefer the thicker walled pods.

Well I am going to pick up the 7 Pot X 7 Pot douglah I figure since they are big pods & I think yellow or yellowish they would be thick walled pods.
It may retain some smokiness form the douglah and be fruity as will.

Just shows how different people have different tastes. I usually hate chocolate superhots, in terms of flavour. Both the douglah and Brown 7-pots are decent, though.I find the Brown 7-pot to be a slightly dilute version of the douglah in terms of flavour. At one point I posted a back to back review of both those pods. I also have found the Brown 7-pot to be hotter, in general. I`ve had them both from my own grows and from at least 10 other people and that holds for my tastes and susceptibility to heat. 

Saying that, one of the best things I`ve ever eaten, from all types of food, not just heat, was a smoked douglah mash made by Buddy on here. That stuff is heaven on earth, but extremely hot, as you`d expect.

You might think about the Brown Moruga for a sauce containing brown supers. It is sweeter, less floral, less bitter and a little less hot. Not the Chocolate Moruga, the Brown from Judy. 

Removing the placenta (and seeds) will reduce the heat levels. When you are talking about superhots they go from insane down to very slightly less insane. The placental tissue is where all the capsaicin-making machinery is, but it bleeds into all tissues. 

There are a few brown C.chinense that make wonderful sauces and have great flavours. The includes all the Chocolate Habs/Bonnets, but I highly recommend PI 159236 and PI 159246.

Hurley said:
It'll be one of those days where the kids are at school and the missus is running errands; oven fan working at maximum. I'll probably choke on it too.

Would wearing one of those cheap face masks at Home Depot be enough of a 'blocker' so I can stay in the kitchen? Or do I need something with a legitimate filter/gas mask.

I've used a basic fine dust filtration mask with some success, but I hate feeling of having my mouth covered so I usually just deal with it lol.. I find more discomfort from the handling of the peppers when chopping / blending etc. Just remember that even though you wear gloves things like wrists and forearms have a habit of touching pepper contaminated surfaces... Running forearms under water for 15 minutes isn't my idea of a good time cooking lol.. Also get yourself a box of tissues so if you need to wipe or touch your face you use a fresh one each time, a tea towel sounds great until its been through your gloved oily hands and you cant remember where you last touched it ...

Back