• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

tutorial A Simple Guide to Topping and Pruning

I topped my plants three weeks ago and since then none of them have grown at all. Some of them now have some browning at the tips and the stems although still green are very bendy and not sturdy. Did I kill my pepper plants? I mean almost a full month and they havent grow a leaf or anything. Maybe it was to much because not only did i top them I also removed all the leaves because they where really light green.

I topped my plants three weeks ago and since then none of them have grown at all. Some of them now have some browning at the tips and the stems although still green are very bendy and not sturdy. Did I kill my pepper plants? I mean almost a full month and they havent grow a leaf or anything. Maybe it was to much because not only did i top them I also removed all the leaves because they where really light green.

You removed ALL the leaves?!? Yes, this is not a good strategy at all.

jjdillion, If you have pics that would be awesome. You want to leave some foliage on there for photosynthesis.

Yes fimming works also. Fimming is removing some new growth out of the top but not completely topping it. You'll still leave the very top of the plant but the nodes below it will grow chutes also. If done right the top will still grow along with the two new chutes out of the nodes below.

I topped my seedlings after I repotted them from cups and they have all just taken off with new growth. I admit it's hard to do to something you've grown from seed, but the results are amazing. Thanks for the post, Jamison.

Awesome post... I only grow indoors as I live way up north and only have a window facing north (lots of cfl bulbs) I have one cayenne plant that has been growing and producing for over a year and it's still throwing out pods... i've hacked the thing down about 5 times... I just started this plant about 3 weeks ago from seed and just topped it about 5 days ago... lots of new growth...

IMG_0318_zps7922e5d1.jpg

Ok here are the Pictures of my plants. Like i said i topped them when they where fairly good size. Since i topped them and took off the leaves about a month ago they havent done anything. I am wondering two things. One if i topped them and took off the leaves to early, and two if they are still alive or not. I had them in pots of compost but have recently changed to normal potting soil with added nutrients because i though mabye the compost only was the Problem.

Dead or not they are useless if they dont grow. Has been over 40 days now and they havent done anything. People beware about topping your plants to early. Gonna give These another 30 days and if they Show no signs of improvement ill toss them. Kinda sucks cause it leaves me with 5 good plants down from 40. Oh well, least i know not to top and take off leaves until plant is a foot or taller.

The plants seem to be really happy with their topping thus far.

Here's a couple of pics of plants I topped 5 days ago. Both plants had zero growth coming out of the stems when I topped them.

Yellow Moruga Scorpion:
2013-04-22%2015.47.18.jpg

romy6 Mystery Annuum:
2013-04-22%2015.47.59.jpg

Edit: Also, I'm so pleased with how it's turned out with the first ones I did, I've now topped all of my Chinense varieties. I'm leaving my Annuums alone besides the one I posted above because they've already forked at the top.

Top 2 of plants lastnight, a yellow 7-pot and Caribbean Red Hab. If all goes well I will be topping pretty much everything.

Back