• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Ok got home today an unexpectedly had 20 sprouts. Still too cold to get my bigger plants outside so in a pinch I went to walmart and purchased a 2ft t8 light labled grow light. Turned it on and its a funky purple color anyone ever used a 7800k bulb before? I'll probably go get a different bulb tomorrow just curious if any one has used that color.

I had 2 of those exact lights. They work for starting but they are more for surviving, not thriving. I used two, took the covers off the lights, screwed them into an 8" wide/2ft long/1/2" thick board, then hung it from a PVC stand by eye hooks. Total project cost about $25. It worked great for keeping plants alive until they could be planted out.

I had 2 of those exact lights. They work for starting but they are more for surviving, not thriving. I used two, took the covers off the lights, screwed them into an 8" wide/2ft long/1/2" thick board, then hung it from a PVC stand by eye hooks. Total project cost about $25. It worked great for keeping plants alive until they could be planted out.

Ok good deal ill pick up another one and some 6500k bulbs tomorrow and use that until I have more room and can get them under the t5s. Thanks for the help.

You can keep them very close to the plants, as they do not get hot. I kept them an inch or two away from the tops of the tallest plants. Good luck with your grow!

Some graphs of the nm they might or might not put out - gotta be true,it's on the net...

https://www.google.com/search?q=7800k+light+spectrum&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XZP1UuSDLsmFogSu_oDYBQ&ved=0CI4BELAE&biw=1024&bih=653

NM chart - for comparison.

380 - 400 nm Start of visible light spectrum. Process of chlorophyll absorption begins. UV protected plastics ideally block out any light below this range.

400 - 520 nm This range includes violet, blue, and green bands. Peak absorption by chlorophyll occurs, and a strong influence on photosynthesis. (promotes vegetative growth)

520 - 610 nm This range includes the green, yellow, and orange bands and has less absorption by pigments.

610 - 720 nm This is the red band. Large amount of absorption by chlorophyll occurs, and most significant influence on photosynthesis. (promotes flowering and budding) The ratio of red (660nm) to far red (730nm) in sunlight is about 1.2:1

720 - 1000 nm There is little absorption by Chlorophyll here, but Phytochrome uses a nice portion. Flowering and germination is influenced. Near and above the higher end of the band is the Infrared spectrum, which can also be heat and could cause elongation or affect water absorption/transpiration.

Many of these plant pigments have dual wavelength peaks that can be activated with led light combinations:The visible colors of light from shortest to longest wavelength are: violet, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red. Ultraviolet radiation has a shorter wavelength than the visible violet light. Infrared radiation has a longer wavelength than visible red light. White light is

Beta-carotene 450nm 480-485nm dual peak
chlorophyll a 430nm 662nm dual peak
chlorophyll b 453nm 642nm dual peak
phycoerythrin 590nm single peak
phycocyanin 625nm single peak
a mixture of the colors of the visible spectrum. Here is a summary of wavelengths (nm). If you are building your own LED Grow Lights it may be of help when selecting LEDs for your project.

200 - 280 nm UVC ultraviolet range which is generally harmful to plants. LEDs in this spectrum are non-existant or very expensive.

280 - 315 nm Includes harmful UVB ultraviolet light which causes plants colors to fade. UV LEDs in this range are now available and coming down in price.

315 - 380 nm Range of UVA ultraviolet light which is neither harmful nor beneficial to most plants.

Back