• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

A Pepperhead glog: Pickling, Saucing, and Powdering

Okay Chiliheads,
At the end of the month I will begin my crop for this season, as it seems the hard core chilis take a while to germinate. Then it got me thinking...Why not run a few experiments to see what germination method works best. People seemed to have some issues with the Reapers so I figure I'll start there and do the same with some other superhots and compare the results.
I'm going to try three methods of germination: Overnight soaking in a solution, scarifying the seeds then overnighting in a damp towel, and for a control just straight into the dirt.
For the solution I'm going to experiment with a vinegar base, I'm thinking equal parts vinegar and water and a little H2O2. I'm trying vinegar off the animal digestive tract transportation and deposit theory. Let's see if the vinegar acidity breaks down the shell a little.
I'm going to use a matchbook to scarify the seeds for the damp papertowels.
I will do my best to post temps, soil conditions, water amounts, etc.
All results with some pictures and colorful graphs will be posted.

I know this forum is full of smartypants, many with much smarter pants than me, so I actively encourage ideas and constructive criticisms to make this as scientifically accurate as I can make it. Perhaps a recommendation for the vinegar solution?

What this Glog is: Hopefully fun and educational for the Glogger and the reader.

What it is not: A forum to whine about the seed suppliers. Even the slightest grumble about any of the suppliers of my seeds will get you reported. My Glog, my rules.

So give me some ideas and the last week of January I'll be ready to go! Enjoy!

2 more Jonah, 1 from ground, one from paper towel, and 1 7 pot from ground. total 12/72. 1/6 germ rate overall after 13 days.
By supplier, Dulac has more sprouts overall, w/ 4 7 pots and 3 Jonahs. Burpee is a close second w/ 4/9 sprouts. Still waiting on your Primos to sprout Ryan!! :P

Hippy Seeds finally making a showing! One Ghost popped in the paper towel. Accidentally pulled out a 7 pot while removing the helmet. Put it back in the ground, hopefully it'll pull through.

Oh, and a second Reaper from the dirt.

After 2 weeks that puts me at 19.4% Germ Rate overall.

7 pots- 44.4%
Red Carr Hab- 44.4%
Jonah- 33%
Reaper- 22%

One more Ghost hook from dirt. So here is my new prediction. when the next new variety pops, it will soon be followed by a second. They seem to be sprouting in clusters by variety, a kind of "genetic alarm clock" if you will.

Oh and another hab from paper towel.

One more Reaper in my control group straight in the ground, which makes it all three in 17 days. Up to 18/72 overall or 25% after 17 days. For those of you still paying attention, does that jive generally with your numbers?
I have updated my paper towel method somewhat. I have switched to the Shlogg method found Here. This provides for a more reliable uniform heating method and I believe will yield more accurate results. It's kind of a big change but is in the spirit of the experiment I believe. What the hell, the Journal of Science wasn't going to publish these results anyway.
So far I think the vinegar method is a wash, as not one sprout has arisen that way. I'll call it after 30 days and replant those cells with leftover seeds. So take note, don't pickle seeds before planting.
For such small numbers I would put the results for the two at almost a dead heat. Paper towel, with uneven heating has produced 8 sprouts and the control has produced 10. If I get a sudden explosion of germination from the new paper towel method, then I'll feel comfortable that the results are better that way.

Coming up this spring: Soil experiments! What's a better additive: Store bought powdered fertilizer, Store bought compost, or Rabbit food pellets? Stay tuned.

So my last paper towel Jonah and 7 pot went into the ground and one more PT Ghost went in. That brings my total to 20/72. That's 27% overall. If you take away the vinegar ones I likely killed, that's just under 42% germ rate.

The Butch and Primo I thought were going to be good to go this morning, weren't. One of each looks like it might possibly be peeking, but might just be wishful thinking on my part. Those 2 and the dorset are 0% right now. I'm just going to leave them unmolested for a few days and hopefully with some positive vibes sent their way we'll see something on that front.

Edit to correct numbers.

Just so you know I am taking notes even tho I'm not posting. Very informative. Why rabbit pellets (I'm assuming poop) as opposed to another poop like bat, cow, chicken ect.?

Carribean Red Habs- 5
7 Pot- 5
Jonah- 4
Ghost- 3
Reaper- 3
Primo- 0
Dorset- 0
Butch T- 0

Regular 7 Pots and Jonahs have been very fertile and I'm very excited about them. Red Habs I'm hopeful for (had bad luck with Burpee last year). Still holding out hope for the last 3 to pop. I know some of these can take a month or more to pop so I'm not too disappointed yet. But impatience is creeping up fast.

Just so you know I am taking notes even tho I'm not posting. Very informative. Why rabbit pellets (I'm assuming poop) as opposed to another poop like bat, cow, chicken ect.?
Rabbit food. I read something recently that suggested it because alfalfa contains a chemical that helps plants grow faster, and it breaks down almost immediately when wet. I'd like to compare rabbit poo to worm poo, but it isn't in the cards this year.

Screwing up somewhere! Red Habs shriveling, 7 Pots yellowing. Transplanted some, put them in the window, shriveling! Too much light? Too hot? Gahh! Turned the light off for a few hours, hopefully I can save some. What should I do?

They're under CFLs. I removed the dome and emptied any water I could. I think my heat pad quit on me, too. I'm just going to leave them open under lights and hopefully it'll dry out some. That MG Expanding soil really holds some water. I hadn't watered in at least a week and thought maybe I should add a little. Next day, this. Hopefully I can save some, not all withered. Have a few extra to put in and might be able to recover.

Well,unless some miracle happens it looks like I'll be starting from scratch on a lot of these. Good news is I got a primo to pop this morning. I still have plenty of 7 pots and Jonah seeds, already have new habs in the germinater bucket. Wish me luck!

That sucks about your first batch. Still plenty of time though. I'm starting my second batch of seeds today. Good luck!

That sucks about your first batch. Still plenty of time though. I'm starting my second batch of seeds today. Good luck!
It happens I guess. Still got the Prik kee nu suan growdown coming up, and started. some thai ornamementals. even a few bells popped. It's all good. Frustrating, but good.

yeah losing that growdown will give you something to work towards so not all is lost!!
Hey, you're not allowed to hurt my feelings on my own blog! :)
But now i have extra practice and have lulled you into a false sense of security, which you already have thinking your voodoo grow scheme can beat good old fashioned million year old dirt method.

Back