• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Accidental capsaicin contamination

So this is really funny in hind sight but I feel pretty terrible about it. It all started on Sunday evening when I looked into the paper bags of ripening peppers and found a top one to be molding. I was all "Holy fungus and bacteria invasion Batman!!! I need to process these bad boys A.S.A.P.!" It was about 95% bhut Jolokia with some other miscellaneous hot and sweet peppers. I rapidly grabbed what I had at hand begin making mash. Take note that this was at 3:30pm and I needed to leave at 5 for dinner plans. I began halving and deseeding as fast as possible. I got all the green ones in a sauce pan and the reds in a pot to soften them up. By now it is a hurricane of chopped carrot, onion, garlic and some leftover tomatillos. All this time I am trying to be conscious of not spreading capsaicin to other items in the kitchen but the clock is ticking by fast. I get everything cooked down and blended, jar it and look at the clock. 5:15. Oh balls I'm going to be late! So I scrub the pot and the blender to what I think is adequate wash down he counter and am on my merry way with the fine smell of peppers emanating from every pore.

Fast forward 3 days and we use the same pot to make delicious pumpkin oatmeal. You can see where I'm going with this. The oatmeal is all dished smelling like a tasty bowl of autumn and my girlfriend says "is it just me or is this kinda spicy? Like maybe too much spices?" I taste a bite of mine and get the feeling I am eating a hot ball, maybe too much cinnamon? I say. Well that would not be the case. A few more bites in I recognized that all over mouth burn. The pot had not been washed well enough after two scrubbings with Dawn dish soap and I ruined what should have been a tasty breakfast. Luckily I have built up her tolerance a bit so it wasn't a complete deathly burn for her.

I was amazed at how hot the oatmeal was being contaminated by what could have only been a little residue.

We now know why they are called ghost peppers, they just seem to haunt you!

I been in that situation with my wife and a pot of Mac and cheese the only thing she thinks a bell pepper is to hot for her likening and before the Mac and cheese was in the pot it had bhuts in it. The pot got thrown away. lol

I just recently did some experiments to figure out how to completely clean capsaicin from my hands and from the metal utensils that I use to process them. Rubbing alcohol works perfectly. I used to use rubbing alcohol to clean out my bongs back in the old days. I figured if it worked on that then is should work on chile oil and it did. 

Many years ago...

I used a SS pot at the shared use community kitchen to make hot sauce and the next day used the same pot to heat up apple cider for the kid to sell at the farmers market....the cider had this strange tingle...... :halo: .... it's a good thing the cake baker who was also using the kitchen at that time had all her own equipment.... 

I've found that for non-porous surfaces( glass, SS) straight dish detergent will get the "heat" out.  For porous items (plastic, wood, some silicon utensils, plastic blender or food processor bowls) there's no recovery....  

eventually, it may become necessary to have a 2nd set of appliances dedicated to chiles.  That doesn't have to be expensive....even a $20 coffee blender for grinding dried chiles or a 2nd bowl for the Cuisinart ($40 on eBay) will keep the family safe and happy. 

Yeah, I've ruined many of meals for my kids - much to the chagrin of my wife. I now use a few dedicated pots, but every now and then cross contamination occurs (knives, cutting boards, various utensils) now matter how hard I try to segregate and clean.

The other scenario is to just keep accidentally exposing them to small amounts of chile heat and they'll unknowingly develop a little bit of tolerance.....

;) 

salsalady said:
The other scenario is to just keep accidentally exposing them to small amounts of chile heat and they'll unknowingly develop a little bit of tolerance.....

;)
Here honey, try this.

I've gotten trouble a few times using that line, but she is getting better at handling the heat because of it. LOL

Back