• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7-pot primo IPA at The Belching Beaver in San Diego

Roguejim said:
I hope the IPA isn't as hot leaving your body as it will be going in...

Frankly, pepper taste/heat in beer just sounds ghastly. I guess I drink beer to put out the burn, not be the cause of it. Ghastly, I say...
Come on Jim, where`s your sense of adventure? Or is is sense of the absurd??? I`ve tried numerous chili-beer combos and they often do not work at all. However Belching Beaver did a Habanero/Cilantro beer the same way they are going to to the Primo/Orange rind beer and it was delicious. I was very surprised as I expected it to be horrible. 

Oh yeah, what a great mix...... The first pint was HOT, but the second was just as flavorful, but half as hot. The third was tremendously orange and primo flavoured, but a lot less hot. I had to buy a growler full, so a review will come tomorrow!!!

peppers were very generously provided by Brian Holmes at www.ghostpepperstore.com. 

Intriguing. I have tasted a couple of hot chile-flavored beers, but seeing pictures of the Randall gave me some mixed feelings. I have been kind of dismissive of flavor-infused beers as froux-froux, but does a heavy dose of capsaicinoids make it less poofter fare? Could I enjoy this while still maintaining my snobby 'tude about the vanilla-passionfruit delight?

There's one thing i love more than peppers and that's beer! Mmm! Gimme a primo beer and id be in heaven! Lmao.. Must add that i tried that jalapeno stoli vodka and yuck! Wasn't for me!

What an interesting brew we have here. I guess the peels would have added a nice acidic orangey flavor too.
Nigel how was the public reception there to this hot IPA?

NuHot said:
What an interesting brew we have here. I guess the peels would have added a nice acidic orangey flavor too.
Nigel how was the public reception there to this hot IPA?
Initial reaction was "That`s way too hot, but it tastes great" The bar staff were mixing it 50/50 with the same beer that wasn`t going through the Randall and that was getting a very good reception. Even my wife Jill liked it, and she`s not much of a hot pepper nut.

The fact they used their double IPA probably helped a lot with the final flavors, as it`s a big bruiser of a beer and it stood up very well to the primo and orange flavors. You could certainly taste the primo in the beer.

Ají hombre said:
Intriguing. I have tasted a couple of hot chile-flavored beers, but seeing pictures of the Randall gave me some mixed feelings. I have been kind of dismissive of flavor-infused beers as froux-froux, but does a heavy dose of capsaicinoids make it less poofter fare? Could I enjoy this while still maintaining my snobby 'tude about the vanilla-passionfruit delight?
Much less poofter fare, yes. That`s my story and I`m sticking to it. They do a new one every week. Last week`s was grapefruit and basil and I liked it far more than I thought I would. 

I see no reason at all for you not to maintain a snobby `tude, yet enjoying capsaicin-loaded 7-pot primo and orange beer.  :party:

Back