Admit it...you have GSH

Here in So Cal there is no shortage of Mexican Markets. I like searching for oddities. Even the common ones, if I like them.
I even have some of those sweet peppers growing that I bought at Win Co. Don't know what they are, I just call them "Win Co Sweets". 

But I get it. Once everything is planted and growing, and all the heat pads and lights are put away for the next season, I find myself going through some sort of withdraws. I got to sow, sprout, plant something! So as I pull everything back out mid season only to have my wife look at me as if I'm crazy. I just keep telling her that there are a lot worse things I could be addicted to.

alcohol--yes......women----definately.....good waves----most certainly........cuban cigars----without a doubt.......the need for speed-----for sure....caffeine----u know it.....but capsicum??????????????????????????????????? really???????

Reactions: SL3
StAugieHotPeppers said:
alcohol--yes......women----definately.....good waves----most certainly........cuban cigars----without a doubt.......the need for speed-----for sure....caffeine----u know it.....but capsicum??????????????????????????????????? really???????

LOL You sure we didn't use to hang out?

muskymojo said:
I have grocery store habs to thank for getting me started growing peppers from seed, and now I've been hooked for years. They're like a gateway drug.

The bug got to me in the same way...

Once we've produced our own plants—introduced them to our terroirs—they and their fruit become something potentially different than they may have been at Kroger, Fiesta, or Albertsons.  In this, there is glory, not shame! ;)

It's more difficult for me to not save seed from the store-bought produce.

On the tomato side of the aisle, I've purchased around two-dozen heirloom seed varieties.  Guess what the hardiest plants and most vigorous producers have been, to date?  Grocery store Romas and cherries from the dumb plastic tubs. 

Store stuff?  Plant 'em, and see what happens.

swellcat said:
Once we've produced our own plants—introduced them to our terroirs—they and their fruit become something potentially different than they may have been at Kroger, Fiesta, or Albertsons.  In this, there is glory, not shame! ;)

It's more difficult for me to not save seed from the store-bought produce.

On the tomato side of the aisle, I've purchased around two-dozen heirloom seed varieties.  Guess what the hardiest plants and most vigorous producers have been, to date?  Grocery store Romas and cherries from the dumb plastic tubs. 

Store stuff?  Plant 'em, and see what happens.

I agree, that's much of the appeal for me.  I look at the store stuff and think "I can make this better."

I'll admit it. I have orange habs growing right now. Guess where I got the seeds...........you betcha........the grocery store. Like it was previously stated. When purchased they were barely recognizable as habaneros. Now, in my second season of growing them, (saved seeds from last years harvest) they look like habs on steroids. I also have mini sweets from Perro Farms. They also grew very well. 
   The first step to addressing a problem is admitting you have a problem. Luckily, I don't have a problem! :) Thanks for the laugh Pepperhead.

Tim

Will not buy them.  I do have some orange hab seeds from someone deep down on a seed train in 2009 that claimed they were heirloom from the 80's

Back