• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7 Pot Primo and Moruga infused vodka

Threehundredc said:
i just had some of my scorpion vodka today after 3 weeks it lost almost all its color but is still floating but plenty of heat in the drink it was good
Thats where I'm at. the peppers are now a light orange and still floating. A bummer about the loss of color.

I put like 8 red brain strains in a bottle of bacardi 151 last year and they still in there.  It's way to hot to drink.  I did a shot of it and almost puked it's so hot.  I recommend taking them out after a few days or so.  The 151 completely stripped all the color off the pods.  I'm not sure what to do with it now.  I guess i could cut it with some other 151.  We have a rum bar here in town where Ian makes rum.  He wants to make a batch with some of my super hots this year, if i could get them to ripen i might donate some to his experiment.

6 months.
Optimum?
Depends on too many factors.
Less if it's warmer, more if it sits in a wine cellar.
Dark is the key.

If you can't fit the peppers into the EverClear bottle, go old skuul and use a mason jar.

Want badass?

Roast the peppers first, then dry them.
Add 1 drop ONLY of liquid smoke per 5th.

Put it in the dark for a year.

Alchemy, not chemistry.

High test mescal (clear, not brown) a sliced ripe pepper, nothing else.
A week, shaken once a day.
Totally different and an acquired taste.
But ---holy *$%@.
Don't forget the salt and lime.

No matter the method, the color will fade.
But keeping it in the dark will keep the color in the liquid better, as will using dried peppers.

PS.
Haven't tried with supers, but did a bit of experimenting with Jalepeno's and Habenero's once upon a time.

I debated roasting the peppers, however, I did not want to increase the heat anymore than it already was. Keeping it in the dark, back of my roll top bar from day 1, cellar temp. Its got a TON of the citrus fruit from the peppers, and is incredibly freaking hot. My fear is if the peppers to end up floating to the bottom that they will be in there for the duration, making it hotter and hotter and time progresses. As it stands right now, its borderline undrinkable (instant lip/tongue/throat numbness), however, when cut into a cocktail I'm sure its delicious...hence the continuing aging.

Nigel said:
I`ve done lots of this type of thing to try and make a certain flavor-infused alcohol. Whole kumquats work great, lemon peel, basil, star anise, black pepper, olives, fresh ginger, caraway seeds, coriander seeds, saffron. Of course, some were a complete disaster. Garlic-infused vodka was horrible. 
Cool thanks
Beerswimmer said:
I distilled a pepper wine I made. I'll try to find the post and link it.

Well I couldn't find it, but I still have the pics.  My thin mash/sugarhead habanero "brandy".

I had a ton of Caribbean red habs that were taking up too much freezer space.  I chopped them up, pureed them and cooked them in a pot with 7lbs of sugar and some water.  Then after about 30 mins I cooled it, and added it to my fermentor, pitched my yeast and waited.

IMG_20110917_180605.jpg

IMG_20110917_181917.jpg

IMG_20110917_183635.jpg

That was where I should have taken the pot outside and used my turkey fryer!!  Instead, I ended up gassing out my whole house and burning my entire respiratory system for a few hours!!!
IMG_20110917_191128.jpg

IMG_20110917_192920.jpg

IMG_20110918_110238.jpg

Then after the ferment finished I distilled it
Whiskers.jpg

The whole time it was fermenting it smelled like a just cut up hab with more fruit.  It kept the fresh smell the whole time, no rank or sour flavors at all.  I about died again when I was transferring it into the boiler.  The mash was HOT!!  The finished "brandy" was very good, different, but good.  The same fresh cut fruity smell of a really hot hab.  Smelled like it burn your mouth!  Tasted the same, but....NO HEAT.  None, zip, nada.  The cap oils don't vaporize until a much higher temp than ethanol. 

Pepper booze that tastes hot, but it's not.  The liquid left in the boiler after the ethanol was extracted WAS!!!! 
Thats chemical warfare

I was wanting to try something like this and searching found it for me! So many ideas. I just put one, not a Primo, into a fifth of vodka and back in the booze closest it went.

I think the whole point of this is the fun a parties, especially if you hang out with college frat boys (which I don't. Zeus, I couldn't stand me when I was that age.) Then challenge them to a shooter of it. They think they are such brave souls, then the alcohol evaporates and the burn. Give them a half hour to hour to recover and let them know that they get to relive the burn in a different way in the bathroom. Fun for all, well, almost all.

Did a simple scotch bonnet vodka that was 'meh' until the last draw from the bottle that nearly made me toss my cookies. And I was munching the bonnets whole in the garden but in the vodka, it was way more intense. Pretty much over the spicy vodka thing now!

Cap is alcohol soluble so it should be a little hotter!  The brandy I made smelled and tasted just like a raw pepper. But zero heat. Would be good for bloody mary's.

Back