• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

AACT's brother: FPE (Fermented Plant Extracts)

Awesome thread. Make sure to do your own side by side test (as the one you posted) I'd like to see if you get the same results as the man and his flowers.

Thanks for sharing

Monkey Hunter said:
I assume you could use whey from yogurt to innoculate lactobacteria like any typical vegetable ferment.  I've never tried it myself, but I do a lot of fermenting to preserve veges and the only difference really would be adding a sugar source to ensure the bacteria/yeast don't starve.
Japan is full of ferments ;-) miso, natto and a thousand others

As MH said, worst case let a "natural" yogurt sit at room temperature, then strain off the yellowish liquid - that's your lacto.

Al

3/5King said:
Awesome thread. Make sure to do your own side by side test (as the one you posted) I'd like to see if you get the same results as the man and his flowers.

Thanks for sharing

3/5,

I dont have too much going on pepperwise (or better said - I do have quite a rotation (I sell pepper-plants)) to make it worthwhile ...

but I was having a little walk through the garden and found a good, fast-growing test specimen ... BEANS!!!!!

EF3677A8-orig_zps0398e741.jpg

D5841BCD-orig_zpsbba62157.jpg

the rows left of the white stick are "just rainwater", the rows right of center are "rainwater and FPE" ...

so now that we established a baseline pic, I will try to do weekly updates from the same positions

Lets see how things turn out ... I guess in 3-4 weeks we should be smarter than today, as bean-grow is quite "action-loaded", at least compared to growing c. chinense :D

cheers, Al

Al-from-Chile said:
Japan is full of ferments ;-) miso, natto and a thousand others

As MH said, worst case let a "natural" yogurt sit at room temperature, then strain off the yellowish liquid - that's your lacto.

Al

yeah i was gonna give that a try later. make a starter culture and pitch it in later.
I'm a professional brewer (not currently brewing) so its kinda my speciality.
sadly i turned down a pure culture of lacto from my mother in law for making yoghurt because i was worried about cross contamination to the work place.

From you post before it would seem beetroot would be one of the best balanced NPK ferts out of the lot. ... Wonder if it is root or leaves??
I make my own yoghurt fresh every week so I guess a tablespoon of that would add the good bacteria needed

i finally found some molasses and pitched all the whey that leached out of the yoghurt i bought today to the bucket. it's already taken on a very dark colour. i avoided giving it a sniff too close, but right now it isn't all that stinky

On a related note, has anyone got experience adding whey directly to plants?  I was reading an article about uses for whey and it mentioned watering plants with it, but that's it.  Anyone know how effective that is and what exactly it does for them?

If I have left over's from starting my next worm bin I'm going to try making a FPE with it.  I'll be collecting sow thistle, burdock, lambsquarter and vetch from hiking trails to feed the worms as we don't generate enough waste anymore, so I might as well collect some extra and see for myself the advantages.

Trippa said:
From you post before it would seem beetroot would be one of the best balanced NPK ferts out of the lot. ... Wonder if it is root or leaves??
I make my own yoghurt fresh every week so I guess a tablespoon of that would add the good bacteria needed
trippa,

it says so in the table - check out the last word before the ppm-values. ("root", "leaf" - its not too obv. for the beet, but check other veggies and you will see what I mean)

and yes, yoghurt bacteria will do ... I would use those as well, except I do have water-kefir (tibetians?) at hand and thats just slightly less messy :D

cheers, Al

Monkey Hunter said:
On a related note, has anyone got experience adding whey directly to plants?  I was reading an article about uses for whey and it mentioned watering plants with it, but that's it.  Anyone know how effective that is and what exactly it does for them?

If I have left over's from starting my next worm bin I'm going to try making a FPE with it.  I'll be collecting sow thistle, burdock, lambsquarter and vetch from hiking trails to feed the worms as we don't generate enough waste anymore, so I might as well collect some extra and see for myself the advantages.

I think whey would be ok, if you dillute it ... my guess its got a ph of "3.something" ... so dont dump it directly on flowers/plants  ;)

I would put molasses/brown sugar in a big bucket full of water and add a good dose of whey ... let sit a couple of hours - instant lacto-muliplier :D

then soil drench that
cheers, Al

georgej said:
well it seems to be showing some bubbles. not too stinky yet. really deep chestnut colour the water has turned.

good you did, young Skywalker :D

Al

ps: You should also be able to get tons of algae/kelp in japan, right?

Al-from-Chile said:

ps: You should also be able to get tons of algae/kelp in japan, right?
you can buy raw kelp in the supermarket, because these nutters eat the bloody stuff!

aside from that, i often cycle to tokyo bay and can get free seaweed.

PepperWhisperer said:
Just make sure you rinse it really well. Otherwise eventually the salts can build up to toxic levels.
as well as a thorough rinse, i then sat the seaweed in fresh water for ten minutes. changed the water and repeated one more time.
osmosis pulls the salt into the fresh water and leaves the seaweed relatively salt free

The ferment water? yeah that is pretty typical. If it was something you were going to eat, you would scrape that clumpy white stuff off. Not sure if it makes any difference in this application.

EDIT: woot! 500th post, now I'm HOT baby!

PepperWhisperer said:
The ferment water? yeah that is pretty typical. If it was something you were going to eat, you would scrape that clumpy white stuff off. Not sure if it makes any difference in this application.

EDIT: woot! 500th post, now I'm HOT baby!
yeah - the white scum is just yeast ... shake it stir it ... its part of the game and doesnt have any bad side effects for the plants

cheers, Al

here another gem of wisdom ...

source: http://www.oregonbd.org/Class/accum.htm

h1_zps00f0b415.jpg

h2_zps38a76a97.jpg

h3_zps622b6f5c.jpg

here you can:
a.) check whats available locally
b.) see what macro and micronute's you want to supply - and then ferment the heck out of your dandelions :D

cheers, A

Cayennemist said:
Love the topic Al!

My biggest and best producing plant is a yellow 7 that I planted 16" away from my compost bin. I was adding grass clippings almost weekly.
It seems like a no brainer to me, the stored energy in the plants is highly soluble for other plants... Or atleast one would think.

I see it similar ... if its available in a plant it pretty much has to be water soluble ... (plants are what? 90% water?) ... and if its water soluble you can reclaim it - and destill the bejeezus out of it 

al

Back