• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

a noob confession

Well when I decided I wanted to spend less money on crappy food and eat better for less of course my pepper addiction got the green light. So Im gonna confess I have never eaten a habanero, and until today never saw one either. I went to the local chain grocery store and checked them out. They look so little and cute but omg they are $8.99 a pound. Guess I will wait until I get my first ripe one. Why do they look so big on my monitor? lol

Maybe the ones you saw at the market are green house grown and aren't as big as the ones you can get straight off the plant in summer...

What type are you growing......They taste different and are pretty hot so have fun.....You will be eating Bhuts in no time....:lol:

I don't eat habs straight up, they're too hot for me. I grow a few for cooking and processing, but I have no desire to discover the joys of ring of fire.

There 8.99 a pound here in NY as well. You get a good bunch for a pound though. If you got 8 habs or so it would probably cost you around 3 bucks and if you've never had them before, 8 habs will last you a good while.

I saw orange habs yestereday for 4.99

AlabamaJack said:
I saw orange habs yestereday for 4.99

What I read on these forums is making me realize just how spoiled we are as far as ease of acquiring cheap hot peppers down here.

They're $8.99 @ my local grocery, too. However, I can get a good bunch for less than $2 & they last me quite awhile. If you just want to try them out, just get like 2 peppers. They're not very heavy so they shouldn't even be over like 50 cents.

If mine look like they might go bad, I cut 'em up and throw them in a freezer bag and into the freezer.

I forget how much I pay. They come from the Dominican Rep. Shop-Rite food chain. Can't remember the cost though.

About $4 for 3 small habaneros here... If I got a pound for $9 I'm not sure I would grow my own chiles. I sure as h*ll wouldn't grow Habaneros if I could buy them for that price, I'd only grow varieties that I can't get at the supermarket.

what currency are you talking about ?

AlabamaJack said:
what currency are you talking about ?

Me? I translated swedish kronor to US$. About 4 US$ for 3 Habaneros.

I think I'm the only one in town who actually use fresh habaneros so selling the ones I grow won't make me rich:)

I hear ya...4 USD for three habs is high as a cats back...

joeknowsjolokia said:
$5.99/# here in minnesota.

ditto, $5.99 - $6.99 where I've seen them, just depends location.

I'm sure you know about this but you should also checkout the farmers market by the basilica in mpls. you can find some good deals & plants for the season. best to drive a truck/suv so you can park where ever you want or where theres a spot to fit ;)

Went to a mexican grocery yesterday to check out the selection and they had huge lush displays of of many peppers, I left there with my eyes glazed over, I'm under their spell. Must grow, must grow.

I must be lucky...habs are $3.99 lb here at our specialty market. I've seen red, orange, yellow, and chocolate. That's starting to end though. It seems the general public had no interest in these 'specialty habs.' We're back to anaheims, red finger peppers, anchos, etc. Bummer. The market even had Manzanos for a while. A damn shame. Business want $$$..makes sense.

Went to the "big city" (really a small town) yesterday and bought 4 habs for almost US$2. Translates to about $30/lb.

F-U when you are complaining:)

I would have bought more if it weren't for the fact that I have dried ones left from previous years. That was a really nice price!

chilehunter said:
ditto, $5.99 - $6.99 where I've seen them, just depends location.

I'm sure you know about this but you should also checkout the farmers market by the basilica in mpls. you can find some good deals & plants for the season. best to drive a truck/suv so you can park where ever you want or where theres a spot to fit ;)

Are they open foor the year yet? I live about 25 minutes south and have yet to go there~

Back