• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Adding ghost peppers

I am wanting to kick up my hot sauce recipe and just bought some ghost peppers (from Jungle Jims for those who will be there in the next few weeks). Anyway, how much should I add for a noticable difference. I am thinking 2 but am wondering if that will be enough. Currently I use 15 habs and 10 serranos.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Never offically measured but usually I get 1 standard squeeze bottle and about 1 standard hot sauce bottle per batch.

I have a similar ratio of peppers in one of my blends. Is it a sauce, or salsa? I have one where I use 10 Red Habs, 3 dried Bhut Jolokias (reconstituted), and 8-10 Serranos depending on size of them. I use that for salsas. For sauce style, I use a similar recipe. However, I blend and boil shortly and then simmer all ingredients without the Bhut Jolokia. When I simmer the sauce, I will put a whole dried Bhut in to simmer with it and take it out before blending once more and then I add Ghost Chile Vinegar I made into it for the vinegar substitute. There are many ways to go about adding the Ghost Chile to your recipes. Anywhere from 1-3 should suffice. Best advice here is to add a little bit and try it. If its not hot enough, add more. Just remember, you cant take anything back out. Its a trial by error type thing. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sterling

Add 1/2 and taste it. If it's not enough add the other half and taste it. Continue until you are satisfied - we have no way of knowing how hot you want your sauce. :)

I have a similar ratio of peppers in one of my blends. Is it a sauce, or salsa? I have one where I use 10 Red Habs, 3 dried Bhut Jolokias (reconstituted), and 8-10 Serranos depending on size of them. I use that for salsas. For sauce style, I use a similar recipe. However, I blend and boil shortly and then simmer all ingredients without the Bhut Jolokia. When I simmer the sauce, I will put a whole dried Bhut in to simmer with it and take it out before blending once more and then I add Ghost Chile Vinegar I made into it for the vinegar substitute. There are many ways to go about adding the Ghost Chile to your recipes. Anywhere from 1-3 should suffice. Best advice here is to add a little bit and try it. If its not hot enough, add more. Just remember, you cant take anything back out. Its a trial by error type thing. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sterling

Holy shite Batman that must be some SERIOUSLY hot salsa. If I made something like that no one around here would eat it but me.

Back