• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

A Couple of ID's

I could use help identifying a couple of pepper varieties, although it might not be possible yet.

Has anyone grown C. chacoense? I got some free seeds along with a purchase from pepperlover.com, "Most Prolific" chacoense. The description on her site is that it is a smallish plant. I got one seed to germ and it is a little over three feet already, and just starting to bud.

chacoense-1_zps62ce45e8.jpg

chacbuds_zps36ff6a78.jpg

Another is PI281317. It is supposed to be a low-heat chinense from Trinidad. I grew two plants of this strain. One is definitely chinense, the other looks annuum-ish.

Here is what I believe to be the true PI281317. Looks chinense to me.

truepi_zps89f829d6.jpg

PI 281317 pods (haven't bulbed out in the center yet):

truepipods_zpscb871b90.jpg

Here is the not-PI281317. Pretty sure it came from the same seed pack as it looks nothing like anything else I am growing, and looks like an annuum to me.

notpi_zps7bfc0feb.jpg

It had two pod phenotypes. The early ones were round-ish. Not shown here is that one ripened directly from green to red.

earlynotpi_zps86345f4f.jpg

The later ones are more elongated:

laternotpi_zpse2900975.jpg

I don't find another annuum like this on her website. I suppose it could be a cross with an annuum, but if the mother plant is a chinense, could the offspring plant display annuum characteristics? The only chinense feature I see is two to three buds per node.

Back