• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

A little science experiment of mine

I thought I would share a little science experiment I have been working on for a while now. I took this gallon jar and collected a sample from some swamp like land on our property.

k202sz.jpg

It has about two inches of sediment after it got really settled into the jar, water obviously and many leaves and sticks. There was of course many different small types of organisms in it. Well that was almost a year ago. In the time since I have been observing how the populations of creatures have changed. Many have disappeared. But these strange centipede looking things are not only surviving, but thriving.

20b1gjo.jpg

Hopefully you can see him. There are many like that in their and in the past few months I've noticed their numbers rise while some little white leech like critters, who had been around in greatest number, are all but gone. It's been interesting and I'm suprised it's gone on for so long!

Little baby centipede. Gonna be a lot bigger if they find enough to eat. Depending on what species you have in your area, you might wanna dump him out before that. And this sounds like the kind of thing I do quite frequently.

There is a lot more than one he. Also these little things that look like a flea. They are quite numerous. I am kinda expecting them to run out of food but hey. I thought that months ago..

Am I seeing correctly that it's a sealed jar, no air exchange with fresh air? If so that's really amazing that they've lasted this long.

Pepperjack91 said:
There is a lot more than one he. Also these little things that look like a flea. They are quite numerous. I am kinda expecting them to run out of food but hey. I thought that months ago..
I wonder if the things that look like fleas are springtails? Have you read the excellent book, "Teaming With Microbes"? It talks about the creatures in decaying matter. It is amazing what goes on in that tiny world of bacteria, arthropods, etc.

I haven't.. I'm gonna look up springtails if you say they look like fleas though. Cause these things look just like them in a larger form.

Back