• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

A Fishy Winter Grow: Stuff in a Tent

Be it ever so humble...

the-new-batch.jpg

Currently, there are three pepper plants on the bottom (the four all the way on the right are garlic experiments). The one that's nice and rootbound in a tiny container on the right is a manganji, which I pretty much just want to see the pheno from. In the bags on the left, there's shishito (which I found out my wife loves, so that goes on the list), and Greek pepperoncini, a.k.a. Friggitello.

I'm really hoping to grow giant white habanero, both over the winter and outside next year, but so far I've had no luck at all getting them to germinate. Which really sucks, because I was hoping to cross those with CGN 21500 and possibly larger sweet varieties. 21500 was also supposed to be the fourth tent pepper. I should have isolated seeds for that coming from my current plant soon.

But as I've been attempting to germinate those GW habs, I also started a couple other things. My purple UFO did not grow true, but I started more to see if I can get something on-pheno; on the top shelf, I have two new seedlings from that envelope in rockwool. I also have two very healthy-looking sugar rush peach in there. While I'd prefer to grow the peach outside next year, if I can't get those GW habs to take, I might have to switch, and that could be a pretty good candidate.

So the current plan is to have four one-gallon bags on the bottom with a nice selection of mild to medium hot peppers, and go through just as much hybridization experimentation as I can with rockwool and Khang Starr style mini-Kratky bottles.

HeatMiser said:
I don't remember SRPs being around when I started growing peppers. Everybody seems to be growing them - do they stand up to the hype? I'm already planning my next grow, haha... 

Not a clue. This is the first time I've grown them, and they take for freaking ever to ripen... 
lol.gif

I didn't order them, they were a freebie from either WHP or Refining Fire, don't recall which. Ended up having to go through and research all the seeds I had to prioritize what I wanted to grow, and they finally came up... since they're the only thing I have producing other than Friggitello, I'm really hoping I like them.

internationalfish said:

Not a clue. This is the first time I've grown them, and they take for freaking ever to ripen... 
lol.gif

I didn't order them, they were a freebie from either WHP or Refining Fire, don't recall which. Ended up having to go through and research all the seeds I had to prioritize what I wanted to grow, and they finally came up... since they're the only thing I have producing other than Friggitello, I'm really hoping I like them.

Ha! well, keep me posted, it sure looks tasty!

That's an awesome pod indeed, 'fish! Well done and I hope it lives up to your expectations. Given how many people were saying it's a snacking pepper, I was surprised by its spice level which I'd rank as hot. I'd be curious to hear how yours is as it definitely looks spot on in terms of pheno! It's got a nice level of sweetness to it too though, and goes well in many dishes, both fresh and dried. Dried, their sweetness comes out even more while mellowing out the initial heat.

Nice work for a winter grow, fresh SRPs are something one can look forward to! :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

HeatMiser said:
Ha! well, keep me posted, it sure looks tasty!

Will do!  :cool:

lespaulde said:
That's an awesome pod indeed, 'fish! Well done and I hope it lives up to your expectations. Given how many people were saying it's a snacking pepper, I was surprised by its spice level which I'd rank as hot. I'd be curious to hear how yours is as it definitely looks spot on in terms of pheno! It's got a nice level of sweetness to it too though, and goes well in many dishes, both fresh and dried. Dried, they're sweetness comes out of even more while mellowing out the initial heat.

Nice work for a winter grow, fresh SRPs are something one can look forward to! :)

I figure it'll be on the hot side for me; my tolerance is not exactly the stuff of legend. That's really interesting about it working well dried, though; definitely good information, thanks!

I saw a bunch of bonchi pictures recently, and having washed out and replaced the nutrients on my Kratky plants today, I figured I'd try another Living Death Bonchi style experiment.

Last time I tried with a little gravestone decoration, but it just didn't work out that well. The plant didn't establish enough roots in the right places -- it was too young when I repotted it anyway, I think -- and it was outside for our short season, so it just didn't have a decent chance.

Now, though, I have a bunch of young hydro plants that already have gorgeous root systems, and most of them aren't going to have a place in this year's grow, inside or out. So I figured why not try again? Once most of these fruit (and several have already started budding), I should be able to pick out what's what and which I wouldn't be using anyway.

So I hit Amazon to check for fun things to bury. Went through a couple of themes, and finally hit on exactly what should've already been done.

