• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Adding sliced pods to normal red sauce!

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on this?

A lot of everyday food i eat, i like to add a heap of normal bog standard red sauce to, and then mix in a bit of my favourite hot sauce to give it some zing..

So, seeing as though i have a load of tiny pods ripen recently, i decided to get a bottle of red sauce and chop & add some small red 7's into it...just as a daily addition to my meals!

Seeing as though the sauce contains vinegar etc and obviously has a really long shelf life etc....i was wondering if me adding my own heat is ok? We always keep our sauces in the fridge anyway....or do i need to cook / sterilize the pods that go into it first?

The max i expect a bottle of this to last is 2 weeks.

When my pods are growing to a decent size i intend to try and make my own sauces from scratch....for which there are a huge amount of threads here to assist me on achieving that goal....but i just wondered if there are any risks in adding my own heat to bog standard tomato ketchup as i'm doing right now!?

Thanks guys :)

Two weeks is a short time. You will be fine, just make sure the pods are ripe, not over. The key is the vinegar, refridgerator and the short shelf time.

Leaving the product out at room temperature, too long can create a mold situation.

A "Pico de Gallo" is basically a raw "Chop Sauce".....with the addition of an acidic such as lemons or limes to moderate it. That can spend a short time in the fridge also.

Have fun with the Heat

Yes I agree with Pic.. you should have no issues if your ph is correct. I use lemon or lime juice to do that.. it should keep it safe.. and as he said 2 weeks is fine.. I would try it slowly adding only enough to get it to the perfect heat level.. if you add too much it may sit too long.. I have had some sauces mellow over time and others that stayed the same depending on the peppers.. so you will have to experiment a bit..
Enjoy :)

If you a 1/4 or more ratio of vinegar(with a Tsp of salt) like I do, peppers will will last a long time at 34-38 degrees. There are people on here that know the exact shelf life standard set by the Feds, Salsa Lady would be one I can think of ATM.

Just to be clear, you're chopping up fresh pods and adding to catsup. Should be fine as long as the pods are washed and not over-ripe, refrigerated and used w-in 2 weeks. Standards aren't really applicalble, since the catsup is an established processed sauce.

It wouldn't hurt to cook/sterilize the pods. You can use a veggie-wash type product, or finely mince the pods, put in a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic cling wrap and microwave for (40-60?) seconds. That will cook the pods without having to boil in water or saute in oil.

Have fun with your sauces, when you get to it~

Back