• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A Question On Pheno

If I took seeds form a correct pheno type pod, what are the chances of my plant throwing out similar pods consistently?

Would you say it increases? Or would you say it's almost a guarantee that most pods would have that correct pheno?

Thanks

It would depend on the original plant's history (where the seed came from). If you got a seed from a plant that has been "stabilized," than you should receive similar results from each seed. But if the plant you have is a relatively new cross, then your chances go down. Keep in mind that every genetic had to come from somewhere, most plants on the market as sold by reputable vendors, should be stable and should produce the same or very similar genetics.

If you ever want to wrap your mind over a fun topic, do some searching on the net for cross breeding and back-crossing. A lot of times a desired genetic will be created and basically inbred to keep the genetics stable. This is a VERY basic view of what breeding entails, but it is very interesting.

And it does not work with every type of plant. For an example, citrus plants are not bred like this. That is why, if you notice, when you buy a citrus tree from a nursery they are all grafted. For citrus, if you plant a seed, you are basically rolling the lottery. You can get just about any combination of genetic from almost all the way back to the orinigal genetics of the tree and everything in between. In-other-words, the seedling from a citrus seed could be anything from better-than-the-original to not fruiting at all.

Firstly there is always a chance that the plant has been pollinated by another plant.
Secondly as mrgrowguy says there will allways be some variation, but a stable seeds should grow very similiar to the mother plant.

But. As I understand your question it is about one pod with a certain look. It is important to note that it is not just the pod, but the plant you are taking seeds from. All pods has the same gene pool (the plants') and the same random combinations of genes.

e.g. if you have a scorpion plant with 30 pods but only one of them has a tail, and you take the seeds from the one with tail. You will not have any more tails on the next generation, than if you had taken seeds from any of the 29 other pods.

Thanks for the responses. Learned more than I thought.

I asked this question because I've noticed that most all reviewed that I've seen reviewing pods on youtube say that they're saving seeds from certain pods because they look cool or are the correct pheno type.

Either way I'm sure this is a good practice!

Thanks

I have been searching but can't find a direct answer on what exactly a "pheno" is... Sorry if this a dumb one but I'm new to growing peppers but from what I have read is it like a cross or something like that ?

Okay so a pheno is a variation within a gene/DNA pool? Just to clarify for myself ...science stuff just confuses me and that happens easily cause I'm a Marine and we are trained to do one thing good and trust me it isn't understanding science lol....

Edit: and sorry I guess I should have spread my wings and searched pheno on other avenues other them this forum...dope

sp33d, no sweat, everybody knows their own field better and nees initiation to new terms.

I think it would be better put as the specific expression of the combination of genes carried by the individual, or plainly: the way it actually is on the outside, in comparison to the other possibilities still hidden in the gene pool (genotype).

so for a simplistic example, blond marries brunette but the kid is a redhead. the two parents were each of phenotype blond and brown but their gene pools had the unexpressed recessive red hair gene, which was collectively inherited to express the redhead phenotype. phenotype would also refer to the whole package of all the different traits that show up on the kid (height, eye color, face shape, etc, etc.). or of interest to us, what the plant and its pods are really like.

I actually researched this a while ago. I found out that I was wrong. It does matter which pod you save, just not like you would think.

On an individual plant, each flower's genetics are not the same pollen wise. It is still a mix of the plants gene pool, so different flowers can produce different off spring on unstable plants. Much like a male's sperm vary in genetic code, pollen will vary.
As a variety becomes homogeneous, the difference between flowers is way less to almost null.

So selecting a certain pod does matter, it's just that the pod shape of said pod maybe irrelevant to the next generation.

Back