• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A Little Help Please

Hey
I am kind of curious here.
If I want to grow another plant from a clipping,do I HAVE to use rooting hormone? Are there other methods too?
Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks
J

no don't have to use rooting hormone it just makes it faster / easier.
put cutting in cup of water wait. don't let water get gross.

I've learned rumours online, that honey can help. Also that a "tea" made from the branch tips of willow trees contain natural growth hormone, which would promote root growth. The latter may provide some keywords for you to do your own research

If you got an old fish tank air pump and air stone, that helps when you put it in a container of water. Use the air stone to keep the water aerated to prevent bad bacterial growth and you should get roots within a couple weeks. Expect about a 25% loss this way

I have not yet tried with peppers, but I have taken clippings from basil, put them in a cup of water with hydroponic fertilizer and let it go for a week or so until it starts to sprout roots, then planted in dirt. Has worked every time!

Hydroponic fertilizer? Do you think it would work better if I mixed a very small amount of seeweed extract or fich extrant with the water? Or is that not a good idea?
Sorry,I meant to say fish extract :)

I wish I could tell you! I have zero experience with either of those things! I'm sure someone with more experience than I could chime in :)

I've started basil from clippings in straight water in a glass, which worked fine. From what I've read, the big key is keeping the water fresh - change it every day or, at a minimum, every other day. I haven't tried chiles at this point, though.

Coldgrowth said:
I've learned rumours online, that honey can help. Also that a "tea" made from the branch tips of willow trees contain natural growth hormone, which would promote root growth. The latter may provide some keywords for you to do your own research

Spot on. If you use honey, unpasteurized is preferable. As a bonus, it has natural H202 as well as other anti-bacterial/fungal compounds. There are a few sources of natural rooting hormones, willow as you mentioned, and aloe, which I've used with success, but they're all a bit tempermental and not as easily stored.

Back