• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

about flowering cfl

Hi guys!!! Im growing one plant in hydroponics system, my question is: will 2 26 watt 2700k each Cfl s (fluorescent bulbs) be enough light for the flowering and bloomig stage?? or what do you suggest?? Thank you

2700k is great for blooms bro, but a more blueish light like a 5500k or 6500k would be better for the vegging stage before the bloom...the more light the better...personally i think two bulbs would be fine....ive done it bro..

Ive got plants under 5000k and 6500k bulbs and they are flowering and producing pods just fine. I don't believe the hype when people talk about the different colors for peppers, maybe with other "crops" but not with peppers. These plant continue to grow and flower at the same time all year long so I do not think that the color change induces blooming. Just my 2 cents.

You could first do a search on this board as this has been covered ad infinitum........
Spend a little time and find out stuff.

Type in "grow lights" just to start.... I got 135 hits.

Es su segundo idioma inglés?

The reason I ask is that the search function will not be very helpful if you're not pretty fluent in English.

Ive got plants under 5000k and 6500k bulbs and they are flowering and producing pods just fine. I don't believe the hype when people talk about the different colors for peppers, maybe with other "crops" but not with peppers. These plant continue to grow and flower at the same time all year long so I do not think that the color change induces blooming. Just my 2 cents.
I didnt mean that he was trying to induce a bloom..just nurture one..as far as "other crops" are concerned...blooms can be induced with color change, and light durations. But we arnt talking about weed Jus Chili..

5000K - 6500K is white, or daylight to be more precise. it is not blue, but a mixture of colors from both ends of the spectrum. yes, peppers will flower and produce pods under 99% of those lights.

If you leave the fact some plants contain a certain light-sensitive mechanism that will only let them flower under a certain spectrum of light to ensure they flower in the right season aside for a moment, you need to understand most if not all plants are light sensitive in a way.

In peppers for example there are many similar mechanisms that mostly affect the hormonal balance of the plant and therefor affecting its growth. too much red from the far end (or IR) will make the plant abandon all real growth and produce an extremely tall, leggy and skinny plant. the lack of any red will produce less roots and therefor less growing hormone and will result in a chubby, bushy plant with only non-viable buds if any... and it goes on and on.

You also need to remember the Kelvin degrees are only the final color made of many different wavelengths. different bulbs use a different "recipe" of achieving that exact final color, so the bottom line is the plant isn't getting the same light or necessarily the light it needs. that's why some bulbs are better than others. it's always better, especially with peppers, to have a complete spectrum 24/7/365 so they could grow and flower properly all year-round.

It's also important when growing indoors to supply enough viable lumens so support the amount of energy needed by the plant to store (in the form of sugar) and use to grow.

Type in "grow lights" just to start.... I got 135 hits.

Es su segundo idioma inglés?

The reason I ask is that the search function will not be very helpful if you're not pretty fluent in English.

I believe he was just asking a question and did in fact search but his search syntax apparently didnt produce results. Really no reason to be rude about it in your response.

Stop attacking Willard! that isn't cool.
There are literally endless posts about grow lights and CFLs in specific, and you know what? most of them were answered by Willard. he's a brilliant man and always willing to help. you ever stopped thinking maybe he knew there was a full and detailed answer elsewhere and thought it would be just easier for everyone if he ran a(nother) search? I mean, even if he didn't and he was just plain ol' rude, which I don't think he was, all you guys are just doing the same thing to him.

I know I wouldn't like getting a hateful comment with little angry faces... would you?

Now back on topic. help the man (write something or do the search for him) or leave it.

Thank you.

Ok, let me ask you THIS...what if the gentleman that asked the question is not FROM Mexico? What if he is from somewhere else, and is FLUENT in English? Also, what if he didn't have the TIME to do the search? Would it not be easier to ask someone a question and know where to go to retrieve that than to sift through 135 threads? And each thread having multiple posts? If someone wants to ask a question, what's wrong with asking it? Does the person need to be accosted for it? I mean come on people, it's a forum on the internet. Do we really need to get all huffy puffy about someone wanting to ask a question?
If there was a "full and detailed answer," possibly posted BY willard, then wouldn't it have made a little more sense than to be rude to someone about not being fluent in English and to just post the link? How many people on here are from non-English speaking countries? Are THEY confronted about it? I think this is the first time I have seen so.

For so many reasons I choose not to address (most) of your comment, but to say a man talking to a fellow countryman in his native language is racist, well... my experience with racists is a bit different.

Nothing wrong with asking a question when you join THP, that's what we're here for!

Nothing wrong with searching either, as was suggested, but that in no way means you can't ask, so let's move on. :)

Perhaps someone should put together a sticky on the topic. I always attempt to search for relevant answers; however, there are times when it is difficult to do so. For example, I was looking for information the other day on growing via LED lights, but searching for "LED" produces no results (maybe too few characters). Perhaps the OP did a search for CFL and also came up empty. Another reason to start a new thread would be if a search returned information posted a couple of years back and you wanted to explore the possibility that new techniques had been developed, or a more successful method had been found. Bottom line is that lighting can be a confusing topic for most beginners - myself included. There are endless choices and many conflicting ideas to sort through, and some of the options can be quite expensive.

I worry I may be too new here to really have a right to say this, but I think it needs to be said. Please don't be a PC cop here. Accusing people of racism is long past old as well.

Back