• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

A Fishy Winter Grow: Stuff in a Tent

Be it ever so humble...

the-new-batch.jpg

Currently, there are three pepper plants on the bottom (the four all the way on the right are garlic experiments). The one that's nice and rootbound in a tiny container on the right is a manganji, which I pretty much just want to see the pheno from. In the bags on the left, there's shishito (which I found out my wife loves, so that goes on the list), and Greek pepperoncini, a.k.a. Friggitello.

I'm really hoping to grow giant white habanero, both over the winter and outside next year, but so far I've had no luck at all getting them to germinate. Which really sucks, because I was hoping to cross those with CGN 21500 and possibly larger sweet varieties. 21500 was also supposed to be the fourth tent pepper. I should have isolated seeds for that coming from my current plant soon.

But as I've been attempting to germinate those GW habs, I also started a couple other things. My purple UFO did not grow true, but I started more to see if I can get something on-pheno; on the top shelf, I have two new seedlings from that envelope in rockwool. I also have two very healthy-looking sugar rush peach in there. While I'd prefer to grow the peach outside next year, if I can't get those GW habs to take, I might have to switch, and that could be a pretty good candidate.

So the current plan is to have four one-gallon bags on the bottom with a nice selection of mild to medium hot peppers, and go through just as much hybridization experimentation as I can with rockwool and Khang Starr style mini-Kratky bottles.

DownRiver said:
Wow, that's a lot of kimchi 'Fish lol. You must have a LOT of friends!

Looks delicious!

Well... my wife certainly has a lot of friends; me, not so much... 
lol.gif
  :oops:

It oughta be good! The mother-in-law taught me, gotta carry on that tradition. Though I think I'll stick to double batches from now on.

In other news, got my Pepper in a Can seeds started. Nanbu in the red in front, Trippaul Threat Violet on the left, and doubling up on the Lemon Starrburst with the two lemon-themed cans in back.

canned-peppers-start.jpg

They're in coir with a touch of perlite. Got 'em on the heat mat in the tent now.  :cool:

PaulG said:
Alright, a beer can grow!

Hope you have great success with them, ‘Fish!

Looking forward to seeing how your Trippaul Threat
does in the White Belgian can from Sapporo  :D

Thanks, Paul! I think I should've set up another can and gotten some Purple Thunder going, but the work is done for today. It's a national holiday here, so I think I need to get out and do some park drinking before we lose the light; unexpectedly beautiful weather today.

No progress on the can front -- though I expect the Nanbu to make an early appearance soon, it seems to be a sprinter -- but I believe I've confirmed that I have, in fact, not eradicated my thrips. So the tent has gotten another couple soakings with soap and neem, which I'll probably repeat more often than is healthy, because it pisses me off something awful.

Trying to figure out how best to rearrange things. I want my seedlings closer to a light, but running two in the tent complicates my temperature management... the bottom shelf isn't quite tall enough for the pepperoncini plant, but having the seedlings and cans down there would mean they get colder when the top light is on, since the top shelf will benefit more from both lights (having top and bottom light cycles match in the tent in the winter would be double plus ungood for both shelves). Having two running in the top at different heights on different intervals would make the airflow situation a little more difficult, but might be the most reasonable option.

Wish I'd thought this part of it through more carefully.  :confused:

Spacing in a smaller grow chamber is always an
issue, 'Fish! Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to
be an easy solution, at least in my own case. The
'thinking through more carefully' is the part where
you decide not to germinate just a few more seeds!

Maybe you could set some of the smaller stuff up
on blocks so everything is the same distance from
the lights? then when things get bigger, you could 
finagle things a little better.

PaulG said:
Maybe you could set some of the smaller stuff up
on blocks so everything is the same distance from
the lights? then when things get bigger, you could 
finagle things a little better.

This would be one option, yeah. Thing is, what'd be going up there would be a dozen little bottles full of seedlings and mild nutes, and if that fell, it could potentially be a bit of a catastrophe for this season.  :confused:

Six days in and I've got hooks up in two of my cans! :)

The Japanese Nanbu are coming through as well as expected after their strong showing in my germ tests.

sprouts-nanbu.jpg

With a surprisingly quick turnaround, one of the KS Lemon Starrburst has also come up!

sprout-kslsb.jpg

A huge thanks to Paul for those, as well as the ones that haven't made their grand entrances yet. :)

Got another couple sprouts coming in for the next season's grow (you know, the one that's getting perilously close to starting).

My CGN 21500's are real runts compared to the rest. Got a lot of good progress on some of the larger varieties, though, so that's good, and solid root growth. I am concerned that the tent is still having thrips issues that are certainly going to start hitting these soon, if they haven't already... just gotta keep hosing everything down with bug murder and throwing in the odd fearful prayer to the Old Ones, I guess.

more-kratkii.jpg

Then there's... whatever this is. Most of the pods seem too runty and dark without enough of a bulge at the top to be true Purple UFO. Maybe they just need even more time to ripen? Seems like I'm 0 for 2 on this variety.  :?:

purple-somethings.jpg

Thoughts? I'd definitely prefer to clear it out to have the room if it's obviously not on-pheno.

Is that plant supposed to be the Trippaul threat aka pdm x bmj? I only had the white and my seeds only grew white. Well purple then ripe to white... those look like crossed or could it be bug stunt? Just guessing. Happy hooking!!!
47def14990d96cf781488df6500280e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bookers said:
Is that plant supposed to be the Trippaul threat aka pdm x bmj? I only had the white and my seeds only grew white. Well purple then ripe to white... those look like crossed or could it be bug stunt? Just guessing. Happy hooking!!!
Sorry about that, it wasn't nearly as clear as I thought when I wrote it. That's supposed to be Purple UFO. It grew from a batch of seeds that generated an off pheno plant last season, and I'm trying to see if there are any true seeds in the batch. I don't think this one qualifies, and I'm looking for more qualified opinions than mine. :)

Back