7 Pot Primo Scoville Challenge

Adulteration does show - at least in the testing CPI did for Duffy.

You know, in the end, as many generations as there have been separating both varieties, if he did get a hold of some primitive (unstable) primo seed, after 8 generations of primo selecting one thing, and ed selecting another, both peppers are relatively unique.

As I recall, its kind of a genetic roulette wheel as to how things recombine (especially early on).

Even IF (and i don't think ed would) the seed was stolen, or if he happened upon the same cross, over time, they are now genetically different.

His average is like 1.5m, and they tout a 200k spread between hottest and mildest? so that's what? 1.3-1.6m shu?

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz- So boring. Can't we enjoy the peppers we have- aren't they hot enuf already?

Hey man.... If you don't like the heat, get out the pan.

Primo

Adulteration does show - at least in the testing CPI did for Duffy.

You know, in the end, as many generations as there have been separating both varieties, if he did get a hold of some primitive (unstable) primo seed, after 8 generations of primo selecting one thing, and ed selecting another, both peppers are relatively unique.

As I recall, its kind of a genetic roulette wheel as to how things recombine (especially early on).

Even IF (and i don't think ed would) the seed was stolen, or if he happened upon the same cross, over time, they are now genetically different.

His average is like 1.5m, and they tout a 200k spread between hottest and mildest? so that's what? 1.3-1.6m shu?

CPI referred me to Southwest Bio Labs in Los Cruces:

[font="Calibri""]Good morning Primo, there are two labs that we use for independent testing, our first choice is Southwest Biolabs here in Las Cruces, 575-524-8917. The other is Industrial labs in Colorado, 1-800-456-5288. We wish you the best of luck.[/font]
[font="Calibri""] [/font]
[font="Calibri""]Danise Coon[/font]

Mike at Southwest Biolabs did in fact do the Duffy testing.

I agree, anyone can take a pepper and with eight generations of hybridization make a new variety. Now, eight generations of selecting the best fruit of a variety does not in many opinions constitute a new variety. See the link below on the Dorset Naga. Same controversy. So, lets just say someone took a 7 Pot Primo and selectively grew it out for eight years without a cross. Patents would protect that sort of thing. Well, I don't believe in patents ala Monsanto.

http://www.thechileman.org/naga_morich.php

Primo

Good morning Primo, there are two labs that we use for independent testing, our first choice is Southwest Biolabs here in Las Cruces, 575-524-8917. The other is Industrial labs in Colorado, 1-800-456-5288. We wish you the best of luck.

Danise Coon

I agree, anyone can take a pepper and with eight generations of hybridization make a new variety. Now, eight generations of selecting the best fruit of a variety does not in many opinions constitute a new variety. See the link below on the Dorset Naga. Same controversy. So, lets just say someone took a 7 Pot Primo and selectively grew it out for eight years without a cross. Patents would protect that sort of thing. Well, I don't believe in patents ala Monsanto.

http://www.thechilem...naga_morich.php

I believe you can only patent a name, not a variety unless its special enough to get PVP status

There are also new criteria for Guinness records which would likely eliminate any chance of a new record without proper documentation right from the start by a certified horticulturalist

In my opinion, pod size is a key factor. The 7 Pot Primos I grew over several years always produced relatively small pods. Small compared to other super hots. If the HP22B has this same trait, I'd be curious. Of course, it's just one factor of many, but I find that very unique. People should be taking a careful look at pod size putting them next to each other.

Absolutely, the pods you sent were very small. Even the pods grown from the seeds you also sent very small. Both were HELLA HOTT though.

I say Screw Guiness, who are they to monopolize the world's records.

Well they are the leading authority on it. I can pay off smaller companies to claim they saw me break most Guiness Records but until you hold that title you dont have much validity inthe Record field.

I will see if Ed(Nagacanario) will do a vid on his primo plants, they are 8ft tall and still growing. Oh they have some pretty big pods on them. Just ate one yesterday for a pod test for him. Told ed he needed to talk to primo. Dude grows some sick s

One question --- If this is indeed the procedure for testing what is there to keep a person from purchasing (or obtaining) some pure cap extract - injecting some inside of a pod and then drying the result - grinding and sending in for testing - would the test show any anomoly as a result or would the additional Capsaicin just increase the tested rating of the pod ??

First off, I think this challenge is a great idea. No room to grow Primos next season, but it's on my must try list. But I have to agree with JD here. I'm not sure an authority would accept the results from an unconfirmed source. To go beyond the injecting capsaicin, how would anyone know they didn't dry and grind a Butch T? I suspect genetic testing goes beyond the scope of the $46.

To add another level to this challenge, it would cost more money, but send in two samples a Primo, and another contender for hottest. Send in the results for both and a graph could be made showing, based on number of peppers tested, which ones seem to test hotter side by side.

9 for 10 with primos and 6 for 20 with reapers... planted same method, same day.

7 pot 'primo'

IMG_8472.jpg

hp22b reapers

IMG_8475.jpg

I would REALLY like to see what his big 7 Pot Primo pods look like. . How much bigger than the norm? Sounds interesting.

Chris

I will see if Ed(Nagacanario) will do a vid on his primo plants, they are 8ft tall and still growing. Oh they have some pretty big pods on them. Just ate one yesterday for a pod test for him. Told ed he needed to talk to primo. Dude grows some sick s

Primo

[font=Calibri"]Good morning Primo, there are two labs that we use for independent testing, our first choice is Southwest Biolabs here in Las Cruces, 575-524-8917. The other is Industrial labs in Colorado, 1-800-456-5288. We wish you the best of luck.[/font]

[font=Calibri"]Danise Coon[/font]

http://www.thechilem...naga_morich.php
Send me some seeds and I'll send my Dougs, Scorps and Morougas - you grow and test them. We'll , why don't we get the top growers to send in some seeds to one tester, end all of the arguments or start others. I'm waiting to see if Jim's Morugas match others eg Douglahs here from a friend- I also am waiting to see heat from others I've got growing here from famous growers with records and others who don't brag like Chris, Neil, Judy, we'll see. I got taste buds, I don't need a machine mate. If your's are hotter, I'll let you know. These Douglahs make my Yellow 7s, nagas, bhutts seem like cherry jubilee.

Back