• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Abnormally hot Jalapeño

Hey all! Let me just start off by letting you all know that my knowledge on Chili peppers are slim to none. Just starting to learn about growing and so forth. So forgive my ignorance! :)

To the point! A couple of months ago, I picked up some Habanero and Jalapeño peppers from a local guy on a square nearby, who sells vegetables, fruit, ect ect. When I tried them, they tasted pretty much the same as all other regular chili peppers you get from your local stores around here. However, as an experiment I saved a couple of seeds from them, put them in a pot with some soil, gave it some water, and didn't expect anything to show, due the cold and grey climate we have here (Sweden) without any grow lights or things of that nature. To my surprise, they did grow! Standing around a meter tall to this day, with alot of now yellow Jalapeño peppers and green Habaneros. 

I recently ate one of these yellow Jalapeño peppers and it had a violent and long-lasting burn!
I've eaten super hots before, and although the heat is not close to any of those, it's by far hotter than any other pepper I've bought from a regular grocery store or town square around here. 

Any ideas as to how this can be? and just to make sure, this is a Jalapeño right? :D

u80.JPG

Wow, well that shows how much I knew, hehe. They look identical to what my local stores around here simply label as , "Jalapeno"
But yeah, they do differ a bit from the other ones I've seen from other parts of the world. 

Thanks for the clarification guys! Really appreciate it!

Happy to see a budding pepper head always---good for you to plant them and grow them no matter what they are. And thanks for asking for feedback on your peppers---that is what we are here for.

I always let mine go red before I eat them.
Ditto.
The problem with stuffing lava in yer face seems to be, you actually taste what a green hoopa loopa is like. Formerly sweat producing little slices of pickled jalapenos start to taste more like slightly spicy kosher dills with a green backround.
I much prefer them fresh and ripe now.

Back on topic.

Agreed those aren't jalapenos, or not pure strain.
Aparantly, the seller doesn't know either, if that is what the originals looked like.

Bonus, in my opinion.

Gotrox said:
Ditto.
The problem with stuffing lava in yer face seems to be, you actually taste what a green hoopa loopa is like. Formerly sweat producing little slices of pickled jalapenos start to taste more like slightly spicy kosher dills with a green backround.
I much prefer them fresh and ripe now.

Back on topic.

Agreed those aren't jalapenos, or not pure strain.
Aparantly, the seller doesn't know either, if that is what the originals looked like.

Bonus, in my opinion.
Fresh pods are definitely the way to go once you get the tolerance.

Back