Dagobah X-wing bonchi. :D

I just ordered this little model. It's tiny, but I figure if I can move a Kratky plant into coir -- something I've done several times -- and wrap its roots around this little guy, it should be a fun little homage to The Real Star Wars Movies. ;)

My Lemon Starrburst are looking happy and healthy. The ones in coir are definitely doing better, though they're all getting the same nutrients... the differences would be that the coir was charged with calmag and the Kratky plants are getting nutrients at a lower concentration (though they should have access to more, since the coir plants aren't soaking in solution). I don't know, I guess science and stuff.

starrburst.jpg

And I already put this up over in the TT glog, but just in case:

threatening.jpg

Last night my wife got it in her head that we had to drive half an hour to meet up with friends and wait an hour and a half at an all-you-can-eat meat restaurant. Turns out she was right; it was worth it.

yakiniku.jpg

If you've never had yakiniku, do yourself a favor and try to find a restaurant. That's a gas burner set into the table; they bring out trays of raw meat that you grill to your liking. It's a normal thing in Japan and Korea, and we have our preferred local restaurants, but for about $25 a person, all-you-can-eat for 100 minutes is a pretty great deal. All of us except my poor, long-suffering wife opted in for the $10 all-you-can-drink as well. I put down a respectable number of highballs.

HeatMiser said:
That's a nice looking pod 'fish.

I don't remember SRPs being around when I started growing peppers. Everybody seems to be growing them - do they stand up to the hype? I'm already planning my next grow, haha... 

Just picked one. :)

srp-pod.jpg

I don't think they're quite ripe. Seems like they ought to darken up a bit, but then what do I know? They've been like this for quite a while, and I got impatient.

The flavor at the bottom is mild and pleasant. I worked my way up from there in small slices and got about half way before I stopped for a break; it does get pretty hot for me. Finishing it ought to be... fun. 
lol.gif

It's not bad. I would not say it lives up to the hype, but it is good, and I'm certainly going to keep it growing. Seems to me it could be a good replacement for a standard habanero in most things. I think the combo of the nice heat in these and the much more pronounced fruity flavor of the Friggitello growing right next to it would be great in a sauce; I figure I'll try actually putting a bit of peach in the ferment when I have enough of both of them.

Little update on my can plants. :)

can-can.jpg

The Starrburst are nice and bushy, I dig that. The Nanbu in back is really leggy, so I'm going to have to top him... unfortunately, the Trippaul Threat in the front isn't all that in focus, but he's happy and healthy. Will get a picture of him and his brothers into the grow thread this weekend, I think. The thrips are back and are now starting in on the Kratky plants, so I need to go through and hose everything down thoroughly.  :confused:

And now for the big 1k! I feel like I'm turning 40 a year ahead of schedule... 
lol.gif

skullbiker said:
Kratky is King!

I'd also love to try DWC; possibly this summer. But I'm very happy with how these little guys work. Several of the candidates are budding, and one already flowered, so hopefully I should be able to start sorting them by type in the next month.

CaneDog said:
Or maybe just a Hell of a grow!  :)

Lookin' good mr. fish!

Your puns are most welcome here, Mr. Dog.

Which, by the way, was one of my favorite books when I was a little kid. My dad already sent a copy for my son. :D

HeatMiser said:
Looking good 'fish! Thanks for the report on the pod. Even though you mention it doesn't live up to the hype, seems like a milder version of a habanero might be versatile around the kitchen. 

Absolutely. I'm not at all disappointed, since I wasn't expecting a miracle pod, and I'm glad that plant is doing well; gotta give it a season to see, but I suspect it's going to become a staple here.

And now, group shot! Snapped this after I replaced the nutes in the bottles and hosed everything down individually to try and de-thrip the tent.

anti-thrips-tent.jpg

Those white trays ended up being, accidentally, perfect for bottom watering the 1-gallon bagged plants, so I plan on making that a habit going forward for my tent plants.

The Lemon Starrburst are looking great! The ones in the coir cans are doing particularly well, as you can see from that nice big leaf front and center. Also, two of my Trippaul Threat are in the bottles right in front; they're also coming in happy and healthy.

Still waiting on my Purple Thunder to come up. They've been in rock wool for ten days now. Fortunately, if somehow none of them pop, Paul sent me a metric ton of those seeds. So starting another round would be no big deal. ;)

That's awesome Mr Fish. I'm digging the bag idea as well but the Kratky take off so quickly that it's hard not to just use that until dirt time... All but 4 of these started from seed January 1; having the spare bedroom was important... Happy growing always Pleasure to follow yours... Cheers
32cd796385f594da7a647a503027450c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yay, another bonchi experiment!
Hope it works out for you, 'Fish.

The restaurant pic is mouth-watering, alright.
We had a similar meal in a small spanish pueblo,
but with ox meat. One of the most delicious meats
I've had the pleasure to eat!

Glad to see the Trippaul Threats are doing well for you.
Here's to some great violet pods! And hoping for some
success with the Purple Thunder.

Back