• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A Mysterious Love Story......

So.....
I bought this "Pimenta de Cherry" last year. My crop got hit by fusarium wilt from Lowe's soil.(I do still shop there)

Mycostop pretty well cleaned everything up, but this one plant never produced a pod, despite a full recovery. In late september it was just beginning to flower.

Out of curiosity, I selected this plant as one of 7 to overwinter. A real leap considering I let some real good ones die.

This year, it is leaps and bounds ahead of any other plant as far as production.
07252008123.jpg

It makes thes little canary yellow pods.
07252008124.jpg

They are, in fact, little yellow habaneros.

Tons of heat, delicious habanero flavor, are they mis-labelled?

Regardless, I will want to grow this one again!

Here are some mean looking scoth bonnets I got from the parcel post.
07252008125.jpg

And a purira from IGG that he has been wanting to see.
07252008126.jpg

It had a strange overwintering Potowie.

I made the mistake of cutting it back, and then putting it under lights.

It came back like a machine. But somehow, over the winter, it seemed to wither under the lights.

By spring it was about to die. I put it out with no leaves in april.

It slowly came back, and now it is beginning to flower. I am uncertain whether it will regain it's previous might.

Thanks for asking. :)

Any thoughts on the plant in question? Would a brazillian pepper like the Pimento de chiero taste like a hab?

No joke, this one is a small yellow hab. I love it! I diced one up on a burger, holy burning extacy! Another on a roasted chicken breast stuffed with herbs and cheese! Good God! The perfect pepper for me right now! It burns so exquisitely!lol.

WTF?? cheezydome?? you have been into those budweisers eh? lol. I have been enjoying some homebrews. Cheers!

cheezydemon said:
Any thoughts on the plant in question? Would a brazillian pepper like the Pimento de chiero taste like a hab?

I eat tons of Pimenta de Cheiro when I'm in Brazil, but never had any elsewhere. I guess they're kinda hab-ish, but the climate does things to my senses when I'm there so they might be exactly hab-ish and I'm not making the connection.

That said, I also think that there's a few varieties of this guy depending on geography in Brazil and I've only sampled those that are where I go (Belém). No idea what types make it into the markets outside Brazil.

I'm sure that's completely unhelpful. ;)

That's why maybe this something else. Maybe a P de C crossed with a hab.

My camara sucks, but it is hab shaped, hab textured, hab flavored (with a hint of citrus). Tons of heat. Easilly as hot as my orange habs.

Are all C. Chinense habish? I am still a noob when it comes to the different species.

Either way, a fantstic pepper!

Im a noob myself but mine taste just as you described as well. great producer also. definately one of my favorites this year!

From the chileman database, the gold bullet hab seems most like what I have Rob.

I really would like to nail it down, because I can't overwinter this thing for ever. I may look into isolating some blooms for some pure seeds.

Back