• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

I would be targeting buts and other bottom fish. I get so sick of salmon. Insanely nutritious though...Do you ever make sushi with it? I rarely eat cooked salmon these days. 

BigB, congrats on the engagement!

FishinHank said:
I have 2 chest freezers. One is a 7cu ft and the other is a 5cu ft I think. I still have lots of room!
Do you vacuum seal your fish before freezing?  If not, how do you store them?

ColdSmoke said:
I would be targeting buts and other bottom fish. I get so sick of salmon. Insanely nutritious though...Do you ever make sushi with it? I rarely eat cooked salmon these days. 

Negative. I smoke 90% of the salmon I catch. I freeze it first to kill off parasites and then it gets cold smoked.

dragon49 said:
Do you vacuum seal your fish before freezing?  If not, how do you store them?

Sure do. I bought a chamber vacuum sealer last year. Love that thing.

I was hoping to show off some more, but I didn't catch any fish my last trip.  I then cancelled my next planned trip.  It wasn't just the disappointment; I was also growing tired of the routine and needed some weekends where I could sleep as late as I felt like and not have any responsibilities.  

Thanks to Fishinhank and the others who have kept this thread going.  

I'll be back on the lakes in September and will hopefully have some more pics to show off.  I take all keepers, but want to catch as many Pickerel as I can.  Out of all of the fish that I have a realistic chance of landing, the Pickerel are the best tasting.  I'll be saltwater surf casting before I hit the freshwater again.  I'd like to get some Striped Bass, but the only one I've ever caught was from a boat.  Unless conditions are bad, I should catch tons of young Bluefish.  The "snappers" are much better tasting than the bigger, oilier adults.  

I feel like showing off something, so here is a really cool lure.  This Cotton Cordell Wally Diver Triple Threat is an amazing and versatile lure.  I've caught Smallmouth Bass, Largemouth Bass, Pickerel, Yellow Perch, and Pumpkinseed Sunfish with it:

fVRkKtw.jpg

I’ll be away from the lakes for a while, but the good news is that Snapper (Young Bluefish) season is upon us.  I caught these this morning.  I had half for lunch and the rest are in my freezer.

A funny thing happened during one of the school runs where I caught most of them:  The local birds kept chasing my “snapper popper” rig as I reeled in.  They saw the rubber worm below the surface and wanted the meal.  One of them grabbed my line but quickly let go when I started reeling him in!

KsB0lzB.jpg

It's been an awfully cool and trouty summer here. Usually onto the warm water species in the summer,but the cool temps have been great,and have given me the opportunity to travel to all corners of this state.  Thousands of miles on the car,hundreds on the legs. Wish I had the energy to post a few hundred photos but a few will have to do.

15 mile hike and fly fishing trip to Forbes State Forest. Carnivorous plant bog at 2900 ft.

36699060606_c48a4c98da_b.jpg

35936841323_2fff01d778_b.jpg

35936854823_9948e71160_b.jpg

35911853914_b39cef97fd_b.jpg

35911859354_9a96b296b7_b.jpg

36529454566_d4f420d494_b.jpg

36606766391_69181a55a8_b.jpg

36699068626_7c17be5e54_b.jpg

muskymojo said:

What kind of fish is that?

Are you going to eat it?

muskymojo said:
I don't know much about saltwater fish, but it looks toxic to me.

It's technically a "Northern Puffer," and more commonly known as a Blowfish.  These aren't related to Japanese Blowfish and are safe to eat.  In fact, I had it as part of my lunch, along with some of the small Bluefish shown in the other pictures. There isn't a lot of edible meat on these—just the tail, but it is one of the most delicious things you can eat.

Took a trip out to the historic Hammersley Fork of Kettle Creek. Brutal day with near nil photo ops due to a hurricane.Not sure which one,they are starting to all run together anymore. But severe wind,periods of rain,and gin clear water made it even more difficult than it is recognized to be. Caught 5 in the bad conditions,but when the skies cleared I couldn't even take a step let alone cast without spooking everything within 100 feet.

36635147680_4f11a582c5_b.jpg

36853504852_d7f22bcce7_b.jpg

36216544663_bf9754ebf6_b.jpg

36853489902_d55ebd60b4_b.jpg

36853497202_8313b02d3c_b.jpg

36853510352_10440f2e5e_b.jpg

Back