• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod 7 pot/pod Jonah, TS Yellow CARDI

I bought seeds June last year from Peter at Semillas La Palma. I have ordered from Peter before and always have had excellent turnaround and service and the value for money is outstanding. Germination rates very good and all other varieties that I have bought from Peter (and that is a lot!) so far have grown true (or at least as I expected).

Based upon what I've seen on this forum, two don't seem to be growing true. The plants are podding up well and I'm waiting impatiently for them to ripen to get colours to confirm/disprove my suspicions. I will post a follow up as soon as I get ripe pods. I am keen to hear back on other forum members' opinions. Do these pods look to you as they should?

This one is from seed labeled 7pot Jonah Strain. The pods all look very similar in shape on this plant. I think that it looks more like a Morouga.
IMG_2637.jpg

This one is from seed labeled Trinidad Scorpion Yellow CARDI. There is some pod variation on this plant. The pics that I have seen of the CARDI show smooth pods.
IMG_2638.jpg

OK, here's the final update.

One sunny day later, here is the ripening Jonah pod. Nice dark orange colour:

IMG_2853.jpg

Ripe TS CARDI pod. Definitely smooth and yellow, but only one or two pods from the 20 or so on the plant have a scorpion shape:

IMG_2849.jpg

The fruit set on both plants is excellent. I guess that the two are correctly labeled, unless anyone here thinks differently...

What have I learned from this? Two things that I probably should have already known. That "juvenile" pods for these varieties have a rough surface that becomes smoother as they mature, and that pod shape should not be used to determine whether you have a trinidad scorpion or a 7 pot/pod. Now I just have to taste them...

Way back in the good old days...

There was a 7 pot jonah and a Scorpion jonah.

The yellow Cardi you have looks like the original 7pot jonahs did that I grew back then.

The Jonah you have looks like the scorpion jonah(which may or may not have crossed with Cumari to make Butch T's).
Both my scorpion jonah and 7 pot were from Butch and later I got some from Chris (2006 +/-).

Then 7 pot jonah strains were named - jonah improved etc.

With so many seeds that weren't isolated going around,it's possible that there are a bunch of versions of just about anything out there.
I don't doubt Peter isolated his plant,but with all the crossing going on.Even something stable can really be different than the original jonah was.

I remember when the big debate was IF 7 pots and Scorpions were actually the same pepper.
Back then they looked a LOT alike.
Tails have been bred into scorpions along with different colors...even though some 7 pots have tails or a Scotch Bonnet type look.

Another big deal,way back when was THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS A YELLOW SCORPION.
A plant grew yellow pods EVERYONE insisted it HAD to be a cross.
He handed out a lot of tons of yellow Scorpion FG.
Everyone I know of got the same pod type and color.These had a very unique,LONG tail.

Now it's been forgotten...it was a very big deal at the time.

A 7 pot I thought was pure for 4+ seasons(isolated) grew the same shaped and size pods the last season but lost all it's bumps and was smooth.
Still was hot but not as hot as before.

In general,I think most names these days mean very little,except for what the seed came from
I already see several,so called strains of the 7pot Chaguanas #2 that came from seeds I and eventually others spread around from my plant.

It's only been a couple seasons since I grew them myself from seeds I got several years ago.

Just an example of the things that can happen to a strain these days,IF it's even a strain.

Too many people didn't isolate and people who grow out the seeds afterwards in isolation consider them pure if their pods look similar to what I originally grew.
Growing out a hybrid might look like it's pure for who knows how long before it's other genes kick in.

I don't think the seeds I got were isolated in the first place.They were probably market pods from Chaguanas.
Maybe from a backyard garden.
Back then there were only a few 7 Pots and Scorpions around.
Bhuts were the hot kids on the block as were Naga Morich and Dorset Naga.

I haven't grown the Chaguanas #2 out long enough to see if they are stable,though ,so far they seem to be.

BUT I've had several people say they grew a couple plants but 1 put out pods they said were crazy hot.
But that depends on the guy eating it.
Several said they were easily hotter than Bhuts but not as hot as Butch T's.

Point is,that if you like the bad boys you grew.Isolated a few buds and keep it alive if you can.Re Named,cross or whatever.
It doesn't matter what it gets called until it's been grown out long enough to see if you got a landrace variety or a hybrid or possibly an heirloom.
It depends on Peter's original seed source I'd think and how long he has been growing it in isolation...

Google CARDI 7 Pot and Trinidad Scorpion.You'll find pics of very similar pods for both back in the early 2000's when they were still developing these peppers.

Back