smokers A Boy and His Smokers

Looking forward to some pics here.  I am going to fire up my smoker tomorrow for a pork butt and some wings.

promise? been a while!

I definitely over-trimmed this guy.  Whatever, first run at a brisket in this rig and I am already drunk.  Gonna rub it at 11 pm or so and toss it in around midnight.  Gonna rub it with kosher salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.  Using cherry wood for the smoke.

IMG_3059_zpskclmgjbd.jpg

IMG_3060_zpsriqsd3s0.jpg

IMG_3062_zpse3uu3ijg.jpg

The fat out there is damn near useless ...

From what I understand, outer fat doesn't go in, ever - during cooking ...

Meat sweats and oozes, and unless you do something to change the direction of the membrane (like maybe, bromelain), all it can do is simply be the outermost surface (to dry out, bark) ...

Unless someone has something legit to contradict that, I'm pretty sure that's what I've read from the MC folks ... and they don't approach things anecdotally ...

Too late for a pic of my rubbed meat.... lol. Topped off the coals in the fire box, added water to the pan and tossed in the brisket.  Gonna wait up at least an hour to make sure the temp comes back to 225 (actually it is already back at 225 but I want to make sure it holds there).  I have faith in the DigiQ but that this is my first rodeo with it and want to make sure I can sleep soundly. 

My goal is to have this guy done at 2 PM.  At that point I wanna wrap it in a couple of towels and then park it in a cooler until dinner time at 7 pm.  I have been reading and some people have held them in a a cooler for 5-10 hours!  

Husker21 said:
So 8 hrs in and the meat temp is 166.  The point on this guy looks big... that or I just took a crappy angle on the pic.  I didn't want to keep the door open on the pit too long cause it as cold as a witches titty out there!  

IMG_3066_zpsaf9i0t0n.jpg
If yer looking yer not cooking!! If you're going to take it all the way in your smoker bring internal temp no higher then 196 max you've reached the usual stall temp of 160/165 sometimes this will take a while to push thru. You can wrap know if you like and place in an oven 235 250 deg till the 196 temp before you wrap add a little beef broth and some Apple juice this works great wrap in 4 layers of foil then put towel in bottom of cooler place brisket in foil tray in cooler cover with towels over it close lid till yer ready will keep for 8+ hours

If you were able to shuck that fat cap in a solid state you could've layed it on top for fat drippinessess. Either way looks great so far. I always hate when they cruise up in heat fast. Then they surprise me and hang around the 170-180 mark. Im going to have to take a little ride for lunch!  

Looks like the probe is in the point unless its going on an angle. 

Thanks salty. I have time to play today and plenty of coals left in the firebox. Gonna go unwrapped until I get around that 190-193 mark and then pull/wrap/place in cooler until go time. Smells epic out there.
LUCKYDOG said:
If you were able to shuck that fat cap in a solid state you could've layed it on top for fat drippinessess. Either way looks great so far. I always hate when they cruise up in heat fast. Then they surprise me and hang around the 170-180 mark. Im going to have to take a little ride for lunch!  

Looks like the probe is in the point unless its going on an angle. 
THP North East gathering coming to a town park near you! I am serious about doing something. I will start a thread :)

Hoping it does stall. Lol. I need to run out for a couple of hours this morning. Hopefully when I get back its time to wrap and keep it at temp until gouging time.

Husker21 said:
Thanks salty. I have time to play today and plenty of coals left in the firebox. Gonna go unwrapped until I get around that 190-193 mark and then pull/wrap/place in cooler until go time. Smells epic out there.

THP North East gathering coming to a town park near you! I am serious about doing something. I will start a thread :)

Hoping it does stall. Lol. I need to run out for a couple of hours this morning. Hopefully when I get back its time to wrap and keep it at temp until gouging time.

why wrap it then, you'll just steam and sog out the bark!

on a rack, like fried chicken ... imho ...

Back